Has anyone heard of Brentwood I or Brentwood II ???

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm hunting for information this afternoon that I just can't seem to find. I listened to
a theory recently with respect to previous Agreements (Brentwood I & II),
and the theory was that the latest G20 meeting was the precursor to Brentwood III.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, as Google is coming up empty on these???
The Theory was tie'n together the recent economic downturn, to the World Bank,
to the idea that politics has been steered (engineered) for the last 70-80 years, and
the reason why Obama's wallet was so fat in the last U.S. election...It was interesting.

Brentwood I had to do with many countries using the U.S. dollar as the standard to
measure their currency against, or to use the U.S. dollar in combination with their
own currency. I think it was mentioned that this took place in the '40's or '50's...

Brentwood II had to do with the US federal reserve liquidating much of its assets in
gold, to base its value on its liquidity (as opposed to its hard assets). I think it was
mentioned that this took place in the 60's or 70's...

Brentwood III will have something to do with the World Bank having a much larger roll
as a Global economic enforcement agency. One Bank leading to one currency leading to
one Government for the planet. Illuminati, New World Order, type stuff....

I know this sounds like a "Tinfoil Hat" type of theory, but the person who brought this up
is someone who I respect, and thus my search which has come up completely dry so far.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"Bretton Woods"....NOT Brentwood....Ugh....no wonder I was coming up dry in my search.
Bretton Woods system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bretton Woods system of monetary management established the rules for commercial and financial relations among the world's major industrial states. The Bretton Woods system was the first example of a fully negotiated monetary order intended to govern monetary relations among independent nation-states.

Preparing to rebuild the international economic system as World War II was still raging, 730 delegates from all 44 Allied nations gathered at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, United States, for the United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference. The delegates deliberated upon and signed the Bretton Woods Agreements during the first three weeks of July 1944.

Setting up a system of rules, institutions, and procedures to regulate the international monetary system, the planners at Bretton Woods established the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) (now one of five institutions in the World Bank Group) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). These organizations became operational in 1945 after a sufficient number of countries had ratified the agreement.

The chief features of the Bretton Woods system were an obligation for each country to adopt a monetary policy that maintained the exchange rate of its currency within a fixed value—plus or minus one percent—in terms of gold and the ability of the IMF to bridge temporary imbalances of payments. In the face of increasing strain, the system collapsed in 1971, following the United States' suspension of convertibility from dollars to gold. This created the unique situation whereby the United States dollar became the "reserve currency" for the nation-states which had signed the agreement.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is some Trippy reading. If ever there was fodder for a conspiracy theory, this is it.

Origins

The political basis for the Bretton Woods system was in the confluence of several key conditions: the shared experiences of the Great Depression, the concentration of power in a small number of states (further enhanced by the exclusion of a number of important nations because of the war), and the presence of a dominant power willing and able to assume a leadership role in global monetary affairs.

“Economic security”

Also based on experience of interwar years, U.S. planners developed a concept of economic security—that a liberal international economic system would enhance the possibilities of postwar peace. One of those who saw such a security link was Cordell Hull, the United States Secretary of State from 1933 to 1944. Hull believed that the fundamental causes of the two world wars lay in economic discrimination and trade warfare. Specifically, he had in mind the trade and exchange controls (bilateral arrangements) of Nazi Germany and the imperial preference system practised by Britain (by which members or former members of the British Empire were accorded special trade status).

Design

Free trade relied on the free convertibility of currencies. Negotiators at the Bretton Woods conference, fresh from what they perceived as a disastrous experience with floating rates in the 1930s, concluded that major monetary fluctuations could stall the free flow of trade.
The liberal economic system required an accepted vehicle for investment, trade, and payments. Unlike national economies, however, the international economy lacks a central government that can issue currency and manage its use. In the past this problem had been solved through the gold standard, but the architects of Bretton Woods did not consider this option feasible for the postwar political economy. Instead, they set up a system of fixed exchange rates managed by a series of newly created international institutions using the U.S. dollar (which was a gold standard currency for central banks) as a reserve currency.

Formal regimes

The Bretton Woods Conference led to the establishment of the IMF and the IBRD (now the World Bank), which still remain powerful forces in the world economy.

