The 2011 Occupy Protests: A Precursor to Meaningful Action

shelphs

Jan 19, 2011
The Occupy protests were a global encampment of public spaces in protest of societal inequalities that undermine democracy and freedom. Because the movement is representative of many different communities, many different focuses exist around the world; however, the unifying concerns deal with the distribution of wealth, the financial system, and corporate and government powers and their interconnectivity.

“We are the 99%” is the Occupy Movement’s slogan; it is in reference to how the greatest monetary holdings are held by the very few, i.e., the 1%, and that the majority of power and influence in the financial system, corporate world, and government is possessed by them. The rally cry is to signify a shift from a voiceless majority to a vocal and influential one.

Protests under the Occupy banner have thus far only been introductory, a precursor to a larger and more narrowed non-violent attack on the status quo. For progress and reform to occur, the Occupy Movement needs to coordinate meaningful protests against specific policy, legislation, or actions brought about by the private and public sectors that exploit and ignore the interests of the 99%.

Society is governed by a value structure – ethics. Laws and enforcement tools are created to define and uphold them, but, as shown by the Occupy Movement, there is too great of a disparity between the 1%’s values and that of the 99%’s. The majority need increased political power to be more politically involved and influential, and this can be achieved by attacking the value system upon which injustices rest.

The movement and continued activism should focus on the ethics of society that legitimize laws and policy that dilute democracy and freedom. The world citizenry must express its refusal to be marginalized. We must create demands based on a new value system and express and defend them vigorously.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
It's true that the movement has already had a very meaningful impact.

Social impact

In the United States, the protests have helped shift the national dialogue from the deficit to economic problems many ordinary Americans face, such as unemployment,[267] the large amount of student and other personal debt that burdens middle class and working class Americans,[268] and other major issues of social inequality, such as homelessness.[269] The movement appears to have generated a national conversation about income inequality, as evidenced by the fact that print and broadcast news mentioned the term “income inequality” more than five times more often during the last week of October 2011 than during the week before the occupation began.[270] The Occupy movement raised awareness regarding undeserved wealth and lack of fairness in American society.[271]

Labor unions have become bolder in the tactics they employ and have been using digital social media more effectively because of the Occupy movement.[272] In New York City, the Occupy Wall Street protest has also provided hundreds of protesters to help in picket actions conducted by labor unions.[272]

On November 10, 2011, The Daily Telegraph reported that the word "occupy" had been the "most commonly used English word on the internet and in print" over the past 12 months according to a top ten list published by media analysis company Global Language Monitor.[273][274] In January 2012, members of the American Dialect Society voted with an overwhelming majority for "Occupy" as the word of the year for 2011.[275]

[edit] Political impact

On 27 December 2011 the Financial Times argued that the movement had had a global impact, altering "the terms of the political debate."[276] Other commentators have taken a more critical view, suggesting the occupy movement has been a disruptive waste of time. Even some sympathetic commentators such as Anthony Barnett, have suggested that in Spain, where the movement once had the support of well over 70% of the population with millions taking part, the popularity of Occupy is now past its peak and has achieved no consequences of any significance. [34] However there were numerous successes at local level [277] and The Economist has reported that Spanish protestors caused their government to pass various laws including new limits on the amounts banks can claw back from defaulting borrowers. [94]

In November 2011, U.S. Congressman Ted Deutch, member of the House Judiciary Committee, introduced the "Outlawing Corporate Cash Undermining the Public Interest in our Elections and Democracy (OCCUPIED) Constitutional Amendment," which would overturn the Citizens United Supreme Court decision recognizing corporate constitutionally-protected free speech rights and would ban corporate money from the electoral process.[278][279]

Also in November 2011, Paul Mason said that the occupy movement had started to shape the global policy response to the Late-2000s financial crisis, being mentioned so often at the 2011 G20 summit that if occupy had been a brand "it would have a profile to die for among the super-elite". [280]

Various journalists along with Jared Bernstein former chief economist and economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden, have suggested that Occupy influenced the President's January 2012 State of the Union address , with the movement creating the political space for Obama to shift to the economic left and speak about the desirability of the rich paying a greater share of the tax burden. President Obama no longer mentions the Occupy movement by name, which analysts say reflects the fact that by early 2012 Occupy had become a divisive issue, unpopular with much of the public. [263][281] [282]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_movement#Impact

shelphs

Jan 19, 2011
... in addition to being a BIG FAT FAIL.
It is the beginning, hopefully. The outrage was too broad-based for specific change to occur through the protests themselves. Specific policies now need be targeted to continue the movement.

A good one for the USA is Super PACs. Super PACs allow for greater money in politics in the USA, which caters to the 1% and their level of influence.

For Canada, evidence-based policy making need be demanded. Ideological views or gut feelings should not shape society when they run counter to statistically, empirically supported policy.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It is the beginning, hopefully. The outrage was too broad-based. Specific polities now need be targeted to continue the movement.

The movement will always have side measures, but I think they'll stick to the very real issue of wealth inequality.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It is the beginning, hopefully. The outrage was too broad-based. Specific polities now need be targeted to continue the movement. A good one for the USA is Super PACs. For Canada, evidence-based policy making need be demanded. Ideological views or gut feelings should not shape society when they run counter to statistically, empirically supported policy.

Not to mention the encampments becoming a haven for drug use, crime, anarchy, filth, sexual assaults, assaults, thievery, and last but not least class warfare!

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Not to mention the encampments becoming a haven for drug use, crime, anarchy, filth, sexual assaults, assaults, thievery, and last but not least class warfare!

Those things are greatly exaggerated and everyone knows they're just Republican/Conservative talking points being fed to the media.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's true that the movement has already had a very meaningful impact.

I read through the cut and paste... and honestly none of what was written points to any meaningful impact. Opening a discussion, proposing a bill is not what would fall under the IMPACT category.

Even Bank of America is trying to sneak their fee hikes back in. I told everyone in here they would once the hype ends.

shelphs

Jan 19, 2011
Most to all does come down to money. The Super PAC example I gave earlier is obvious, but non-evidence-based policy also has roots in inequalities of distribution of wealth and how money buys political access.
Policy that is not based in whole societal good or ignores evidence is rooted in an arcane motivation. However, that motivation usually stems from power and influence. The Conservatives' omnibus crime bill represents a willingness to incarcerate and punish rather than decriminalize and help, as shown by countless studies on the issue and real-life success cases in other governments, e.g., Portugal.

Why ignore these facts. It could be to create an overcrowding prison population with the goal of opening privatized prison systems in Canada or b/c helping "criminals" is ideologically unsavory. And, statistically, criminals are overwhelmingly poor or in bad economic situations.

Whatever the motivation, the policy hurts those less powerful in society, i.e., the poor.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Those things are greatly exaggerated and everyone knows they're just Republican/Conservative talking points being fed to the media.

Oh please. Don't make a fool of yourself! It is right there in plain view and pictures and in the police reports. That would be like me saying the Iraq War was greatly exaggerated.

And you don't speak for everyone and most everyone wanted this scum out of our public parks.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Oh Gawd...another season of this.....:roll:

The Lotion Man - YouTube

The Robin Hood of "progressives" .....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I figure the Occupy crowd served to make the look-down-their-nose crowd uncomfortable in that there, by the grace of gawd, go they - hence the name calling: so they can actually believe they're better than someone

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I do understand the concept and I know that when one small segment of the public suddenly feels that they have the right to set up camp and pile their filth all over the place at the cost of MILLIONS to everyone they are out of line. Public parks are intended for use by ALL, not just filthy vermin.

Unfortunately I have to agree that the protesters should have picked up their garbage when they left and most probably would have given the opportunity instead of being forcibly chased off. I will also say that there were some persons present who were not there to protest peaceably and instead used the situation for nothing but their own enjoyment and to flaunt the law.

If you have such a huge problem with the cost of the clean-up you could have saved everyone "MILLIONS" by rounding up a bunch of corporate VPs and brokers and friends on their 2 hour, 3 martini lunch breaks to all fill a garbage bag as volunteers....except they would have no idea what hard work and voluteerism is about.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Unfortunately I have to agree that the protesters should have picked up their garbage when they left and most probably would have given the opportunity instead of being forcibly chased off. I will also say that there were some persons present who were not there to protest peaceably and instead used the situation for nothing but their own enjoyment and to flaunt the law.

