Anybody like really different Russian aircraft...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This one is interesting.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
fascinating stuff Juan.

I'm interested in the ground-effect hydroplane in the background of one of the pictures... do you know anything about it?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
fascinating stuff Juan.

I'm interested in the ground-effect hydroplane in the background of one of the pictures... do you know anything about it?

I don't know much about this craft but it sure is ugly.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
They used to blow everything out of the sky and do major damage on the ground. Now it's all speed and strangely enough about dog-fights.

scth

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

In early 1970s in Russia there were tests of trains that had jet plane engines.
Its maximum speed was around 249 km/h (around 180 mph). And it had engines from Yak-40 passenger jet plane.
Later they decided to put the engines from another Russian jet plane TU-134 to the passenger boat. So it could go as fast as 100 km/h (60 mph) on water when carrying passengers!

It’s a big pity but none of those are in use these days.

Tags: jet-planes, russian-trains, ships, trains

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the russians have always had some very good scientists and particularly good technology as well... they've done impressive things. And of course let us not forget Dmitri Mendeleev, father of chemistry <makes sign of the cross>

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
They used to blow everything out of the sky and do major damage on the ground. Now it's all speed and strangely enough about dog-fights.

scth

I remember watching the dog fights between the Americans and the Japanese war movies and thought what a wiled way to make a statement of superiority....flying the plane on a Japanese comacazy mission.:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
the russians have always had some very good scientists and particularly good technology as well... they've done impressive things. And of course let us not forget Dmitri Mendeleev, father of chemistry <makes sign of the cross>

Oh, that Dmitri Mendeleev.:smile:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Cool site, they say a camel is a horse designed by committee, some of these aircraft, especially the helicopters could fit a similar description. I often wonder what the designers were thinking when they came up with some of them.:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This helicopter was one of the most impressive. It could lift a forty ton payload and take it 600 km.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This helicopter was one of the most impressive. It could lift a forty ton payload and take it 600 km.

Something I had forgotten about wing mounted rotors on helicopters; The loss of an engine on either side, and the resultant loss of control, is probably not survivable.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Something I had forgotten about wing mounted rotors on helicopters; The loss of an engine on either side, and the resultant loss of control, is probably not survivable.

Juan; I'm not sure if the rotors are connected by a common or secondary drive system or not. Failing that it looks like each rotor is powered by 2 engines, a total loss of power on one side would require the pilot to reduce the power on the other to maintain control and autorotate to a forced landing. I would hope the took any eventuality into consideration. But it is still quite an impressive beast.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

This beast has both proprotors interconnected to provide power and control in the even of an engine failure on either side. They fly over my house and shake the windows too. Damn irritating.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There seems to be a fair distance as well as a dihedral angle between the wings that might be hard to cross with a drive shaft. Without a connecting drive shaft a complete loss of power on one side would be a disaster.

Btw, is the airplane in your avatar a Norseman?