As mentioned, a major point of common ground at the Conference was the goal to avoid a recurrence of the closed markets and economic warfare that had characterized the 1930s. Thus, negotiators at Bretton Woods also agreed that there was a need for an institutional forum for international cooperation on monetary matters. Already in 1944 the British economist John Maynard Keynes emphasized "the importance of rule-based regimes to stabilize business expectations"—something he accepted in the Bretton Woods system of fixed exchange rates. Currency troubles in the interwar years, it was felt, had been greatly exacerbated by the absence of any established procedure or machinery for intergovernmental consultation.

Return to convertibility

In the 1960s and 70s, important structural changes eventually led to the breakdown of international monetary management. One change was the development of a high level of monetary interdependence. The stage was set for monetary interdependence by the return to convertibility of the Western European currencies at the end of 1958 and of the Japanese yen in 1964. Convertibility facilitated the vast expansion of international financial transactions, which deepened monetary interdependence.

"Floating" Bretton Woods (1968–72)

By 1968, the attempt to defend the dollar at a fixed peg of $35/ounce, the policy of the Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson administrations, had become increasingly untenable. Gold outflows from the U.S. accelerated, and despite gaining assurances from Germany and other nations to hold gold, the profligate fiscal spending of the Johnson administration had transformed the "dollar shortage" of the 1940s and 1950s into a dollar glut by the 1960s. In 1967, the IMF agreed in Rio de Janeiro to replace the tranche division set up in 1946. Special Drawing Rights were set as equal to one U.S. dollar, but were not usable for transactions other than between banks and the IMF. Nations were required to accept holding Special Drawing Rights (SDRs) equal to three times their allotment, and interest would be charged, or credited, to each nation based on their SDR holding. The original interest rate was 1.5%.

The intent of the SDR system was to prevent nations from buying pegged gold and selling it at the higher free market price, and give nations a reason to hold dollars by crediting interest, at the same time setting a clear limit to the amount of dollars which could be held. The essential conflict was that the American role as military defender of the capitalist world's economic system was recognized, but not given a specific monetary value. In effect, other nations "purchased" American defence policy by taking a loss in holding dollars. They were only willing to do this as long as they supported U.S. military policy. Because of the Vietnam War and other unpopular actions, the pro-U.S. consensus began to evaporate. The SDR agreement, in effect, monetized the value of this relationship, but did not create a market for it.

The use of SDRs as "paper gold" seemed to offer a way to balance the system, turning the IMF, rather than the U.S., into the world's central banker. The U.S. tightened controls over foreign investment and currency, including mandatory investment controls in 1968. In 1970, U.S. President Richard Nixon lifted import quotas on oil in an attempt to reduce energy costs; instead, however, this exacerbated dollar flight, and created pressure from petro-dollars now linked to gas-euros resulting in the 1963 energy transition from coal to gas with the creation of the Dutch Gasunie. Still, the U.S. continued to draw down reserves. In 1971 it had a reserve deficit of $56 billion; as well, it had depleted most of its non-gold reserves and had only 22% gold coverage of foreign reserves. In short, the dollar was tremendously overvalued with respect to gold.

Bretton Woods II?

A number of economists (e.g. Doole, Folkerts-Landau and Garber) have referred to the system of currency relations which evolved after 2001, in which currencies, particularly the Chinese renminbi (yuan), remained fixed to the U.S. dollar as Bretton Woods II. The argument is that a system of pegged currencies is both stable and desirable, a notion that causes considerable controversy.

However, this informal meaning has been superseded in the wake of the Global financial crisis of 2008.
On September 26, 2008, French, and current European Union president, Nicolas Sarkozy, said, "we must rethink the financial system from scratch, as at Bretton Woods.”
On October 8, 2008, Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner said "the financial world crisis will need a strong regulation in the matter of financial markets and capital movements throughout the world. A new Bretton Woods will be needed".

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

"the financial world crisis will need a strong regulation in the matter of financial markets and capital movements throughout the world. A new Bretton Woods will be needed".

Harpers latest speech includes a plea that over regulation and protectionism not be applied and that present channels are just fine if they're dabbled with a bit.

Keynes advised Rosavelt to stick with private banking and forget about congressional control of currency. Keynes was taking care of his class as the story goes. The whole period was far worse because of it I guess, required the second world war to get back to black it was good for banks and bad for every one else.

That strong regulation is the enemy of capital that's why we ain't got any, capital sits in government cha-ching

just what I imagine from memory which is unreliable this evening

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"the financial world crisis will need a strong regulation in the matter of financial markets and capital movements throughout the world. A new Bretton Woods will be needed".

Haroers latest speech includes a plea that over regulation and protectionism not be applied and that present channels are just fine if they're dabbled with a bit.

db...........This brings us to the current Global financial crisis of 2008....and the G20 summit.
Make ya' wonder who is steering the financial boat. Is this current crisis an engineered thing
and only a part of a much bigger picture. I think I am going to go make myself a Tinfoil Hat.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
db...........This brings us to the current Global financial crisis of 2008....and the G20 summit.
Make ya' wonder who is steering the financial boat. Is this current crisis an engineered thing
and only a part of a much bigger picture. I think I am going to go make myself a Tinfoil Hat.

It's all engineered RnR. The wealthy run the planet RnR the economy isn't in public hands it really never was well since The Bank of England I guess for us westerners. The best private economys work on cycles of war a state within which the necessity of invention is magnified along with profit of course you have to pour humans and consummables into it but that too is good business I understand. War is a win win situation if your wealthy. So the G20 all have private reserve banks which owns them just like us we are owned by bankers that's why we borrow from them at interest instead of our own national bank for nothing.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is kind of weird, but try this yourself. Compair the list of the G20 Member Countries:
Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
France
Germany
India
Indonesia
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
South Korea
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

European Union
Against: SudanTribune article : The Bretton Woods system; the real villain
By Professor Ali Abdalla Ali
October 11, 2008 — For more than three weeks I was keeping an eye like any one else on the present crisis in the international monetary arrangements triggered off by the American banking system which deals mostly in real estate finance. I have heard many comments, seen many TV reports and many discussions on the reasons behind the crisis as well as the possible course of events and impact on the remaining countries of the world. My strong feeling is that not a single commentator attempted to touch on the real issue that it is the present international monetary system as conceived by Brettonwood’s agreement that is behind all this evil. What made things worse for me was hearing the President of the IMF calling all countries of the world to coordinate their efforts to bail the system.

A look at the Brettonwood’s system that produced the IMF is that the USA and rest of the major capitalist countries hold the major voting rights that gives these countries a strength no less than the power given to countries like the USA by the Veto right! When a member country in the IMF falls in deficit ,its economy is usually scrutinized by various IMF missions under the IMF Articles of Agreement in a very elaborate manner and is often forced to make the necessary corrections in almost all the sectors where such an improvement could take place and therefore, improve the member country’s performance and move it towards a surplus even if that meant the devaluation of the currency and the other usual medicine known as the IMF prescription. In other words the member countries that are in deficit are made to bear the responsibility of submerging themselves in deficit or alternatively cutting themselves to size.

This has not been the case for member countries like the USA, Germany France,Japan etc. since they hold the keys of this important International institution. By virtue of their voting rights and sheer leverage in the IMF they are not subjected to usual harassment exercised on weaker member countries who are in deficit. If this elaborate scrutiny imposed on the weaker members was imposed on member countries such as the USA the misbehavior of American banks dealing with real estate would have been detected and corrected on time. The over crediting beyond internationally known levels and the subsequent securitization of such debts would have been avoided and this crisis triggered off by the American banks would not have taken place.

One is surprised about the call made by the President of the IMF. Why on earth should European countries, African, Arab, Asian and other countries bear the mistake of the mismanagement of the USA of its banks? Where was the IMF and its highly arrogant and capable staff when the causes of this crisis was brewing. It did not happen just three weeks ago. It has been going on for months together. It is this unjust aspect of the present international system that should be looked at deeply. Without a just and fair international monetary system as well as an equal scrutiny of all members alike in the IMF, these happenings will recur even if the bailing out of the American banks and the monetary system is some how achieved.

Professor Ali Abdalla Ali, Sudan University of Science and Technology, Economic Advisor, Khartoum Stock Exchange can be reached at profalisudan@gmail.com

Against: IMF Members' Quotas and Voting Power, and IMF Board of Governors
(Specifically the last column which is "Percent of Total" with respect to voting rights in the IMF)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
This has not been the case for member countries like the USA, Germany France,Japan etc. since they hold the keys of this important International institution. By virtue of their voting rights and sheer leverage in the IMF they are not subjected to usual harassment exercised on weaker member countries who are in deficit.

