What should we be doing

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As Xmas approaches and before we get into heavy Xmas shopping I am wondering which of two paths to take and in what proportions- One buying a bunch of substandard gifts at absorbitant prices from ripoff artists for family to add to an already inflated pile of junk, or TWo sending a couple of generous contributions to charities where it will be used by people in dire straits or those who don't even have the necessities of good drinking water, wholesome food, or medical supplies. What do you think?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That sounds sensible to me, I just try to take a little extra effort, to get value and not support parasites.
I don't know anyone that doesn't like home preserves of one sort or other. Food baskets are also awesome. Soaps, household items like blankets, towels, etc. Gift cards. There's lots of charities around. :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Last October as I went to check my mail one day, I found a catalogue nestled among the bills, junk mail, and mags. It was from World Vision and it completely changed the way I look at giving gifts.

Instead of sending money off to a favorite charity, with the catalogue you can chose what to send to people of need in this country and others.

Last year I helped equip a medical clinic in my daughter's name; provided clean drinking water for a village in my sister's name; provided seeds and tools for three families in order that they might help themsleves,in my mother's name and provided food and clothing for three families in Canada, in my best friend's name.
All recipients recieved cards that explained what the gifts were and where they would be going. All my family was happy with this idea, so much so, that we all are giving gifts from the World Vision catalogue this year.

I think what captured my imagination was the fact that I could give help and hope directly through this method instead of simply sending a check and having no idea what was done with it.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Last October as I went to check my mail one day, I found a catalogue nestled among the bills, junk mail, and mags. It was from World Vision and it completely changed the way I look at giving gifts.

Instead of sending money off to a favorite charity, with the catalogue you can chose what to send to people of need in this country and others.

Last year I helped equip a medical clinic in my daughter's name; provided clean drinking water for a village in my sister's name; provided seeds and tools for three families in order that they might help themsleves,in my mother's name and provided food and clothing for three families in Canada, in my best friend's name.
All recipients recieved cards that explained what the gifts were and where they would be going. All my family was happy with this idea, so much so, that we all are giving gifts from the World Vision catalogue this year.

I think what captured my imagination was the fact that I could give help and hope directly through this method instead of simply sending a check and having no idea what was done with it.

Nifty idea if thieves or politicians don't scoop the stuff and offer it up on black markets or use the stuff themselves.
I think I'll see about getting a catalog.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't know anyone that doesn't like home preserves of one sort or other. Food baskets are also awesome. Soaps, household items like blankets, towels, etc. Gift cards. There's lots of charities around. :)

When I mentioned "parasites" I was referring those who produce and sell inferior junk, not charities. Some of my favourite charites are "War Amps", Children's Hosp., food banks and Diabetes (my nephew has the juvenile type quite severely). I also am impressed with what Mowich says in the post above. Most of us in this country have so much and many don't realize it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nifty idea if thieves or politicians don't scoop the stuff and offer it up on black markets or use the stuff themselves.
I think I'll see about getting a catalog.

If you are leery about supporting some charities, I would suggest checking to see who supports it. I would contribute to anything Alex Trebek approves of, I'm not sure which one(s) it is, maybe World Vision.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I checked World Vision out and found that they are one of the few charities that actually use most of the contributions to help people, and yes it is the charity that Alex supports. They have a staff of mostly volunteers who do the paperwork, answer phones, send out the catalogues and cards.

The idea that by helping people help themselves really appeals to me. The problem with most charities, I find, is that they denigrate people instead of empowering them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you are leery about supporting some charities, I would suggest checking to see who supports it. I would contribute to anything Alex Trebek approves of, I'm not sure which one(s) it is, maybe World Vision.

I'm going to keep them in mind next time I have a "generous moment".

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's just that I would perfer to see my money going there rather than subsidizing people who want to profit from the manufacturing and marketing of junk, a lot of it tied to the latest crazes.

I hear you, JLM. My family, friends, and me are all of a 'certain age' when shopping for a gift is difficult because at this stage of our lives we have most if not all of what we need, wanting is another nothing. Rather than spend fruitless time deciding on what to get each other, we can now relax and simply decide which wonderful gift we can choose from the World Vision catalogue, knowing that we are making a difference in the lives of people who haven't got what they need, let alone what they want.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
When I mentioned "parasites" I was referring those who produce and sell inferior junk, not charities. Some of my favourite charites are "War Amps", Children's Hosp., food banks and Diabetes (my nephew has the juvenile type quite severely). I also am impressed with what Mowich says in the post above. Most of us in this country have so much and many don't realize it.
lol I wasn't even thinking about parasites when I mentioned charities.
There's a few I like, too. Most deal with kids, breast cancer, and lung diseases.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I hear you, JLM. My family, friends, and me are all of a 'certain age' when shopping for a gift is difficult because at this stage of our lives we have most if not all of what we need, wanting is another nothing. Rather than spend fruitless time deciding on what to get each other, we can now relax and simply decide which wonderful gift we can choose from the World Vision catalogue, knowing that we are making a difference in the lives of people who haven't got what they need, let alone what they want.
That sounds good, Mowich. :)
I'm going to give it a try. It'll be a break from giving out food, although I don't know anyone that doesn't like food. lol

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
That sounds good, Mowich. :)
I'm going to give it a try. It'll be a break from giving out food, although I don't know anyone that doesn't like food. lol

Ah FOOD! Trouble is my family is scattered all over the map in Canada and the U.S. and I have found that shipping food doesn't work all that well in these circumstances, though my daughter in Tacoma is always bugging me for cookies. She finally realized that the U.S. doesn't like that one bit as I might be shipping bombs or something. :lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Ah FOOD! Trouble is my family is scattered all over the map in Canada and the U.S. and I have found that shipping food doesn't work all that well in these circumstances, though my daughter in Tacoma is always bugging me for cookies. She finally realized that the U.S. doesn't like that one bit as I might be shipping bombs or something. :lol:
I have family in the States, too. 1 in Germany. He sends this rum/plum thing I forget the name of, and we send him maple syrup. :) US relatives and friends get gift cards. We also send lottery tickets to people, too.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have family in the States, too. 1 in Germany. He sends this rum/plum thing I forget the name of, and we send him maple syrup. :) US relatives and friends get gift cards. We also send lottery tickets to people, too.

I imagine the maple syrup is a bit hit with your family, AnnaG, I know it would be with mine. I never got into purchasing lotto tickets, for myself or anyone else maybe because I am the unluckiest person there is, never win anything, never have. When I purchase raffle tickets that local volunteer groups use to raise money, I always put my friend's names on them, and they don't win either. Must be cursed or blessed depending on how one would look at it. :lol::lol: