Move stuff across canada

johanz

Apr 18, 2010
Hi. We might move from Vancouver to Toronto this summer. We do have some household stuff we need to bring with us. What is the best way to move our stuff? Some of the forum advises are:
1. Move stuff by train
2. Truck rental like U-haul
3. moving company
What is the best and economical way to move? I think the train is a good one. Could somebody give us the advise that we need. Please let us know.
Thank you so much.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hi. We might move from Vancouver to Toronto this summer. We do have some household stuff we need to bring with us. What is the best way to move our stuff? Some of the forum advises are:
1. Move stuff by train
2. Truck rental like U-haul
3. moving company
What is the best and economical way to move? I think the train is a good one. Could somebody give us the advise that we need. Please let us know.
Thank you so much.
I would think truck rental would be the cheapest, but more work on your part. Does the stuff include furniture?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Train is OK if you're not moving anything that's time sensitive of perishable.
I formerly worked for a company that hauled RV's across the continent by Truck.
At one point RV's where moved by Train, but the RV season is only five months
long (for most people in most places in Canada), so the (I'm not kidding) sometimes
three month shipping time by train didn't work well.

If your budget allows, leaving your move up to the professionals at a moving
company is the way to go. You'll (I'd assume) have your hands full with your own
family, new job, getting the kids settled into new schools, etc....

If the budget doesn't allow, but time does....renting a Truck and humping your own
possessions is always an option. If you take the US route....the roads are better
and your trip's still about 2600 miles long, and you can have one Hell of an issue
with customs with a truck full of misc. un-itemized 'stuff' crossing the border twice.
I'd be shocked if you didn't have an issue.

The Canadian route is longer, with roads that can be much poorer in quality, but
it avoids the international border (twice) and the issues you'll almost certainly have.
This route is a bit shy of 2800 miles long, and that's a long time to be in a Truck by
yourself, but a longer time to be in the cab of a Truck with anyone else. Trapped in
a tiny space like that for several days with your wife (or wife & kids...) could be
enough to kill a relationship...as you can't avoid each other at the end of the trip.

If you can, hire movers....& either drive your own car or fly to your destination. Now
I'm watching for some helpful member who has just created an account today to
(by coincidence...;-)) start advertising their moving company (or hamming it up with
a fake testimonial about some specific moving company) on this SPAM free Forum.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If your stuff is replaceable and worth less than twenty thoudsand dollars, sell it there and buy at your destination.
And make sure what is left will not arrive broken at your new place. Pad it well.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
An X2? I would think that if you could even find one, it'd cost a bundle to use it for moving:

Bell Labs 1956

johanz

Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone tried by train? How much does it cost or how do they price for the cost? thanks