Is anyone going to the Abbotsford Air Show ?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've attended this show since it started in 1962. I've seen Other Big air shows: Farnborough, Paris, Oshkosh, as well as the Payne Field show in Washington State. The Abbotsford show compares favourably with any of them. Abbotsford is a flying show from start to finish though there are a lot of aircraft on display that you can look at up close. It's a full day's entertainment...Bring your sun block......:smile:

http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/flying-displays.html

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I went to the Southern Alberta air show in Lethbridge last weekend. Very cool. The main act was Tora, Tora, Tora, recreating the Pearl Harbour attack. They also had the new C-117 and the usual CF-18's and some A-10's. No Snowbirds though. First air show I've ever seen without them. That was disappointing, but all in all, still a good show. Worth the $15 ticket price for 7 hours of entertainment.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I went to the Southern Alberta air show in Lethbridge last weekend. Very cool. The main act was Tora, Tora, Tora, recreating the Pearl Harbour attack. They also had the new C-117 and the usual CF-18's and some A-10's. No Snowbirds though. First air show I've ever seen without them. That was disappointing, but all in all, still a good show. Worth the $15 ticket price for 7 hours of entertainment.

This year at least, we get both the Snowbirds and the U.S. Airforce Thunderbirds. Both are excellent teams. We'll also get a look at the new Super Hornet fighter. I'm looking forward to seeing the show. I'll try to get some good photos.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
We have a pretty decent air show here on fathers day every year. Seen some real rarities, including a P-38, Hawker Typhoon (and hurricanes too) and the oddest one IMO a Junkers 52 from the Confederate Air Force. Oh and can't forget the mosquito, or the Lancaster- that sucker flies over fairly often on clear weekends, totally awesome.

There's ALWAYS one "team" there so I have seen the thunderbirds, blue angels and the snowbirds several times each. I have an affinity for WW2 aircraft since my grandpa was a Flight Officer in the RCAF during WW2, flying many marks of Spitfires geared up for recon. Only got shot down 3 times lol

Hope you snag some good pics #juan, can't wait to see 'em

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a wild one that I didn't take Kent Pietch does this during his comedy routine. He actually drags a wing tip in the dirt for twenty five feet.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I took some video and pictures from the show, but forgot the docking cable for my camera back in NS! But one of my buddies took over 700 pictures, will check out his facebook to see if he has any up yet.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My son has just bought the big new Canon Digital Rebel with a huge zoom lens. We generally get a few good shots. I'll post them here on the Monday or the Tuesday after the show.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
One of my friend's pictures that stands above the rest is four fellas repelling out of a Griffon, with two CF-18s flying by in the background. Very cool shot!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've only been there one year, when we were living on the mainland, and our daughter's ball team had
a concession stand there, to make money for our canadian championships tournament.
Worked so hard I didn't see much of the air show.

On the island, we have our own air show every second year, so I go there once in a while.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've only been there one year, when we were living on the mainland, and our daughter's ball team had
a concession stand there, to make money for our canadian championships tournament.
Worked so hard I didn't see much of the air show.

On the island, we have our own air show every second year, so I go there once in a while.

talloola

Is there a show in Comox this year?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
talloola

Is there a show in Comox this year?
I'll have to check on that, as I'm not sure, I know they cancelled one, may be that
was last year, (because of military committments), so possibly, there is one this
year, but I will confirm shortly.

update: can't find any information re: air show, assuming there isn't one this year.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't know talloola, the Comox show is likely over.....It used to be the week before Abbotsford. I found a site where people were looking forward to the 2008 Comox show

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't know talloola, the Comox show is likely over.....It used to be the week before Abbotsford. I found a site where people were looking forward to the 2008 Comox show

Yeah it would have been over by now, so don't think their was one, heard nothing about
it, and our golf course would have been closed that day, and that didn't happen.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We got some pretty good shots. I'll try to get a few of them posted sometime tomorrow.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Another fun event is Seafair in Seattle. That was on a week ago. Combination of Blue Angels, a Harrier and other assorted flight deomstrations along with hydryoplane races. You can get very good viewing points for the boats (and planes). It's quite the event. I haven't been to it for awhile but will make a point of it again someday.