Usa teacher iddle School in North Carolina wrote 'loser' on a sixth grade student's

critter171
teacher at Enka Middle School in North Carolina wrote 'loser' on a sixth grade student's assignments. When the girl's mother complained, he said he was "just joking," reports KABC.

The girl's mother, Patty Clement, says it's no laughing matter. "This is telling her 'You're a loser. You're not going to go anywhere,'" she said.

The girl has been removed from teacher Rex Roland's class. The school district says they're looking into the matter.

Read more: Teacher Writes 'Loser' on Kid's Assignment | momlogic.com

sad thing about this is he stop and did it again and than most parents if not all.. support this guy but wouldn't come on camera i wonder why.

Walter
The way you write makes it very difficult to understand your point.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171View Post

teacher at Enka Middle School in North Carolina wrote 'loser' on a sixth grade student's assignments.

Adults should never belittle kids, joking or not.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Critter has a disability: dyslexia, I think he said.

MHz
When do we get to read the article?

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

When do we get to read the article?

When you click the link Critter provided and start reading?
Teacher Writes 'Loser' on Kid's Assignment | momlogic.com

Here's more:
Rex Roland: N.C Teacher Calls Student a Loser on her Paper | NowPublic News Coverage

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Kids need to know the truth and not be molly-coddled. False praise is very detrimental.

lone wolf

Kids need to know the truth and not be molly-coddled. False praise is very detrimental.

...so is putting them down

AnnaG

Truth is one thing, belittling is another as is mollycoddling. But, I am not surprised you can't tell the diff.
False praise has nothing to do with anything here.
It's a fairly well-known fact that if you keep calling a child an idiot or they are worthless, they will eventually start to believe you. After that, their sense of self-worth is about zilch. And that is not conducive to benefiting society.

critter171

all i did was copy and paste

i agree which concern me more is the parents support the teacher, but some local teachers support the mother.

Critter has a disability: dyslexia, I think he said.

thank you

at six grade there is no true being a loser so if you really want to know the truth right now every person on this forum is and can easily be a loser for taking time to write and post things. Now if it was high school and upper they may have a point, but i never meet one teacher that use negative feedback in good way.

TenPenny

You're a loser.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

You're a loser.

Thanks for being truthful.

critter171

Truth is one thing, belittling is another as is mollycoddling. But, I am not surprised you can't tell the diff.
It's a fairly well-known fact that if you keep calling a child an idiot or they are worthless, they will eventually start to believe you. After that, their sense of self-worth is about zilch. And that is not conducive to benefiting society.

So much easier with a lot of help, i wish i could just fly down to ms and smack all the school board members and kick the mayor

Machjo

There's a difference between false praise and keeping your mouth ŝut.

Let's look at it this way:

One kid is gifted, or has dedicated parents who help him through his education. He does well in school, and his teachers are always praising his maths, science, language, and other abilities.

The other kid suffers from dyslexia and dysgraphia, his parents ignore his education, and he's essentially on his own. So, does the teacher praise him when he does write a legible sentence (I'm not talking about false praise in the sense of saying his writing is like that of a calligraphic master's when it clearly isn't but the legitimate praise for having written a readable sentence), or does he criticize the student for his messy handwriting?

If he criticizes the student, he's sending the message that nless you're perfect, you're better off giving up and not bothering anymore. If on the other hand he praises no perfection but improvement, then he's sending the message that as long as you are always improving you will keep earning his praise.

If a child can never win praise no matter how hard he tries, he will eventually give up. If, however, he knows that as long as he shows improvement he will earn his teacher's praise, he will keep improving in order to attract that praise.

This is the same everywhere. In karate too, the sensei will reward the student for successfully learning his white belt kata and give him a yellow belt. He does not criticize him for not performing at a black belt standard.

Machjo

But it does create more delinquents which is great for creating jobs in the policing industry.