Given that most of the above mentioned nations contribute the most to the IMF's budget, it shouldn't surprise anyone - least of all, an economic advisor. Did he say he was surprised? Prolly not.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Given that most of the above mentioned nations contribute the most to the IMF's budget, it shouldn't surprise anyone - least of all, an economic advisor. Did he say he was surprised? Prolly not.

I'm surprised in that with all the Financial Annalists and Talking Heads in the media with
respect to this current Global financial crisis, the connection hasn't been made to the
general public about the IMF being able to ride herd on most of the Globes economies,
EXCEPT for the ones that caused this mess, and most of the ones in the G20 that are
setting up the economic plans to "save" us all from the mess they've helped create.

Have you seen this connection made on CNN or the nightly news and I just missed it?
By virtue of their voting rights and sheer leverage in the IMF they are not subjected to
usual harassment exercised on weaker member countries who are in deficit. This all
goes back to the IMF which goes beck to the Bretton Woods Agreements.

Yeah, this Economic Advisor to the Khartoum Stock Exchange in the Sudan doesn't seem
surprised at all. The surprising thing is that nobody in the Western Economy or Media is also
stating the same connection in a public manner.

Last edited:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I'm surprised in that with all the Financial Annalists and Talking Heads in the media with
respect to this current Global financial crisis, the connection hasn't been made to the
general public about the IMF being able to ride herd on most of the Globes economies,
EXCEPT for the ones that caused this mess, and most of the ones in the G20 that are
setting up the economic plans to "save" us all from the mess they've helped create.

Have you seen this connection made on CNN or the nightly news and I just missed it?
By virtue of their voting rights and sheer leverage in the IMF they are not subjected to
usual harassment exercised on weaker member countries who are in deficit. This all
goes back to the IMF which goes beck to the Bretton Woods Agreements.

Yeah, this Economic Advisor to the Khartoum Stock Exchange in the Sudan doesn't seem
surprised at all. The surprising thing is that nobody in the Western Economy or Media is also
stating the same connection in a public manner.

As I said, the fact that those who contribute the most to IMF's budget yeild the most power and do not recieve the same scrutiny should not be surprising or shocking to anyone and people are talking about it. The IMF is accountable to it's member countries, or better, member countries shelling out the most money to dominate and enslave the weaker member nations. And yes, this stems back to Bretton Woods along with the World Bank, WTO (nee GATT) - all part of the supposed plan for economic recovery after WWII.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As I said, the fact that those who contribute the most to IMF's budget yeild the most power and do not recieve the same scrutiny should not be surprising or shocking to anyone and people are talking about it. The IMF is accountable to it's member countries, or better, member countries shelling out the most money to dominate and enslave the weaker member nations. And yes, this stems back to Bretton Woods along with the World Bank, WTO (nee GATT) - all part of the supposed plan for economic recovery after WWII.

Well Said1, then I just missed it through the news over the last couple of months somehow,
and had to play catch-up from scratch in the most convoluted method possible it seems.
Seeing as to everyone else this is common knowledge they've been picking up daily, then
my doing my reading today and learning about this was just due diligence so as not to
completely miss the knowledge train. I feel foolish and better at the same time.

So what you're saying is that I can safely take off my Tinfoil Hat then?;-)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Well Said1, then I just missed it through the news over the last couple of months somehow,
and had to play catch-up from scratch in the most convoluted method possible it seems.
Seeing as to everyone else this is common knowledge they've been picking up daily, then
my doing my reading today and learning about this was just due diligence so as not to
completely miss the knowledge train. I feel foolish and better at the same time.

So what you're saying is that I can safely take off my Tinfoil Hat then?;-)

I don't watch much news on a regular basis so I couldn't tell you WHAT they report. I do read a lot of magazines and the evil doings of the IMF, WTO and World Bank seem to be a popular topics. :lol:

And I never made fun of anyone wearing a tinfoil hat, you can just keep yours on and we'll pretend not to notice the glare. :lol:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't watch much news on a regular basis so I couldn't tell you WHAT they report. I do read a lot of magazines and the evil doings of the IMF, WTO and World Bank seem to be a popular topics. :lol:

And I never made fun of anyone wearing a tinfoil hat, you can just keep yours on and we'll pretend not to notice the glare. :lol:

Right On! :lol: