Buying new appliances

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Buying new appliances.....What a pain.

When we bought our house in Nanaimo almost four years ago, we thought ourselves lucky to find both a new fridge and an new dishwasher. The stove was in pretty good shape but it had a few miles on it. The dishwasher was a new Frigidaire, but it was their lowest entry level unit that makes you pretty well wash the dishes before you put them into the dishwasher. It has only one propeller sprayer on the bottom....Nothing on the top or middle. The fridge has been a good fridge and we won't replace it till next year but the dishwasher and stove are history,

We've selected an Ingliss dishwasher and a Samsung range with a self-cleaning oven and smooth cook top, both in brushed stainless steel.. We are still fussing over that convection feature. I'm not convinced we need it.

Any ideas?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We purchased a maytag frig and stove 9 years ago, when we moved into our present house.

I love the frig, but it makes a funny loud noise every so often, they say it is normal, and
just adjusting itself, so, what can I say to that, but it is hillarious, and quite entertaining,
and sometimes startling.

The stove is self clean with smooth top and convection, and I love it so much. The
convection cooks food faster and more efficiently. When my daughter was staying with
us, she cooked her bread in it for a year, and she said her bread was better than ever,
she loves the oven. Top is easy to clean, a little scraper and a bottle of stove top cream, but I
now use Ajax, a little on the wet side, which does the job just as well, as that cream
is quite expensive.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi talloola

We've just got back from the appliance store........At the last minute we decided on a Maytag convection oven with a stainless steel face and trim. We stuck with the Ingliss dishwasher. What this has spurred us into is a complete kitchen remodeling and it looks like we'll be getting a side by side fridge/freezer.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hi talloola

We've just got back from the appliance store........At the last minute we decided on a Maytag convection oven with a stainless steel face and trim. We stuck with the Ingliss dishwasher. What this has spurred us into is a complete kitchen remodeling and it looks like we'll be getting a side by side fridge/freezer.

Very exciting, I love doing stuff in the house, will be painting again in the fall.

We have a McClary dishwasher, and it had to have a new 'pump' or 'whatever' put into
it, but not until our 'new' laminate, (down for only about 8 mths.), got ruined, as the
dishwasher leaked down through the bottom every time it was in use, and immediately
disappeared under the floor, took quite a while before our laminate was starting to
warp in an area away from the dishwasher, of course, insurance was called, all of the new
laminate had to be taken up, complete kitchen,family rm, and two hallways, as they
discontinued making that pattern, what a mess, and what a waste.

enjoy your new appliances, and have fun remodelling. Watch out for those side by side
friges, as I found that most of them seem too small on each side, but I like the new ones
that have two doors, but 'one big area' inside, and the freezer on the bottom.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We are still fussing over that convection feature. I'm not convinced we need it.

Any ideas?

I love the options you've chosen. Smooth top, self cleaning. Love love those.

Personally, I'm torn on the convection. I had it in my last place, and it was lovely for cooking two pans of cookies at once without having to fuss (here I just rotate the pans half way through and it does essentially the same thing). But, it kept my best pizza pan from being able to fit because it eats up a bit of room in the oven. I don't miss the feature here, and I don't think I'll pay extra for it when I buy new appliances this winter.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hi talloola

*cringe*

Okay, I missed this post when I replied about the convection... oh well.

But I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend avoiding a side by side fridge/freezer. Storage in them is so immensely frustrating if you like to entertain and are ever putting platters or casserole dishes in them. I'd recommend a french door fridge with a freezer on the bottom over a side by side anyday. If you've completely got your heart set on a side by side, come get mine. I'll give it to you (black and stainless steel) just for the honor of meeting you. I loathe it, and will be happily getting rid of it when the remodel occurs.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Our Coleman works wonders. It's a pretty blue, too, except I can't find blue propane bottles to match. We haven't been able to find the oven in it yet, but it has three burners on top that work magnificently. Still using the BBQ for the oven. :) The box I built over the creek works like a charm keeping things cool, too.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Our Coleman works wonders. It's a pretty blue, too, except I can't find blue propane bottles to match. We haven't been able to find the oven in it yet, but it has three burners on top that work magnificently. Still using the BBQ for the oven. :) The box I built over the creek works like a charm keeping things cool, too.

It is so hard on the back,when I wash my dishes in the creek, don't you have a good
invention for that?;-)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Haven't bought a new appliance in 12 years. IMPHO a con is going on here by the manufacturers & retailers.

Yeah ... when my parents 1956 Crosley (the fridge that saw me grow and move out) still keeps the worms cold and they've bought three new throw-aways since (at the craziest of prices) There's a scam. Everything's disposable now.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
*cringe*

Okay, I missed this post when I replied about the convection... oh well.

