Wasps in the house

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
I'm having to deal with a dozen wasps (the insect;-))a day in our house,i cant seem to find where they are coming in,all the windows are double and i'm not seeing any wasps between the windows,the basement is free and clear of wasps and also has the double windows so now i'm thinking they are nesting in the chimney area and somehow coming through the ducting to the heater vents.I suppose turning on the heater might solve the problem but wasps are a beneficial insect to the environment and burning them up is the last option..
Tomorrow i will ask my landlord to go up on the roof and investigate.
As i'm renting i'm going to presume its his problem to deal with,however knowing how cheap he is about doing anything he may just say "Wasps in your apartment are your problem":roll:

Any one have any tips?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You may have a nest in the walls. Wasps are a medical risk and they can damage your landlords property. Its in their best interest to find how they are getting inside the house or if they are causing damage.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm having to deal with a dozen wasps (the insect;-))a day in our house,i cant seem to find where they are coming in,all the windows are double and i'm not seeing any wasps between the windows,the basement is free and clear of wasps and also has the double windows so now i'm thinking they are nesting in the chimney area and somehow coming through the ducting to the heater vents.I suppose turning on the heater might solve the problem but wasps are a beneficial insect to the environment and burning them up is the last option..
Tomorrow i will ask my landlord to go up on the roof and investigate.
As i'm renting i'm going to presume its his problem to deal with,however knowing how cheap he is about doing anything he may just say "Wasps in your apartment are your problem":roll:

Any one have any tips?
Any tips? Yeah! Since people are allergic to these and one bite can kill - get the problem fixed really fast. Better to burn the wasps then have a friend die.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Can I assume you are talking about Yellowjackets? We had quite a few in the early Summer but they seem to be gone now.
In Prince George when I was ten or twelve years old, I accidentally blundered into a nest of them. In just a few seconds my eyes were just about swollen shut. My mom counted 37 stings....I was sick for three or four days. Some years yellowjackets seem more aggressive than others....Maybe it depends how close the nest is.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
We have 3 different kinds here, long mostly black mudwasps that seem to be quite docile, yellow and black ones about the size of bees that seem to be content to mind t6heir own business, and larger yellow and black (sometimes cream and black) jobbies whose back legs dangle as they fly. They are a bit aggressive.
Found some pics. This is the western yellow jacket. It's the one that seems to be content to go about its business.
[FONT=arial, tahoma, Times New Roman]

Mud wasp (AKA mud dauber wasp):

[/FONT]

I found out it's called a yellow hornet. Nasty things that get smacked when I see them:

The hornets seem to like living in walls.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
The ones we have are your first picture variety,Good point about chimney blockage lonewolf,i'm also concerned that if i light up the furnace they may invade the house by the hundreds

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
'tis the season. The onset of the cold along with the lack of food make wasps start to act stupind, like fall bikers getting in their last ride. This is the time of year when I always seem to get stung. The nests can be hard to find, they will make their way into any hole, crack or crevasse, and if they are in the walls they'll be hard to find, but should be fairly easy to exterminate once you do.

Watch the chimney!! If it is blocked you'll have more to worry about than angry wasps, carbon monoxide can back up into the house and can kill in a matter of minutes.

There are several products on the market to kill these pests, the best time is when it is cold and the critters are lethargic. Getting rid of the nest, if it is in the chimney or ductwork may require the services of a professional, are at least a great deal of care. Good luck.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
A stethoscope may also help you locate the critters if all else fails. Once it warms up a bit and the start to get active you might be able to hear the buzzing if they are in the walls or ducting. Tedious, but cheaper than an exterminator's time.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
As i thought my landlord is saying its up to me to have a contract with a heating furnace systems technician to have my furnace and chimney cleaned anually.The way i see it its his furnace and chimney and as i'm renting its up to the landlord to supply me with a properly functioning heating system as part of the rental contract eh!
Anyway its $100 for the furnace cleaning guy to do his thing and i'll begrudgingly pay but after 14yrs as a perfect tenant i hope his next tenants bite him in the butt.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I dunno, I'd check laws regarding landlord/tenancy in your province. You list your hmoe town as Montreal but I don't know if that's where you are living, Quebec can be different than everywhere else. Unless your lease states that you are responsible for maintenance, which would be unlikely, that is the landlord's responsibility. This isn't the same as keeping the place clean, the driveway clear or grass cut. Imagine if you had to replace the roof, you incur the cost and he reaps the benefit.

Keep any reciepts, you may want to use them for recoup your costs, even if it means taking them to small claims court.