Who's better: Rolling Stones or Beatles?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
They are both great. If you want a tender,romantic evening with a special someone,go for the beatles. But if you want a night of debauchery that you will remember long past the 'tender,I love you snookums' evening has passed,pick up some 'Brown Sugar'.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Neither for me. I never really liked the stones, and I did get into the Beatles in my later years in high school.... some songs sounded pretty good..... then I started listening to the lyrics and realised most of their songs have no damn meaning at all, made no damn sense and are mostly just a bunch of drug induced jargon..... even by my standards.

I never understood what was so great about either of them.... it's not like their music was actually thought provoking or anything.

We all live in a yellow submarine?

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?

Leave my Kitten Alone?

I think 96% of their albums were fillers and there was perhaps one or two good songs on each album..... that's it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Beatles were one of the few bands of their time to write songs with real melodies - crafted, artful songs. Lennon/McCartney were truly gifted artists when they wrote together. There is no comparison.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I first heard the beatles while in the hospital in 1964, spring of if I remeber correctly, at that time I had not had a haircut for three months my room was directly accross from the girls ward, I was a chick magnot briefly untill my mother insisted on destroying my beatle look. I never recovered.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,oh
You were only waiting for this moment to arise, oh

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Both groups had excellent song writing. With the that said...

The Beatles were the group your parents loved, the Stones were the group your parents feared. The Stones were by far the more rock'n'roll group, Beatles were more pop. Sympathy for the Devil over Revolution, Mother's Little Helper over Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I prefer the Rolling Stones for one song in particular. Paint It Black is one of my favourite songs of all time.:cool:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think in terms of greatness the nod goes to the Beatles but I enjoyed the Rolling Stones music better.

Gimme Shelter...

Boy what a song!

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
They both definitely have contributed some major classics from back in the day but I think that The Beatles have a better overall catalog though. The Rolling Stones, since the about the 70's, haven't really done anything that even comes close to what both bands were doing in the 60's.

torrey

Feb 23, 2010
While the Beatles crafted catchier and more listenable songs, I think the Stones had a more raw and untapped sound that would continually grow on you.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
All your life

Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free

All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise,oh
You were only waiting for this moment to arise, oh

A tune which, for some reason, always brings to mind my late good friend, a Beatles fan.....

Anyway, no contest, certainly none in the area of musical talent....the Beatles win easily.

Although Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, Paint It Black.....etc, are great tunes....

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I prefer the Beatles in general. I do like the older Stones a lot, though.

Rock & Roll never stopped. Pretty tough to stab a train in the back and expect it to stop. It is still being written and it gave birth to a variety of offshoots. The Beatles just morphed from it to another branch and so did the Stones.
Lots of people kept r&r alive: The Stray Cats, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, and so on have all written some 50s style rock & roll.

Last edited: