Has the world become too complicated for politicians?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
..and I mean for them to be effective.

The world has become a nest of vipers. There are so many layers of complicated issues, how can anything be managed effectively?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

The world has become a nest of vipers. There are so many layers of complicated issues, how can anything be managed effectively?

The answer is simple. Delegate. Politicians need to hire competent and capable people and that is it. Let the knowledgeable ones make decisions. I don't want the Mayor to be responsible for decisions the Fire Chief makes. I don't want the Premier responsible for decisions the health boards make. I don't want the PM responsible for decisions the Chief of Defense Staff makes. These people should be (and almost always are) more experienced, have more training and have a greater understanding of what they need to be doing. Government should hire them, give them some basic priorities and then get out of their way.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They have a thousand committees going at once. How can they make any sense out of it?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
But there are so many issues that science and globalization has made nearly impossible to govern, no matter who and how decisions are made.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We don't want the government to do everything but we also don't need anarchy.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
But even that is another cog in the wheel of complication. For their own political survival they have to show they are doing something, even if they can't. It all costs money and that creates even more problems.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
A step in the right direction would be to turn the present system upside down. Currently we send money to Ottawa and they send it to provinces and municipalities as they see fit. We send money to provincial capitals and they dole it out to municipalities.

We should be sending most, if not all our money to the local governments and the provincial and federal governments should have to have to ask the lower levels to fund their programs. If the Federal government wants to increase the size of the military they should have to convince a majority of mayors.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A step in the right direction would be to turn the present system upside down. Currently we send money to Ottawa and they send it to provinces and municipalities as they see fit. We send money to provincial capitals and they dole it out to municipalities.

We should be sending most, if not all our money to the local governments and the provincial and federal governments should have to have to ask the lower levels to fund their programs. If the Federal government wants to increase the size of the military they should have to convince a majority of mayors.

Hey, I like that idea, in general at least.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
We should start the "Do Nothing" Party. Here is the first draft of our campaign brochure.

What We Will Do About Healthcare

Not a whole lot really. If too many people are dying we'll have a meeting.

What We Will Do About The Economy

We'll wait for things to pick up.

What We Will Do About Education

We'll randomly call a Principal occasionally. If all looks good we'll call it a day.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol Kreskin, I think some pols find their own navels too complicated for them.
In general, I agree with Cannuck. But it is possible to delegate without having committees to take care of the committees that take care of the committees that look after stuff.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We should start the "Do Nothing" Party. Here is the first draft of our campaign brochure.

What We Will Do About Healthcare

Not a whole lot really. If too many people are dying we'll have a meeting.

What We Will Do About The Economy

We'll wait for things to pick up.

What We Will Do About Education

We'll randomly call a Principal occasionally. If all looks good we'll call it a day.

Politicians are quick to take the credit when they don't do anything and the times are good and plenty quick to shift blame when they do nothing and things go down the drain.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
lol Kreskin, I think some pols find their own navels too complicated for them.
In general, I agree with Cannuck. But it is possible to delegate without having committees to take care of the committees that take care of the committees that look after stuff.

But then everyone looks into the life of that qualified person and discovers he was found running around naked at a pool party 30 years ago. The politician must then have him resign in disgrace. The other political party runs with it painting them all as evil psychopaths, knowing that if enough airplay is given on youtube and someothertruthsite.org many people will believe it and everything collapses. The politicians spend money and effort trying to fix all the bs and nothing every gets done.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Well that depends on your definition of : mean, them, effective, world, become, nest, vipers, many, layers, complicated, issues, how, anything, managed, effectivly.

I mean if you want to have a conversation with a bunch of lawyers about what lawyers do then you are going to have to stop being so vague and choose a specific point to discuss.

Please make all replies to my legal representation.

Heartless Bastard and Thugg LLP.
1 Inwiththebankers Place,
Toronto, On.
F0K-Y0U

;-)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well that depends on your definition of : mean, them, effective, world, become, nest, vipers, many, layers, complicated, issues, how, anything, managed, effectivly.

I mean if you want to have a conversation with a bunch of lawyers about what lawyers do then you are going to have to stop being so vague and choose a specific point to discuss.

Please make all replies to my legal representation.

Heartless Bastard and Thugg LLP.
1 Inwiththebankers Place,
Toronto, On.
F0K-Y0U

;-)

I'm still waiting for a definition of the word 'is'.