December! Already?

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
So in 38 minutes it will officially be December. Which means that Christmas is now just over 3 weeks away, only 3 weekends left for shopping.

For whatever reason, just thinking about the next 3 weeks makes me so tired. There is just too much to do. Shopping, baking, decorating, hanging Christmas lights, Christmas Parties, Christmas Party outfits, visiting family (whose turn is it this time?). Now add in everyday stuff, work, house cleaning, we're in the process of building a house which is requiring a lot of time and running around, a family member was just diagnosed with Leukemia. Christmas for me just seems to be getting too complicated, and I don't even have children! I want it simplified again.

It seems that every year getting ready for Christmas seems to be taking over the month of December and takes away my time with family and friends which just seems odd to me as Christmas is supposed to be about friends and family coming together.

I am just wondering if other people feel this way about it too? That it is more about the event and less about the ones we love.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well Haz I do not celebrate occasions of any kind throughout the year icluding my birthday.

scratch

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The one thing I 'stopped' doing is travelling through december with the 'frenzy '
of getting closer to Dec. 25. My husband and I now start our xmas on Dec. 1.
We enjoy many aspects of Xmas all during the month, and the actual day really
isn't 'just' it, here in a flash then gone, that day is just a small part of the whole
event. The day of the big meal. I do gifts a little at a time through the month,
and have done quite a bit allready. We keep the whole event at a 'low' key, so
that it isn't so 'stressful', and doesn't feel so overwhelming any more. I am not a
socially active person, so I am not tied up in 'events', and my children have their
children, so I can take a step back, and breath easier, and really see the fun and
happiness of Xmas. We attend little concerts, small craft fairs, drive around to
see all the beautiful lit homes, and make sure the month is enjoyable and not
tiring. Gifts have been cut back in quantity and dollar value, but the true value
is the giving, and the whole family is aware of that. The idea that the whole event
is just a commercial money grab is only the eyes of the beholder, and I don't
feel that way at all, I love the malls, as they are decorated beautifully, and the
music is nice, and everyone gathers there to sell their crafts, art etc.
December can be a very grey and dull month, weather wise, not much to do,
so Xmas brightens the month and brings a nice end to the year. We have no
religious connection in our Xmas, but very close family gatherings, 'small' and
intimate, and a big dinner for all on Xmas day.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Our Christmas would mirror that of Talloola's. Now that our kids are long grown and gone (although local), and have their own kids, the "stress", or at least a lot of it is off.

Not that we didn't enjoy it, but, standing back and taking a breath, and just watching, instead of being up to our elbows in it, is quite a change. Has been for a few years now.

It can become more about the event than family, Hazmart. Try not to let it. The event will always be there...........

Ho Ho Ho ?8O

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
G'Day Nugg,

Good thoughts on your part and to Hazmart.

regards,
scratch

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
scratch i'm the opposite of you. I celebrate anything I can. The fact that it's a tuesday, the fact that it snowed, the fact that i did a big turd this morning... whatever it is, it's worth celebrating. How else can one smile every day?

This christmas we're visiting family down in florida.... it's gonna be awesome

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Sounds like you have good times ahead of you. I am happy for you.

regards,
scratch

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So in 38 minutes it will officially be December. Which means that Christmas is now just over 3 weeks away, only 3 weekends left for shopping.

For whatever reason, just thinking about the next 3 weeks makes me so tired. There is just too much to do. Shopping, baking, decorating, hanging Christmas lights, Christmas Parties, Christmas Party outfits, visiting family (whose turn is it this time?). Now add in everyday stuff, work, house cleaning, we're in the process of building a house which is requiring a lot of time and running around, a family member was just diagnosed with Leukemia. Christmas for me just seems to be getting too complicated, and I don't even have children! I want it simplified again.

It seems that every year getting ready for Christmas seems to be taking over the month of December and takes away my time with family and friends which just seems odd to me as Christmas is supposed to be about friends and family coming together.

I am just wondering if other people feel this way about it too? That it is more about the event and less about the ones we love.

Being a man I probably feel a lot different about it than you do. My approach to Xmas is more or less the same as my appoach to the rest of my life. You DON'T over schedule yourself (especially as I'm retired). Doing ONE important thing a day is enough BUT do it right. To me Xmas is about two or three things, the most important of which is your treatment to your fellow man, making it a happy occasion for the kids and trying to keep your own spirits up. If you enjoy baking by all means do it, if you don't enjoy baking than you just the absolute minimum- Xmas isn't going to succeed or fail over baking. You can always buy a Xmas cake and mince pies (probably damn near as cheaply as to buy the ingredients). Xmas shopping takes me roughly one hour (the wife does 95% of it) With the costs of shippiing parcels by Canada Post or Greyhound, gift certicates or cash make perfect sense - why get ripped off by someone who adds absolutely nothing to the enjoyment of Xmas? Most important thing of all for Xmas, reduce your shopping costs by $50 and make a donation to something like Childrens' Hospital or the WAr Amps or Salvation Army.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well for me, christmas sure ain't what it used to be when I was a kid, but that's everybody I guess. I no longer celebrate it due to religion anymore, and I don't celebrate it for the toys, candy and junk food.

Christmas now for me is about hanging out with the family for the first time in a while for many. We pop over and have a few drinks, see their kids open their presents or play with their new presents, see how things have been, just sitting around and relaxing. Nobody needs the big diners or the fancy get togethers..... just get together and enjoy the days off from work and spend it with those you want to.

You don't have to go out into the snow and setup a bunch of fancy lights and deck the whole neighbourhood out with just your one house..... we did that for the longest time, and now we just let others do that and drive around when we're killing time on x-mas eve and see all the lit up houses and their creativity for the season.

Don't get yourself sucked into the marketing and running around of getting the right presents for the child just to see their faces light up.... get them just one so they have one big thing to look forward to, rather then a pile of things dished out to them.... they'll get plenty from other family members sure enough. Everybody likes to see their children happy and exicted during christmas, hell most of us were those kids..... for some, just seeing that moment on christmas day is all that matters.

But for others who don't have their own kids and are still brning themselves out to go and see everybody, just make one occasion to go and see everybody..... make it a family get together somewhere where everybody (or most) can pop in at once to see everyone..... and then it's done and you can relax back home or with a loved one and enjoy the environment created by everybody's (Including your own) hard work to make it a nice looking holiday.

For me, it's not about the money or the crap you get shoved in front of you every 4 minutes and 34 seconds on the TV.... it's about just taking the time you have off and doing something different. Go visit your family, spend time away with your loved one...... hell, hate the holiday? Go skiing or out to some cottage resort somewhere and treat yourself(ves).

If you're tired of getting gifts for everybody else, then give to yourself. At least then if you have to take all your time for everything else in the year, you took that time out for yourself.

Stop taking all your time to plan things for everyone else, I'm sure they can do just fine by themselves..... they've gotten this far on their own. Everybody should just do what they want to do to enjoy the time. Focus on all the little things you no longer do as you have gotten older.

Go play in the snow.... go check out the lights, hit the church if you want and check out their midnight mass celebration. Even if you don't believe in the religion, most of their celebrations are done very well and relaxing all on their own.

And finally, just take the time to reflect. That's what most kids, or at least I used to do when I was younger.... you wern't thinking about school (or Work) you were thinking about what you could do with your time off and making the most of it.

You will never find your spot for any holiday if you don't find one for yourself, rather then doing what everybody else is doing.

Find your own meaning and the rest will follow.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Did you need some shivvie cheer sent your way, Hazzie?

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Was outside shovelin the snow and building a snow fort with my kid..I had to do all the work..lol....But it was a great winter day to be outside!...Get's any colder though I'm hibernating..lol

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well for me,................................
You will never find your spot for any holiday if you don't find one for yourself, rather then doing what everybody else is doing.

Find your own meaning and the rest will follow.

oK,,,,,,,,,,,,,prax, er prsx, erprax...........younme, eh;..........youne...me

buddddy ;, eh..........gettta goddm D.D., n lesh go lookaata litess. ........he he he......leeeeva gurls a home, eh........hahahaha........Igotta 40 CC hehehehe........litessss heeeer wecomm. hahahah.a Hey'ssssssCrismus eh....ShhhhhhhhwatsCrismus'allabouteh!!

8O

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice.
I think this year is a lot more difficult for me as it is the first time that I am not in the same city as my family. A lot of the Christmas preparation I would do with my mom, we made days of it so to do it by myself just seems to be so much more of a chore.

JLM, I wish I could think more like a man! lol, but I think you are right, I may just cut out some of the things that I really don't like and focus more on the ones that I do. Thats it! No baking this year! Wow, that felt good!

Talloola, if I could eliminate the traveling part of it, I would feel so much better and have far more time. This weekend and next weekend I am driving to Saskatoon for a family get together and a Christmas party then on Christmas Eve I am driving to Edmonton for one familys Christmas, drive back home on Christmas (the cats would be outraged if I left them on Christmas!) and then down to saskatoon for Boxing Day with the family there back home the next day and then to Edmonton on the 30th... and my car isn't fuel efficient! Next year, I am not going anywhere!

Shadow... where ya been?? I hear a little Shivvy goes a long way!

Nugg, you are right, the event will always be there, but the family is what is important, I have to remember that in the end.

OK, everyone is right! I have to shake my ba humbug grump fest and get on with it!
We did get out Christmas lights up now and they look great. The tree goes up on Monday and Thursday I have a day of wrapping planned which I always enjoy. I am sure in the end everything will be well worth all the effort and work and I will appreciate the season.

Oh Nugg... ahh you had better let Prax drive!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hello there, Hazzie. I've had a hectic weekend of working. It was very cold!

Could you help me warm up?
There might be some sweet elixir in it for you if you do.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hello there, Hazzie. I've had a hectic weekend of working. It was very cold!

Could you help me warm up?
There might be some sweet elixir in it for you if you do.

I am sure we can find a way to get your blood moving! I mean anything for a pepsi at the end of a long day!