How Long Before Women Are Considered Equal

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
http://www.ralphmag.org/1/fetish-nu290x289.gifhttp://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0331/hhf_women_090331/20090331?hub=TopStories

"Currently there is a maximum of four player inductees and women are judged and considered against men."

What's wrong with that. I think a female hockey player should be able to stand beside the guys. Haley Wickenheiser should be a lock when she retires. She's been a dominant player for years. To me, changing the bylaws to make it easier for woman is the wrong approach. It lessens the accomplishment of the females. They should instead review the criteria and not make it so NHL centered.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Personally, I could never understand why women would want to be equal to men in anything. Why would they lower their standards?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Personally, I could never understand why women would want to be equal to men in anything. Why would they lower their standards?
Hey Cliff - how are things?
I don't mean this in a nasty way but - I've always wondered the same thing. I have always wondered why women want to mimic the way men dress, why they want the "manly" jobs like being a fireman for example. Just because men are the stronger of the two for the most part, doesn't make men greater. We were never meant to be like men, never meant to play manly sports with men. Nothing wrong with playing any sport - just do it with your equals. Men with men. Women with women. There are so many jobs women can have where equal pay occurs so I repeat, why would any woman want to be a fireman. That's the one job that I just don't get. Go be a lawyer or whatever but dress like a woman would - leave the suits and the manly shoes at the store. Women are moving back into more feminine attire which is such a good thing. It was horrible to visit the shoe section of the store and not know if you were in the men's or women's section. Most men defer to the woman in their life for most decisions. Women did not recognize their own power. Men and women will never be equal. Each will always have their own light to shine. Pay is the only area lacking.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Cliffy and Islandpacific - I absolutely agree with you.
As for the equality of men and women in sports, I really don't think it's possible. I think that to provide fair competition, men's and women's sports should be separate, like they are now. Men are physically stronger, and that's a fact that cannot be just brushed aside.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In many native societies the women held much of the power. They owned the home and contents. They made decisions of general interest to the tribe. Men were warrior, fishing and hunting chiefs, but women held the power. They had the final say. It is not commonly known because the European migrants only recognized patriarchy and would not negotiate with women. Most of the chiefs who signed treaties did not really have the authority to do so. Most didn't understand the concept of ownership of land or central governments. Women were seldom allowed to participate in the decision making process because of the dominant society would no recognize their authority.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They are equal...Men are just smarter, stronger, and more intelligent.......My God, what have I done???? I was kidding....honest...;-):lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I guess a loooooong time if they wait for men to give equality to them. There are many areas where men and women can compete on an equal playing field. Physically men are superior that's just the way we're made. There are area's that women are superior to men.

Trying to level those areas out only hobble one to make up for what's lacking in the other. To hell with that. Play to your strengths and when you win you will deserve to win.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
There are many areas where men and women can compete on an equal playing field. Physically men are superior that's just the way we're made. There are area's that women are superior to men.

Trying to level those areas out only hobble one to make up for what's lacking in the other. To hell with that. Play to your strengths and when you win you will deserve to win.

I don't think it's about making the playing field equal. It's about expanding the view. It is the Hockey Hall of Fame. It isn't the NHL Hall of Fame or the Men's Hockey Hall of Fame. If one is to look at the impact Haley Wickenheiser has had on hockey, she deserves to be in there when she retires. The Hall's attitude is that her impact is not as important as she wasn't impacting the right league or group. Splitting it up with women and men lessens the accomplishments in my opinion.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"As for the equality of men and women in sports, I really don't think it's possible. I think that to provide fair competition, men's and women's sports should be separate, like they are now. Men are physically stronger, and that's a fact that cannot be just brushed aside."

There are all kinds of sports where physical strength is not an issue: Archery, shooting, bowling, golf, horseback riding/dressage, figure skating, diving, just to mention a few.

As far as the Hockey Hall of Fame, women have played hockey, what, 20 years at the most? Suddenly should there be same number of women in the Hockey Hall of Fame as men?

Just asking. Have no desire to be politically incorrect.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
There are all kinds of sports where physical strength is not an issue: Archery, shooting, bowling, golf, horseback riding/dressage, figure skating, diving, just to mention a few.

With the addition of some others such as motorcar racing, mountaineering, et cetera, are, as you say, sport. Everything else, like hockey, basketball, football, are just games. We tend to confuse the two. We are also confused with what equality is, when in fact we only achieve equality in death, we will never achieve it in life. Trying to achieve equality in life only makes us miserable because it requires government to mandate penalties and rewards in a perverse manner in order to achieve a pseudo equality. We have forgotten that we are only guaranteed equality under and before the law, and now we don't even have that anyomore.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The reason why China is kicking our asses economically and in exports is because women work the same jobs as men

If women want those cushy CEO jobs held by the old boys club the rest of them are going to have to pick up shovels, hammers and various other tools and get some calluses.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
The reason why China is kicking our asses economically and in exports is because women work the same jobs as men

If women want those cushy CEO jobs held by the old boys club the rest of them are going to have to pick up shovels, hammers and various other tools and get some calluses.

Petros, believe itor not, but I have seen this kind of arrangement. That is why I don't like the idea of equality between men and women. I have seen this idea twisted to the degree when "equality of sexes" was understood like women have to work the hard jobs along with men, and that's equality for you, nothing else! during the communist times, and even now, our women are encouraged to work in construction, in mining, in the factories. And it's not just handing out some papers, or cloeaning, or doing some jobs like these. It's the real hard job, along with men. Even now I often observe road works, when the supervising male stands and smokes, while women actually do the hard work. That's what equality often amounts to - women get the hardest jobs in the traditionally male sphere of work, yet are encouraged to work there. I don't believe that women should be miners. I don't believe that women should be construction workers. I don't believe that women should pave the roads. We are equal to men when it comes to jobs that require intelligence. At least, we have all the chances and oportunities to become equal to them. But when it comes to hard manual labor, I think that the women should be excluded from that. Because physically we are weaker. And that is a fact that's got to be admitted. Men are suited for hard physcial labor, women are not. I don't mean to say that women should be useless - I don't like useless people at all, be they male or female it makes no difference. A woman that stays at home earns just as little respect from me as a man would. I just don't like the twisted way equality between the sexes is perceived in. There should be a line drawn somewhere.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Personally I'd rather see women do what nature intended and that is to be the best mom possible with the full support of the dad and the community. There is absolutely nothing better for a nation than a strong family unit.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
A woman that stays at home earns just as little respect from me as a man would. I just don't like the twisted way equality between the sexes is perceived in. There should be a line drawn somewhere.

In many circumstances there is no choice for one person to stay home if there are children to be raised. Often it is the mother, but not always, it depends on who can commit more time to earning a living, and whose job pays best. Sometimes that is the mother. I have a great deal of respect for stay at home parents, and I've seen where "tag team parenting", (shuffling shifts and professional child care) falls off the rails.

That being said, I've seen many cases where women want to do heavy work and are well suited for it and do it just as well as men, (in some cases better). Where this pseudo equality runs amok is when the woman wants the pay but can't physically do the job, or childcare or other things get in the way. The "equality" machine springs to action and actually compensates for shortcomings thereby penalizing other workers who have to carry the extra load.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
CTV.ca | Hockey Hall of Fame ready to induct female players

"Currently there is a maximum of four player inductees and women are judged and considered against men."

What's wrong with that. I think a female hockey player should be able to stand beside the guys. Haley Wickenheiser should be a lock when she retires. She's been a dominant player for years. To me, changing the bylaws to make it easier for woman is the wrong approach. It lessens the accomplishment of the females. They should instead review the criteria and not make it so NHL centered.

I'm not sure that they are anymore than apples= oranges, they are just different.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Personally I'd rather see women do what nature intended and that is to be the best mom possible with the full support of the dad and the community. There is absolutely nothing better for a nation than a strong family unit.

You bet, Petros.