If you have such a huge problem with the cost of the clean-up you could have saved everyone "MILLIONS" by rounding up a bunch of corporate VPs and brokers and friends on their 2 hour, 3 martini lunch breaks to all fill a garbage bag as volunteers....except they would have no idea what hard work and voluteerism is about.
The pigs infiltrate every party....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

It was time for the filth to go... and go they did. It was great to see.

Good riddens Occupiers!

So I should have rounded up some corporate VPs huh? Any other realistic ideas?

Please continue with your logic Nick!

LiesOfTheIntell

Time Out
Feb 19, 2012
London, Ontario
Good riddens Occupiers!
lesser inteligence confirmed!

Small correction: look at the media as a filter which decides which message will be propogated. As such, it is the media who choose this message, it is the media who is responsible for disseminating this lie.

I saw a demographic study comparing the Tea Partiers to the Occupiers. I was surprised at the disparity, the Tea Partiers didn't do well in the survey in any demographic. The Occ's were better educated, more likely to be employed, better informed etc. The TP'ers supported right wing extremists like Michele Bachman, but you don't hear the media harping about what a down and out group of people these idiots are.

Even the methods of the Occupiers suggested "well educated." A big lol at their nuetered nanny state "violence doesn't work" approach. This suggests these are the kids of the well-to-do, the bureacrats, the borgeoise. And let's admit their protest changed nothing since non-violence - contrary to nanny state teachings - doesn't work. *yawn*

Actually it was a huge success at showing just what lengths the corporate governments would go to to maintain the status quo and control of the 99%. It also had the added effect of showing moronic, right-wing a$$holes like you for the useless wastes of sperm you are.
I don't like to take sides, but Nick does have a point. :p However I'm not sure why you would argue with a super-pat asshat with a alias like that. Don't waste your time on fools Nick.

Anyways, bravo to the Occupiers for trying. Unlike many of us, atleast they are trying to make a difference. Hopefully in the future protests will take on more militant tone and increasingly so, as each new protest is subdued with State sponsored violence, be it the violence of a monetary fine, the violence of a jail term, the violence of confiscated possessions.

The lesson to learn, and Noam Chomsky would agree with this, is that violence does work.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Small correction: look at the media as a filter which decides which message will be propogated. As such, it is the media who choose this message, it is the media who is responsible for disseminating this lie.
I keep hearing this lame argument.

Maybe before the internet, it was a legitimate excuse. But we have the internet now, and no shortage of alternative news outlets, from all corners of the political spectrum.

Not to mention, I see time and time again, people use the very same media, they rail against on one issue, to bolster their position in others.

Watch you don't bite off your fingers, while you have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is the beginning, hopefully. The outrage was too broad-based for specific change to occur through the protests themselves. Specific policies now need be targeted to continue the movement.

A good one for the USA is Super PACs. Super PACs allow for greater money in politics in the USA, which caters to the 1% and their level of influence.

For Canada, evidence-based policy making need be demanded. Ideological views or gut feelings should not shape society when they run counter to statistically, empirically supported policy.

That is why we do not want a dipper government. Experience in BC has shown them to be stuck on ideology and ignore reality. Which is why the occupy movement is a fail.
The ones they should be complaining about are the movie stars, rock stars and jocks that make billions and contribute zero to the economy. Not the movers and shakers that provide the majority of high paying union jobs outside of government.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That is why we do not want a dipper government. Experience in BC has shown them to be stuck on ideology and ignore reality. Which is why the occupy movement is a fail.
The ones they should be complaining about are the movie stars, rock stars and jocks that make billions and contribute zero to the economy. Not the movers and shakers that provide the majority of high paying union jobs outside of government.

Thanks for the neg rep. If I am getting that from a right-wing radical like yourself I must be doing something right. Thanks again!

;-)

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The "Occupy" movements did illustrate one major point to all politicians: there is as much anger and dissatisfaction on the political left as there is/was on the right, that led to the establishment of the Tea Party movement in the US. The anger wasn't focused on one issue or set of issues but it is there, and I think that is something the politicians need to be aware of. The "Occupiers" were derided in many quarters but they also struck some chords with many others and they shared 2 common targets with the original Tea Partiers: ineffective gov'ts and excessively powerful corporate lobbies. In large part the difference between the 2 groups is in how they feel the problems need to be addressed.