Honour Canada's dwindling veterans

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not too many years ago, on November 11th we would see thousands of WW! vets on parade in Ottawa on Rememberence day. I have watched the Rememberence Day ceremonies in Ottawa for more years than I want to mention. I don't think we'll have any WW1 vets this year because there aren't any left. A young man or woman of seventeen joining our military in 1939 would now be 86 years old. I don't know how many WW2 vets we will see this year but there are still a few around. We owe these men a great deal of respect and honour for their voluntary contribution our country's cause. The next group would be Korean war vets. All these veterans are fewer in number every year. Honour these men and women.....Watch the parade......Buy a poppy. Stand for the moment's silence...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
We must never forget their courage and the sacrifices that they made to allow us to have what we do today.

On November 11 on the eleventh hour we should all stop this and give a minute to them.

It is the least that we can do for what they did.

sincerely,
scratch

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
War shouldn't happen, but it does, and some of these guys paid the ultimate price- Veterans may be the instrument of war, but they are not the cause of it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Then you tell me what has been learned from all these wars that we are supposed to remember besides how to build bigger and better killing machines. It sure as hell hasn't been that war shouldn't happen.

I will happily sit and listen to what veterans have to say, such as the war amps 'never again' campaign pushing for younger generations to understand the true horror and sacrifice, in order to try to prevent future wars. I think that goes well beyond just giving us more weapons. That's something worth honoring.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The subsequent argument has been moved to the cage. This thread is for honouring the vets.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I will happily sit and listen to what veterans have to say, such as the war amps 'never again' campaign pushing for younger generations to understand the true horror and sacrifice, in order to try to prevent future wars. I think that goes well beyond just giving us more weapons. That's something worth honoring.

Right Karrie

About twenty five years ago I knew a man who was part of the Canadian group that took Vimy Ridge. He couldn't tell me the story without either laughing about the good times they had or crying about all the men they lost. He was very proud of his unit's achievement.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just to explain the thread name:

I am old enough to remember Rememberence Day parades in Ottawa when there were thousands of WW1 vets, and many thousands of WW2 veterans. We lost our last WW1 vet last year.

As I explained earlier, WW2 vets are now well into their eighties and not as many are in the parade anymore so the numbers have really dwindled from what they were.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of Vets, we've been missing one of our vets for a long time. Mikey. I believe Mikey was our oldest member and his health was not good. We haven't heard from him since mid summer. I hope he is ok but fear he isn't. I would like to remember him here as well.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Speaking of Vets, we've been missing one of our vets for a long time. Mikey. I believe Mikey was our oldest member and his health was not good. We haven't heard from him since mid summer. I hope he is ok but fear he isn't. I would like to remember him here as well.

That was very thoughtful, Kreskin.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would also like to remember my Great Grandfather who fought in World War 1 and all the other men and women who helped to ensure I am able to enjoy the freedom that I have today.

I spoke to my mom tonight and she said she has some postcards from him that he sent while he was there. They are about 90 years old. Truly a piece of the past.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would also like to remember my Great Grandfather who fought in World War 1 and all the other men and women who helped to ensure I am able to enjoy the freedom that I have today.

I spoke to my mom tonight and she said she has some postcards from him that he sent while he was there. They are about 90 years old. Truly a piece of the past.
Those would be priceless Tom.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
We must never forget their courage and the sacrifices that they made to allow us to have what we do today.

On November 11 on the eleventh hour we should all stop this and give a minute to them.

It is the least that we can do for what they did.

sincerely,
scratch

While poppies are nice, how about stopping by your local legion and buying a vet a drink to let him/her know he/she's appreciated...

Reactions: Kreskin

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
While poppies are nice, how about stopping by your local legion and buying a vet a drink to let him/her know he/she's appreciated...

That, is a hell of a good idea.......I will do that....Of course I would have to be sociable and have a drink myself. Just thinking about this, I realize that I haven't been to our legion in about three years......I will definitely be there on Tuesday....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You're right many are gone now, including my brother, father and grandfather, all who fought
in wars, but we are also starting to honour the casualties of afghanistan, and the list is growing, and who knows what the future will bring, I certainly hope that list stays short, it
will benefit all of us.

Young lives who didn't have a chance to live on, I treasure them.