U.S. lawmakers take more shots at Canadian healthcare

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
U.S. lawmakers take more shots at Canadian healthcare

WASHINGTON — Throughout the long and divisive debate about health-care reform in the United States, Canada's health-care system has often served as a popular punching bag for both Republicans openly swinging at it and Democrats ducking from any suggestion that Canadian-style reform is in the cards.

It came in for another drubbing this week, just days before a likely vote on a sweeping reform bill this weekend in the U.S. House of Representatives.

This time the attack came from Dick Morris, a renowned political strategist who was once one of Bill Clinton's closest advisers, in an opinion piece entitled "Canada's Healthcare Disaster." The column was published earlier this week in The Hill, a widely read congressional newspaper in Washington, and has since shown up on various political blogs and websites.

In the piece, Morris makes unsubstantiated claims that Canadian doctors are deserting the profession after "more than a decade of public health care with mandatory coverage."

Unions "control the entire health-care process" in Canada, he added. In Manitoba, he wrote, they're to blame for long wait lists since they refuse to allow procedures to be scheduled on nights or weekends.

"The unions are doing to health care in Canada what they have done to education in America - stifling creativity, reinforcing bureaucracy and extending waiting times."

Morris did not respond to requests for an interview on Thursday, but his piece is nothing new in the United States in recent months. It echoes attacks on Canada's health-care system that have come from all quarters: politicians, conservative pundits and even the CEO of Whole Foods, who wrote in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece that 830,000 Canadians are waiting to be admitted to hospital or to get treatment.

"I know enough about Canadian care, and I know this bureaucratic, socialized piece of crap they have up there," Louie Gohmert, a Republican congressman from Texas, told Congress over the summer.

"One in five have to die because they went to socialized medicine."

Another Republican congressman suggested Canada doesn't care about old people.

"Life is precious," Georgia's Paul Broun said. "Some would say: 'Well, she's 85 years of age; we should just let her die.' And that's exactly what's going on in Canada and Great Britain today. They don't have the appreciation of life as we do in our society, evidently."

Chris Sands, a Canada-U.S. relations expert at the Hudson Institute in Washington, said Americans are in a period of great uncertainty about health-care reform, so it's not surprising some are looking north to either understand public health care or to demonize it.

"We're in a time when everyone is throwing out theoretical ideas based on what they think they know, and Canada is the great social experiment, it's a laboratory for reform," he said Thursday.

"The problem is we, as Americans, don't know an awful lot about Canada and so we're vulnerable to the demagoguery. Some of us know Canadians and say: 'Hey, Canadians have done this, and they seem healthy, and so it must work.' But others don't. The important thing is to make sure we're having an accurate and intelligent debate, and sometimes that hasn't been happening."

Morris is a political consultant and Fox News commentator who worked mostly with Republicans before becoming one of Clinton's most trusted advisers.

He was Clinton's campaign manager during the former president's successful bid for re-election in 1996, but Morris's tenure was cut short two months before the vote when it was revealed he'd allowed a prostitute to listen in on conversations he was having with the commander-in-chief.

He's since become a harsh foe of both Bill and Hillary Clinton, writing books critical of them.

CTV News | U.S. lawmakers take more shots at Canadian healthcare

I know Canada's Health Care system is not perfect but where does one get such information ?

Do Canadian feel like these comments represent their Health Care system ?

I certainly do not feel like my BC Health Care is represented in this light..

Why is it that each time the US talks about Health Care it must drag in Canada or anyone else at that. Can they not build a system of their own to meets their needs to properly cover those not protected by health insurance ?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
really? Americans taking pot shots at Canada? Tell me it isnt so.:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am always amazed at the ability of commentators to spew utter bull**** about another country, and keep a straight face.

I read the article and I wouldn't characterize it as "utter bull****. I'm not sure how much of it is true but I did see a couple of truths. There ARE problems with our healthcare system (as much as we hate to admit it) It's obviously underfunded for what the majority of the population demands and it doesn't deal well with people who are in agony awaiting such things as joint replacements.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Americans that need healthcare are uneducated and are the most gullable.

American HMO's are greedy and are gouging the American people.

Drugmakers are charging more for drugs in America than they sell to other countries that have government healthcare.

If America adopted the Canadian Healthcare as is the quality of life of all Americans would be raised by a thousand percent.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
"The unions are doing to health care in Canada what they have done to education in America - stifling creativity, reinforcing bureaucracy and extending waiting times."

Wait times... in education? Also, I don't want a creative answer to my multiple choice question,
"The answer to question 3 was f."

"But teacher there is only a, b or c?"

On top of that, it has been shown in other places that our bureaucratic health care is a lot cheaper than their private health care. So, how is bureaucracy bad?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I read the article and I wouldn't characterize it as "utter bull****. I'm not sure how much of it is true but I did see a couple of truths. There ARE problems with our healthcare system (as much as we hate to admit it) It's obviously underfunded for what the majority of the population demands and it doesn't deal well with people who are in agony awaiting such things as joint replacements.
Any article with this in it must bebull****e. One in five die because of socialized medicine? We don't care about old people?

"I know enough about Canadian care, and I know this bureaucratic, socialized piece of crap they have up there," Louie Gohmert, a Republican congressman from Texas, told Congress over the summer.

"Life is precious," Georgia's Paul Broun said. "Some would say: 'Well, she's 85 years of age; we should just let her die.' And that's exactly what's going on in Canada and Great Britain today. They don't have the appreciation of life as we do in our society, evidently."

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Any article with this in it must bebull****e. One in five die because of socialized medicine? We don't care about old people?

In the time it takes to explain what the truth is, the lie has travelled all the way around the world.

Of course our health care has problems, what exists which cannot be improved. The issue is that nobody ever wants to talk about what is good, and so people are pretty sour in Canada about a fairly good health care system.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
In the time it takes to explain what the truth is, the lie has travelled all the way around the world.

Of course our health care has problems, what exists which cannot be improved. The issue is that nobody ever wants to talk about what is good, and so people are pretty sour in Canada about a fairly good health care system.

There is no perfect system, but I will gladly work with what we have today and move forward..

To say Canada and Britain rather have elderly folks die is grim and could be compared to the US letting children die in poverty. Its all in the eye of the beholder and can be misconstrued to meets ones agenda.

Lies always seem to move like lighting and truth like molasses. Isn't it wonderful..

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
There is no perfect system, but I will gladly work with what we have today and move forward..

To say Canada and Britain rather have elderly folks die is grim and could be compared to the US letting children die in poverty. Its all in the eye of the beholder and can be misconstrued to meets ones agenda.

Lies always seem to move like lighting and truth like molasses. Isn't it wonderful..

I think the proper response, when people say we let the elderly die, is to look them straight in the eye, and say:

"Oh my, no! We prefer to let the young ones die. Their parents are still around to make more."

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"
U.S. lawmakers take more shots at Canadian healthcare"

Who cares?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think the proper response, when people say we let the elderly die, is to look them straight in the eye, and say:

"Oh my, no! We prefer to let the young ones die. Their parents are still around to make more."

Maybe when vital organs become dysfunctional and the patient no longer finds any enjoyment in life, the kind thing maybe just to let Mother Nature take her course.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Maybe when vital organs become dysfunctional and the patient no longer finds any enjoyment in life, the kind thing maybe just to let Mother Nature take her course.

I personally think that sometimes we should even take over for mother nature, but both are touchy subjects best left up to the families, not the health care system.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

The farming of organs in the US is now big industry. They may want you to believe Russia and China have a corner market on the business but they need to look into the mirror..

60 Minutes did an article last week on how Japanese Mafia got special privileges to kidney transplants at UCLA ahead of long waiting patients that died. One wonders how one can sleep with blood money on ones hands..

Yakuza - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Last edited: