Fall

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Holeee! It's 8pm and it is as black as the ace of spades outside, there is fresh snow on the mountain tops and I keep having thoughts of dens to curl up in and hibernate.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I had the kids in bed at 8, tea made, the house all closed up... it was a nice feeling... hibernation describes it well.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I like the change in the seasons, so glad we have them here in the north west.
There is a cozy feeling coming over the evenings now, turning the heat on a little
and closing windows earlier and earlier, starting to look at my sewing machine again, fits with the season, I'm getting the sewing bug, have had that every fall
since I was a teenager.
We had the longest warmest summer I can remember for years.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Fall is in the air isn't it? It only got up to 13 degrees here today. It was chilly in the house this morning. I finally had enough of being cold so I turned on the furnace to take the chill off. I just realized that I never turned the switch back to the off position. No wonder we are both feeling a tad sleepy. Have to do that before we go to bed soon.
The end of summer makes me sad. I love Spring and Summer. I'm just not a Fall & Winter person. Talloola is right. We have had a wonderful long warm summer. Weather report states it wil be back to 20 by the weekend. I hope that's true. I'm just not ready to let go yet. About 3 more weeks or so and it will be time to empty out the flower beds and leave them somewhat empty for winter.
The sewing bug hits me at this time of the year too. I have already made a decision that I am not sewing Halloween costumes for the grandkids this year. Last year I asked over and over if they wanted me to make anything and I never got an answer - until about a week before Halloween. I had 3 costumes to pull together. Luckily the girls went in pre-made. I did Mario and Luigi and The Bell Hop from Disney's House of Horrors! Making everything big enough to fit over warm clothes!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hot and humid in Hogtown. The nights are cool though, just right for cruising and spending a couple hours yakking with the gear heads. I love Autumn! The colours start soon and the weather turns agreeable and cool. I know that soon I can get my leather jacket, my armor, my comfort out from the bag in the closet and again enjoy it's embrace.

This year there is no tension or hassle about the drive up to the near north for a little decompression and appreciation of the change in seasons. Kids are off on their own making their lives up in their own way, the car is running great, and we two old love birds still have a couple of songs in the repertoire yet. Maybe an over night at a cottage on a lake somewhere. Plenty to choose from now.

A quiet walk, following the dog's nose as he roots along the ground for the last smells of summer.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
To me fall is waves of sandhill cranes.

When I lived up north on the farm, I was sitting at the kitchen table looking out over the meadow when a fleet of B52 bombers skimmed my roof and landed in the meadow. Sandhill Cranes are huge and majestic. It was aw inspiring. Only time I ever saw them up there.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Today it is pouring rain - filling creeks and rivers. The grass in the yard is already too long and cannot be cut. Weather forecasts all seem to be so out of whack these days. Seems we are to move up to around 25 by the weekend. I sure hope so. Need that time to get the yard winterized. Another month and on the first few days people around here start getting their Christmas Lights up. They don't turn them on but they get to them before it's too wet and cold.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Since i moved from Toronto to Chilliwack, all we get here is Spring and Fall, with a couple weeks each set aside for Summer and Winter. Of all that it is the Falls that i miss the most, specifically canoeing in Algonquin in mid October, the Park almost empty, the leaves in full fall colour, a fresh chill in the air at night, a sunny glaze to the days. It's mostly coniferous forest out here, in a temperate rain forest. The only thing that marks the change of the season is the disappearance of the sun, and the relentless, endless patter of rain on my window.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Did you go away for the summer? Were you not here for all the snow we had last winter? Take a drive up over the Hope-Princeton Highway if you want to see Fall. The golden glow of the trees is beautiful. Better to carry an umbrella than a snow shovel.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Yeah, we had snow last winter, but hardly any the year before. There are certainly things i like about BC, just things i miss about Ontario, and especially the rugged north country of that province. The thing i miss the least though is the stifling, humidity drenched heat of the urban summer in Toronto.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah, we had snow last winter, but hardly any the year before. There are certainly things i like about BC, just things i miss about Ontario, and especially the rugged north country of that province. The thing i miss the least though is the humidity drenched mid summer heat of the urban summer.

Doesn't sound like you have explored BC's north country. There are lots of places to rival anything Ontario has to offer. The only thing BC doesn't have are large Maple forests. That is about the only thing I miss from my childhood, fall in the Eastern Townships. In fall, I like to hunt edible mushrooms and just being in the forest.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
Love the fall. the sunsets are so much more colourful. if your in the city do what i did get out to the country for a weekend. it's gorgeous this time of year.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's a nice crisp day today in Central Nova Scotia. Was quite hot at noon, but a breeze has picked up now and it's quite nice out. Good soccer weather!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's a nice crisp day today in Central Nova Scotia. Was quite hot at noon, but a breeze has picked up now and it's quite nice out. Good soccer weather!

We will be in Halifax for 3 days mid October, then on the train to montreal,
is it the good time for all of the color.