First Marines in Australia under new security deal

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
(Reuters) - Some 200 U.S. Marines arrived in Australia late on Tuesday for a six-month deployment, the first of 2,500 troops expected to rotate through a de facto base in Darwin as part of plans to deepen the U.S. military presence in the Asia-Pacific.

The deployment of Marines to northern Australia has sparked concern in China, where officials have questioned whether it is part of a larger U.S. strategy aimed at encircling it and thwarting the country's rise as a global power.

"The world needs to essentially come to grips with the rise of China, the rise of India, the move of strategic and political and economic influence to our part of the world," Australia Defence Minister Stephen Smith said in Darwin.

"And we need to ensure that we do that in a way in which the international community responds to that change, manages that change," he said, adding he believed having the Marines in Australia would enhance those efforts.

The tropical port of Darwin is located 500 miles from Indonesia, allowing the Marines to respond quickly to any humanitarian and security issues in Southeast Asia, where tensions have risen due to disputes over sovereignty in the South China Sea.

more

First Marines in Australia under new security deal - Yahoo! News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You doubt this my friend?Look no further than your space program.Piggy backing the Russians now?Bet no American would have ever thought that would happen.

So... if this is all about the Space Program... then Canada NEVER found their way to begin with. Piggy backing on us since the beginning.

PWNED

I bet you want a restart on that one.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not sure how this became about Canada.

We contributed to your space program but were never leaders in it for sure.

Thank you for that and many other contributions you have made throughtout the 20th century.

I was merely pointing out how the US is in decline and the space program is good evidence of that.

Hmmm... and I thought this thread was about the 1st Marines getting assigned to Australia.

Enjoying getting PWNED?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It was.

I made a comment about imperialism and how it has bankrupted other world powers and it went from their.

It sure did... and you didn't like where it went.

Sorry if I offended you but it does signal a decline in what once was the worlds leading space program. Neil Degrass Tyson has a book out now saying one way for the US to become the leading innovator again would be to triple the NASA budget. Obama( cut it and Congress cut it again.....it's a shame.

TRIPLE NASAs budget? With what?

Perhaps the private sector will take over but with no real profits to be made who would make that investment?

DING! You get a cookie.

Btw, what does pwnd mean?

Google it and click "images" and you'll get an idea.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So... if this is all about the Space Program... then Canada NEVER found their way to begin with. Piggy backing on us since the beginning.

PWNED

I bet you want a restart on that one.
The guys that were sacked by Dief the Chief at AV Roe went to built the Apollo capsule and a variety of goodies. We also put up the first useful satellite. Canadian brains did their part and then some.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that free-lance hookers that follow the bases around or is that now contracted out to the Russian Bride Industry?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The guys that were sacked by Dief the Chief at AV Roe went to built the Apollo capsule and a variety of goodies. We also put up the first useful satellite. Canadian brains did their part and then some.

They sure did.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
(Reuters) - Some 200 U.S. Marines arrived in Australia late on Tuesday for a six-month deployment, the first of 2,500 troops expected to rotate through a de facto base in Darwin as part of plans to deepen the U.S. military presence in the Asia-Pacific.

The deployment of Marines to northern Australia has sparked concern in China, where officials have questioned whether it is part of a larger U.S. strategy aimed at encircling it and thwarting the country's rise as a global power.

"The world needs to essentially come to grips with the rise of China, the rise of India, the move of strategic and political and economic influence to our part of the world," Australia Defence Minister Stephen Smith said in Darwin.

"And we need to ensure that we do that in a way in which the international community responds to that change, manages that change," he said, adding he believed having the Marines in Australia would enhance those efforts.

The tropical port of Darwin is located 500 miles from Indonesia, allowing the Marines to respond quickly to any humanitarian and security issues in Southeast Asia, where tensions have risen due to disputes over sovereignty in the South China Sea.

more

First Marines in Australia under new security deal - Yahoo! News

That's how America expands it's country, a military detachment then lots of US citizens moving into the country and then Australia becomes another state of the US of A

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Quote: Originally Posted by liberalman
part of mexico

Bawhahaha?
What am I missing here? The claim is, US moves in and takes over. Claim qualified with part of a country?

Don't even get me started on Guam AND the Northern Mariana's.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Like Hawaii, Puerto Rico, part of Mexico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands

Once the Americans are in a country eventually they will take it over
[/FONT][/FONT]

Oh you've GOT to be kidding! Mexico? Puerto Rico? The Marianas!