Driving under the influence of marijuana raises chance of an accident

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
For many years we have seen tests done on peeps to judge how much alcohol it takes to impair ones ability to drive safely. The problem i have is that it has taken this long to publicize the obvious and why do we not see the same tests done on pot users? If there have been any i sure have not heard about them.
Having tried pot a few times over the years, one thing was obvious to me, driving was not gonna happen. Concentrate on concentrating, still not working. Fine for some and to each their own, not for me.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The trouble with marijuana is that its too easy to detect. Saliva swabs and blood tests will test positive days to weeks after smoking, long after the inebriating effect has worn off.

Putting this in perspective drivers under the influence of marijuana are less likely to get involved in a car accident than driving under the influence of alcohol. (personal opinion). I'd rate the effect as similar to driving and texting. Marijuana smokers tend not to speed or take chances... like people who drink. Despite their increased paranoia which leads to increased cautiousness, they tend to misjudge distance, speed and are easily distracted. That's my own personal opinion based on experience. For the record, I smoke marijuana, but I treat it like alcohol as far as driving is concerned. I don't smoke and drive. I will smoke and canoe though...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm speculating, but I would expect that someone under the influence of marijuana would likely fail a roadside test.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I'm speculating, but I would expect that someone under the influence of marijuana would likely fail a roadside test.

Not so, it is only just recently that that Cops have dedicated officers that can administer a test for drugs. They have admitted that in the past they almost never were able to make an impaired driving charge related to Pot stick.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I think the folk who pay for these studies have more money than brains
|Without supporting empirical evidence proving marijuana affects your ability to operate a motor vehicle, smoking marijuana and driving would be as legal as driving and smoking tobacco... which isn't a problem. Nicotine does not reduce your ability to operate a motor vehicle.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
|Without supporting empirical evidence proving marijuana affects your ability to operate a motor vehicle, smoking marijuana and driving would be as legal as driving and smoking tobacco... which isn't a problem. Nicotine does not reduce your ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Actually, it does. It's called distracted driving - especially in a car with the ash tray tucked under the cup holder....

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
urine tests may detect marijuana 1-5 days after an occasional use, 1-3 weeks in regular users, and 4-6 weeks in multiple daily users. Since urine tests do not detect the psychoactive ingredient of marijuana, THC, but rather other, nonactive metabolites, they in no way measure impairment;

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
But you might have been swerving to avoid a road hazard. A blood test would indicate that you smoked marijuana at some point, but doesn't prove you are currently under the influence.

The roadside "dance" is the only way I know that proves someone who smokes marijuana is currently under the influence of something and is not competent to operate a motor vehicle,

Like I said, I smoke marijuana but I don't smoke and drive. I'd likely test positive for marijuana days to weeks after smoking marijuana even though I would be competent to operate a motor vehicle.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
But you might have been swerving to avoid a road hazard. A blood test would indicate that you smoked marijuana at some point, but doesn't prove you are currently under the influence.

The roadside "dance" is the only way I know that proves someone who smokes marijuana is currently under the influence of something and is not competent to operate a motor vehicle,

Like I said, I smoke marijuana but I don't smoke and drive. I'd likely test positive for marijuana days to weeks after smoking marijuana even though I would be competent to operate a motor vehicle.
Argue all you want. Unless there are a hell of a lot of obstacles on the road over a distance, you're not going to be all over the road - and the dashcam will tattle anyhow.

I smoke it too ... and am smart enough to enjoy it at home or some place close enough to walk.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You confuse alcohol with marijuana. Alcohol increases risk tolerance and impairs judgement at the same time. At extreme levels it affects vision and balance. Marijuana decreases risk tolerance, while impairing judgement. Drivers under the influence of marijuana are more fearful and tend to stay in their lane. They also tend to drive slower than normal. Yet they tend not to notice a school bus pulling into their lane because they were too busy being distracted by yakking about the something unimportant while they change the radio station.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You confuse alcohol with marijuana. Alcohol increases risk tolerance and impairs judgement at the same time. At extreme levels it affects vision and balance. Marijuana decreases risk tolerance, while impairing judgement. Drivers under the influence of marijuana are more fearful and tend to stay in their lane. They also tend to drive slower than normal. Yet they tend not to notice a school bus pulling into their lane because they were too busy being distracted by yakking about the something unimportant while they change the radio station.
I confuse nothing. Weaving is weaving.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
My observation is that people under the influence of alcohol can't drive a straight line. People under the influence of marijuana can drive a straight line. They can walk the straight line too, unlike people under the influence of alcohol. However they might have a problem touching their nose blind folded and remembering a series of words. People under the influence of alcohol would also have a problem touching their nose blindfolded, but they would likely do better than marijuana users at recalling a series of words.