WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Has anyone here taken the time to watch this movie?? "WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price"

Look, I understand the Fundamentals of Capitalism, and Wal Mart is really the pinnacle of this... but after watching this movie I was shocked to see the way Wal Mart turns a blind eye to basically slave labor in Asian countries.

Also, the absolute greed of the Waltons family is sick. Only giving 1% of their overall wealth to charity. Microsoft's Bill Gates have given away 58%.

This movie is a real must see.

http://www.walmartmovie.com

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price is the documentary film sensation that's changing the largest company on earth. The film features the deeply personal stories and everyday lives of families and communities struggling to survive in a Wal-Mart world. It's an emotional journey that will challenge the way you think, feel... and shop.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Beyond any of the companies approach, I have no idea why people shop there? I've been guilty of picking up certain items..fishing equipment comes to mind. But I've hated ever experience there..

What is it with the blind sheep of this world to make that company so large? There are often not the cheapest. many loss leaders to have you buy more expensive stuff, big bard feel, terrible staff , with a turn around of something like 300%.

Again beyond all the companies horrors..why do people support this ugly store?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I haven't seen this, but I have seen a few different specials and documentaries in regards to Wal-Mart's methods..... I certainly can't stand the whole company, what they represent and has been one of those things that added on top of the pile of things that make be believe that Capitalism isn't the best way of life..... perhaps for a select few who can keep everybody else down by throwing peanuts..... but for the collective of the human species..... Capitalism is a vicious and selfish way of life.

Wal-Mart is one of the many prime examples of just how true this is. Sure it maybe good for those not working there, or not working their asses off to sell their products cheap to their stores, or your not one of those making those products...... it could be a great store to shop at..... what with most things being a low cost, and everything is all where you need it..... but seriously come on.

The clothes are cheap and about as fancy as K-Mart, the shoes rot out from under you in about a month's worth of walking, the customer service is about as inspiring as that 16 year old kid spitting in your burger in the MacDonald's outlet to the left of you, the Nazi Wal-Mart greeters who have to man-handle your other shopping bags you bring in so they can put a green sticker on them to make sure you don't steal their crappy and cheap stuff.

The only good things there are the video games and movies...... don't even bother with their music selection.
----------
Oh and what's with these checkouts you have to scan your own sh*t by yourself and no cashier to talk to? I'm all for those checkouts when you can just roll your shopping cart through and the price tallys up in an instant..... but until we get those, I want my god damn cashier to scan my crap and bag it..... I'm paying for their piddly crap, they can dish out a few cents to send a cashier my way to ring through my stuff.

Their not only going cheap in their products, cheap in their labour, and cheap in some of their costs..... they're also cheaping out on their service.

There's a reason why lightning bolts exist, and they exist to strike dead jerk-wads like these people who create such greedy companies to fill their own pockets on a half-ass service.

Mark my words, 15 years from now, they'll be on their big fancy boat fishing or something enjoying their lives, and then in the newspaper it will read that they were killed when they raised their rod in the air to cast and a lightning bolt exploded their body into chum chunks for the fishys.

Well, ok.... maybe on the internet news..... in 15 years, there won't be any trees for newspaper :twisted:

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Grohmann loses DND knife contract
May wants to know why knife supplier in MacKay's riding lost out to Chinese firm
By The Canadian Press
Tue. Sep 16 - 2:49 PM
OTTAWA — Green Leader Elizabeth May is asking Defence Minister Peter MacKay why his department has dropped a knife supplier based in his own riding in favour of one in China.
Used by paratroopers to cut their harness, Grohmann Knives' top-quality No. 3 knife was a standard order in an annual contract for decades.
Grohmann is a stalwart industry in MacKay's Central Nova riding, where May is challenging the perennial Tory seat once held by his father and former cabinet minister Elmer MacKay.
May says Grohmann's reputation for quality, durability and reliability is ``exceptional and unquestioned.''
In an unusual turn for a Green party leader, May found herself going to bat for the military today.
She says she wonders what kind of other ``shoddy, non-Canadian goods'' are being purchased for Canadian soldiers under federal cost-cutting measures.
She says Grohmann met with MacKay to discuss the matter in June and has not received replies to its queries.
``We must not cut corners on the quality of equipment required by our troops,'' she said. ``Ideally, our military should choose Canadian-made goods.''
She noted Public Works Minister Christian Paradis suggested recently that if Canadian-built vessels for the navy and coast guard were too expensive, he would buy them elsewhere.
That threatens thousands of Atlantic Canadian jobs, said May, who plans a cross-country whistle-stop tour next week.
Meanwhile, a submarine contract for retrofits went to British Columbia, despite the fact it will cost more, she said.
``The only common denominator from the Harper government is that contracts do not come to Atlantic Canada,'' she said.
In an attempt to avoid splitting the vote, May and Liberal Leader Stephane Dion agreed last year not to run opposing candidates in their respective ridings.
MacKay defeated his NDP rival in the 2006 election by almost 3,300 votes.
May has booked a private train car and plans to leave Vancouver on Sunday attached to a Via Rail train on its regularly scheduled route.
The tour will end near her Nova Scotia riding after making multiple five- to 10-minute stops in dozens of towns, cities and villages along the way.
May says she will get off the train at key stops to speak to party supporters.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""The only common denominator from the Harper government is that contracts do not come to Atlantic Canada,'' she said.""

No doubt Mein Harpo's tangle with Danny W might have something to do with that, but it is typical con to give mouth service to "made in Canada" while sticking the knife in the back.

If they were truly interested in Canada's welfare, this offshoring would be stopped.

What can one expect from an asshole like MacKay!

:angry3:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
""The only common denominator from the Harper government is that contracts do not come to Atlantic Canada,'' she said.""

No doubt Mein Harpo's tangle with Danny W might have something to do with that, but it is typical con to give mouth service to "made in Canada" while sticking the knife in the back.

If they were truly interested in Canada's welfare, this offshoring would be stopped.

What can one expect from an asshole like MacKay!

Yeah I grew up and drove by the company that made these knives, and they've been around for decades..... certainly long before I was born..... and McKay is from the same area, and that d*ck wad goes and sells it all off to China because "it's cheaper"

Yeah and it's cheaper for me to kick him squarely in his nards with a twist and pay my assault charges, then it would be to vote his sorry ass into power so he can take more money away from me and many others.

Great way to keep business and work here in Canada..... esspecially in the maritimes where we've been bitching and moaning about getting more jobs here..... what does McKay do?

He takes them away.

I ought to bitch slap him sideways and silly, friggin long-nosed fruit loop. :angry3:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So, if the contract had gone to Grohmann, we would all be ranting about Mackay just awarding contracts in his own back yard, and how that was wrong. But because they didn't get the contract, we can all rant about how Mackay didn't award the contract in his own back yard, and how that's wrong.

Either way, we win: we can complain about him, no matter what.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
So, if the contract had gone to Grohmann, we would all be ranting about Mackay just awarding contracts in his own back yard, and how that was wrong. But because they didn't get the contract, we can all rant about how Mackay didn't award the contract in his own back yard, and how that's wrong.

Either way, we win: we can complain about him, no matter what.

Yeah sure, try and throw more bullsh*t into my mouth why don't you?

If anybody in Canada got the contract I wouldn't care so much..... but he sent it accross the ocean because it was cheaper.

And nobody would be complaining about McKay awarding contracts in his own back yard..... because the company had the damn contract before his sorry ass was born to begin with..... he took it away from them.... that's the issue.

What everybody is ranting about is the lack of contracts, work and jobs coming here to the Maritimes.... that's why everybody took off to work their asses off in the Oil Sands in the first place..... because no jobs are coming this way.

And when people are bitching and moaning about the need to create more jobs here in the Maritimes, only for idiots like McKay to take away even more jobs and opportunities, it shows he doesn't give a F.C. in the UK what the hell happens here.... he's got his job in Ottawa paying him the big bucks, wtf does he care?

I'm starting to think the Liberals are right on a few things in regards to the Conservatives.... but then again, that's still not going to make me vote Liberal or Conservative...... besides, they're both passing back Garth Turner for sloppy seconds..... an idiot who didn't like either party, got kicked out of the Conservatives, boast about how he was going to stay an independant to better represent us citizens..... only to hump the Liberals leg shortly after and join their ranks.

Both parties are absolute scum in my books.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Do I detect that some people would prefer we had a dictatorship in Canada? If you want our free market and our choices where to shop regulated by Ottawa, then why not ask at the same time to curb and censor free speech?

Most of this palaver is hypocrisy imo. Do you really care about the wages in China? I think we should leave that to the Chinese people themselves to take action. And Walmart or MacDonald can only be so gigantic, because we, the consumer, love to support them!

Get real and buy at The Bay and eat at your local hamburger stand!!!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Do I detect that some people would prefer we had a dictatorship in Canada? If you want our free market and our choices where to shop regulated by Ottawa, then why not ask at the same time to curb and censor free speech?

Most of this palaver is hypocrisy imo. Do you really care about the wages in China? I think we should leave that to the Chinese people themselves to take action. And Walmart or MacDonald can only be so gigantic, because we, the consumer, love to support them!

Even the Bay isn't Canadian anymore..... and I do tend to buy my food at local restaurants.

But I couldn't care less of the payments or the quality of life in another country providing our so-called goods..... I care about the goods being made here, in this country, to give people work within the country.

IMO things were a lot better off before NFTA and other dumbass agreements came into existence.

Reactions: B00Mer

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

You forgot...............:roll::roll::roll:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Even the Bay isn't Canadian anymore..... and I do tend to buy my food at local restaurants.

But I couldn't care less of the payments or the quality of life in another country providing our so-called goods..... I care about the goods being made here, in this country, to give people work within the country.

IMO things were a lot better off before NFTA and other dumbass agreements came into existence.
Yes, definitively! I liked the time way back when, when an ice cream cone heaped cost 5 cents!!:smile:

Or when you could buy a 3-bedroom house for $18 000 right in the capital city of Canada!!

Or a brand-new VW for $1800!

In those days the husband was able to support his family - wifey could stay home and keep house and look after the children... no out-farming to daycares! In short, the good old times, Praxi.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

I have to agree 100% with your post.

It's funny how much anti-American members are here (quandary121, etc), but when it comes to buying "Made in Canada" they suddenly show a love affair with Corporate "America" and all things American.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
So Walmart is evil. So what? My boss is evil. He's an effin' asshole. He breaks every labour law in the book. he don't care, pay a fine, big deal,

Bottom line: Walmart makes sh!t cheap for me. That's all that matters.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

BUY AMERICAN!! :salute:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In this country we believe in democracy, majority rules. At our Walmart, crowds and crowds of people flock in and out of their daily. Look like a majority to me.
I understand all of the points that have been made 'against' walmart.

But, I also understand that there are many many families in canada who are struggling
to make ends meet. These people can make their dollar stretch in a store like walmart,
and whatever china is doing that we don't agree with, is what they do, they are not
a democracy.

The majority have the control here, and if they choose to stop going into walmart, they
will close their doors. And, how do we know that all of the other lower priced stores
are doing their purchasing exactly the way we want.

If you had 4 kids, one paycheck, and had to sit down every two weeks, and figure out
how to make that amount 'reach' the next two week period, you would be looking for
the store that can fill your needs, simple.

Where does the Super Store purchase all of their merchandise.
Where does Zellers purchase all of their merchandise. (owned by the Bay)
Where does K Mart purchase all of their merchandise.

I don't have much sympathy for the 'small' business owner, as in a small town like
this, they set their prices too high, and that family with the 4 kids, cannot afford
to buy from them, hence successful thrift stores.
The small business owner fights like hell to keep the big box stores out of their
areas, cuts into their profit, and they don't give a damn for the struggling families.