But I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend avoiding a side by side fridge/freezer. Storage in them is so immensely frustrating if you like to entertain and are ever putting platters or casserole dishes in them. I'd recommend a french door fridge with a freezer on the bottom over a side by side anyday. If you've completely got your heart set on a side by side, come get mine. I'll give it to you (black and stainless steel) just for the honor of meeting you. I loathe it, and will be happily getting rid of it when the remodel occurs.

Sorry I'm late getting back to you. The reason we are looking at a side by side is pure convenience, Right now our freezer is downstairs and our fridge is upstairs in the kitchen. We thought the side by side would cut out at least some of the running up and down stairs. One thing we won't be getting is the ice maker option because it takes just too much space away from the freezer. The side by side we are looking at has a nine cubic foot freezer and a seventeen cubic foot fridge. The sxs fridge is just about the same size as out current fridge. Is there anything else wrong with the side by side set up?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sorry I'm late getting back to you. The reason we are looking at a side by side is pure convenience, Right now our freezer is downstairs and our fridge is upstairs in the kitchen. We thought the side by side would cut out at least some of the running up and down stairs. One thing we won't be getting is the ice maker option because it takes just too much space away from the freezer. The side by side we are looking at has a nine cubic foot freezer and a seventeen cubic foot fridge. The sxs fridge is just about the same size as out current fridge. Is there anything else wrong with the side by side set up?

The cubic feet isn't the issue juan, it's the overall width. If you don't want an icemaker, I'd highly recommend a freezer on the bottom, fridge on top type fridge. The cubic feet spread out over such a tall, narrow space is what becomes the annoyance. The freezer will not fit even a small frozen pizza box, not that that's an issue for everyone, but it also won't fit half my casserole dishes either. The fridge will not fit a roasting pan, will not fit my big salad bowl, and definitely won't fit my favorite serving platters when I'm entertaining and have made something up in advance. The narrow space becomes highly, highly annoying. Not having a big family, and if you don't entertain much, it might not drive you around the bend quite the same though. But don't let the simple cubic foot measurement trick you.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The cubic feet isn't the issue juan, it's the overall width. If you don't want an icemaker, I'd highly recommend a freezer on the bottom, fridge on top type fridge. The cubic feet spread out over such a tall, narrow space is what becomes the annoyance. The freezer will not fit even a small frozen pizza box, not that that's an issue for everyone, but it also won't fit half my casserole dishes either. The fridge will not fit a roasting pan, will not fit my big salad bowl, and definitely won't fit my favorite serving platters when I'm entertaining and have made something up in advance. The narrow space becomes highly, highly annoying. Not having a big family, and if you don't entertain much, it might not drive you around the bend quite the same though. But don't let the simple cubic foot measurement trick you.

I'm totally with you on this one, as my daughter had a side by side, and it was very cramped.
It definitely set my mind on my next frig, which we have now, and it is a regular
maytag, slide out trays, (which I don't use much), but the overall space is great,
the freezer is on the top, and that's OK, as my freezer is right out side the slider on
the patio, only a few steps.
If I was buying a new frig now, I would get the one with two doors, large open interior, and freezer on the bottom, but, even those freezers sometimes are shaped funny,
and don't have enough room, big at the top, and small at the bottom, so test them
thoroughly.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm totally with you on this one, as my daughter had a side by side, and it was very cramped.
It definitely set my mind on my next frig, which we have now, and it is a regular
maytag, slide out trays, (which I don't use much), but the overall space is great,
the freezer is on the top, and that's OK, as my freezer is right out side the slider on
the patio, only a few steps.
If I was buying a new frig now, I would get the one with two doors, large open interior, and freezer on the bottom, but, even those freezers sometimes are shaped funny,
and don't have enough room, big at the top, and small at the bottom, so test them
thoroughly.

my only reason for wanting a freezer on the bottom is my back. Since I use the fridge more, I'd rather full access to that without having to bend, than to the freezer. Conventional fridges do just fine most of the time when it comes to space.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Karrie & talloola

I'm beginning to see what you mean. Maybe we could rearrange things in the pantry, which is upstairs and put the freezer in there. That way we could keep our old fridge....which is G-ddamn white and not stainless like the stove and the dishwasher,,,,Anybody want to buy a white, 15 cubic foot fridge with a 5 cubic foot top freezer

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
well juan, you could always take your existing fridge to the professionals to get it painted black. Or paint it yourself if you're good with that sort of thing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
well juan, you could always take your existing fridge to the professionals to get it painted black. Or paint it yourself if you're good with that sort of thing.

I'd probably have to get a new paint brush:roll::smile:

I should be able to get something for the fridge. It's only four years old and it looks good. That side by side was going to cost close to four thousand dollars. I'll have another look.at it. We don't do a lot of entertaining. Maybe we can make it work.