Aging inmate wants longer jail term to avoid working!

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[SIZE=+1]Aging inmate wants longer jail term to avoid working![/SIZE]
China National News
Thursday 25th December, 2008
(ANI)

New Delhi, Dec 25 : A 69-year-old Chinese man begged a court to jail him for a longer period after he was sentenced to two years in prison for robbing a woman.

Besides being jailed, the court asked Fu to pay a fine of 6,000 yuan (875 dollars) for robbing a woman of a bag containing more than 9,000 yuan worth of valuables at Beijing Railway Station, reports the China Daily.

However, Fu begged for longer jail term for his offence so he could spend his twilight years in a warm place where food was aplenty.

He said he was too aged to support himself by doing farm work in Qidong, his hometown in Hunan province.

He said that village authorities offered him a monthly subsistence allowance of 600 yuan, which he complained, "was too little to support myself"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's a sad state of affairs when jail provides you with a BETTER living situation then being 'free'.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember as a kid in Ottawa one winter, I'd seen this crowd hovering around this man standing there quite calmly in fact, while an alarm was sounding in the background and a shop window was smashed. The guy literally waited for the cops, and when the cops came he just calmly annonced that he was the one they were looking for. They never even bothered handcuffing him, opened the back door to the police car, and he gladly went in. As the car was driving away, he waived at the crowd behind him.

Well, let's face, it, jail is preferable to sleeping outside in winter.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There's always a few drunks here who break a window or some other small offence, just to have a warm place to be for a few months.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now here's where I see a problem. If you don't break a window, you have to stay in a poor hostel. What are the conditions there, I don't know. But I would assume that these people had tried them before. So if they consider jail to be preferable to that, then I'll assume that the poor hostels are pretty bad. Why not make more of our charitable donations tax deductible? Then we could give even more than we do already to help these shelters. But I guess the government can't afford that because they need the money for corporate bail outs, war, overpriced paintings, party contributions, etc. etc. etc.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
If the cost of replacing windows gets too high perhaps the merchants will consider funding affordable housing?

That's the trouble with being rich: those smelly rotten poor people.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
What are the conditions there, I don't know. But I would assume that these people had tried them before

With the -10 temp's Vancouver has seen the reports were out talking to the homeless and asking why they won't go to a shelter. They're answer is that when they are in the shelter they're stuff gets stolen. For someone who doesn't have much having stuff stolen is a big deal. At least in jail it's all kept safe for them until they're released.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good point. So obviously these shelters need money. If more of our charitable donations could be tax deductible, then we could give more to shelters, education (maybe even schools with dorms if they have enough money?), etc. rather than wars, 10-million dollar paintings, corporate bailouts, etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
[SIZE=+1]Aging inmate wants longer jail term to avoid working![/SIZE]

China National News
Thursday 25th December, 2008
(ANI)​

New Delhi, Dec 25 : A 69-year-old Chinese man begged a court to jail him for a longer period after he was sentenced to two years in prison for robbing a woman.

Besides being jailed, the court asked Fu to pay a fine of 6,000 yuan (875 dollars) for robbing a woman of a bag containing more than 9,000 yuan worth of valuables at Beijing Railway Station, reports the China Daily.

However, Fu begged for longer jail term for his offence so he could spend his twilight years in a warm place where food was aplenty.

He said he was too aged to support himself by doing farm work in Qidong, his hometown in Hunan province.

He said that village authorities offered him a monthly subsistence allowance of 600 yuan, which he complained, "was too little to support myself"

Give him a big rock pile and a sledge hammer each morning and he don't get to eat until they are all broken. (give him a one inch mesh that every piece has to fall through).

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Give him a big rock pile and a sledge hammer each morning and he don't get to eat until they are all broken. (give him a one inch mesh that every piece has to fall through).
Canada needs judges like you ;despretely .

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If the cost of replacing windows gets too high perhaps the merchants will consider funding affordable housing?

That's the trouble with being rich: those smelly rotten poor people.

That might work if all the merchants were actually rich. There are a lot of store owners that are far from rich themselves.

Maybe some fat-cat CEO's would be willing to give a little bit of their gross riches instead?;-)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I remember as a kid in Ottawa one winter, I'd seen this crowd hovering around this man standing there quite calmly in fact, while an alarm was sounding in the background and a shop window was smashed. The guy literally waited for the cops, and when the cops came he just calmly annonced that he was the one they were looking for. They never even bothered handcuffing him, opened the back door to the police car, and he gladly went in. As the car was driving away, he waived at the crowd behind him.

Well, let's face, it, jail is preferable to sleeping outside in winter.
They don't call it "Holiday Innes' for nothing. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They don't call it "Holiday Innes' for nothing. :lol:

I remember years ago there was an old wino in Victoria who would do his best to arrange it to be locked up for the winter months. One year in particular i remember it was for stealing a pair of sunglasses in December. :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
A simple case of teaching and providing some skills and a place to work which is far cheaper than a correctional institution.

If you want to see what hard prison punishment creates, look to Central America where torture is part of the prison experience.
They release some of the nastiest buggers that soon return to the system for reoffending.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When I lived in Quesnel, we had a old rubby that used to take a shopping cart and go to each store and steal something on the first snow fall. Then he would take it to the cop shop and push it back and forth until they took him in. One year they tried to ignore him so he threw a rock through their window and yelled, "Hey! It's cold out here. I'm going to freeze to death."
One winter he got sick and was in the hospital dying. One morning he got up and walked out the door and started walking out of town. They found him out by two mile flat frozen to death.
He once told me that he had been the chief of the Red Bluff Indian Band but that the Department of Indian Affairs drove him to drinking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A simple case of teaching and providing some skills and a place to work which is far cheaper than a correctional institution.

If you want to see what hard prison punishment creates, look to Central America where torture is part of the prison experience.
They release some of the nastiest buggers that soon return to the system for reoffending.

They just locked him up in the city jail and kept him busy washing cop cars and I think they found him useful in keeping the younger inmates in line. He was Okay when he wasn''t drinking- I think his biggest sin was he didn't have too many other hobbies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When I lived in Quesnel, we had a old rubby that used to take a shopping cart and go to each store and steal something on the first snow fall. Then he would take it to the cop shop and push it back and forth until they took him in. One year they tried to ignore him so he threw a rock through their window and yelled, "Hey! It's cold out here. I'm going to freeze to death."
One winter he got sick and was in the hospital dying. One morning he got up and walked out the door and started walking out of town. They found him out by two mile flat frozen to death.
He once told me that he had been the chief of the Red Bluff Indian Band but that the Department of Indian Affairs drove him to drinking.

You know, Cliff, if you dig deep enough, most people have a story and a fairly good reason for being the way they are.