Gagging us softly

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Free speech is in retreat throughout the West

There's a sizzling piece by Mark Steyn in the current issue of National Review, which reveals quite how far democracies have gone in restricting free speech.
Citing, among many, the example of a musician on the Isle of Wight who was charged with racism after performing Kung Fu Fighting in the hearing of a Chinese couple, he makes the point that it is no longer possible to infer the legal status of words from the words themselves:
“There were funky Chinamen from funky Chinatown” is legal or illegal according to whosoever happens to hear it. Indeed, in my very favorite example of this kind of thinking, the very same words can be proof of two entirely different hate crimes. Iqbal Sacranie is a Muslim of such exemplary moderation he’s been knighted by the Queen. The head of the Muslim Council of Britain, Sir Iqbal was interviewed on the BBC and expressed the view that homosexuality was “immoral,” was “not acceptable,” “spreads disease,” and “damaged the very foundations of society.” A gay group complained and Sir Iqbal was investigated by Scotland Yard’s “community safety unit” for “hate crimes” and “homophobia.”
Independently but simultaneously, the magazine of GALHA (the Gay and Lesbian Humanist Association) called Islam a “barmy doctrine” growing “like a canker” and deeply “homophobic.” In return, the London Race Hate Crime Forum asked Scotland Yard to investigate GALHA for “Islamophobia.”

Got that? If a Muslim says that Islam is opposed to homosexuality, Scotland Yard will investigate him for homophobia; but if a gay says that Islam is opposed to homosexuality, Scotland Yard will investigate him for Islamophobia.
Two men say exactly the same thing and they’re investigated for different hate crimes. On the other hand, they could have sung “Kung Fu Fighting” back and forth to each other all day long and it wouldn’t have been a crime unless a couple of Chinese passersby walked in the room.
Well worth reading in full.

Article source: Free speech is in retreat throughout the West – Telegraph Blogs

SteynOnline - GAGGING US SOFTLY

"Your repeated violations of the Verbal Morality Statute have caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand."

So many 'offended' people and those yet to be offended...wait until retro-censorship takes hold to scrub us clean of the imagined white liberal guilt in cartoons, movies and song. The future's so bright we'll hafta wear shades, man.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Shameless bump.....just because it deserves it.

I am a huge fan of Mark Steyn......whom I believe was a high school dropout, and yet is one of the brightest commentators on the political scene today.......

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Shameless bump.....just because it deserves it.

Bump...

Just because so many people here need to read this...

Sadly reading a thing and understanding a thing can be two very different things.

But as I abhor stifling any speech (I like to keep everything out in the open where I can see it) and sincerely worry about the slippery slope, I will bump as well.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Bump.

Free speech, even moronic free speech, oh wait I said that wrong.

Feeb spleech, eben murronic feeb speech, mulst bay pertected.