Freaking rain, what a weird summer

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Another day with no work due to rain. Last summer I made real good coin landscaping in Calgary. This year, with all the rain in Alberta, my hours are waaaay down from last year. Craptastic. Was 60+ hours a week last year, and this year it's probably about 40 a week average now. Blah!

:angry3:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
yeah, it's bee raining PLENTY here- tho growing swamp plants in a little bog in my yard makes me somewhat appreciative of it, it's still rained a bit more than I would like

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Paul, I didn't know you were in Alberta. I thought you were still back east. Sorry this year hasn't been as good as last.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The lawns are still green here! They should be a healthy yellow/brown by now! :D Oddly enough, I haven't noticed many skeeters this summer, and that aint bad!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ahhh well. C'est la vie right? Been here since May 1. Wouldn't mind the rain so much if Dad wasn't always on call. Then we could actually plan to do some fun stuff. He's been on call for three of every four weeks this year from January 1 til now.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's the changes in the wind. Humid Gulf air is getting a lot farther north than it used to. I don't know if it's due to cooler water (thus cooler air) near the equatorial Pacific or Western Canada is facing this way when they let out all those disgusted sighs. Right about now, in normal times, you wouldn't dare make a spark in the bush. My yard should be starting to look like a Brillo pad. No such luck. It's a jungle out there - lush, green and tropical sticky. Hell, the beavers aren't even bothering with blocking up my spillways.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We've only just gotten some rain in Northern Nova Scotia all the geezers say they haven't seen it so dry for a while. Abuddy down the road says he lost about forty thousand dollars worth of strawberrys this week because of the high temperature rain and humidity the mold was at the berries in one day.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I left for two weeks on vacation T... mowed the lawns before we left, and figured that with our normal weather, that would be plenty. A lawn not being watered usually turns brown and stops growing, so, it would be fine by the time we got home. Right? When we got home the front lawn had been mowed by a neighbor, and the backlawn had been mowed by friends. They had to go get a gas mower to do it, because one push with the reel mower simply tangled it up mercilessly in the grass.

My tomato plants planned a great escape, and when we got home had grown almost two feet each and were well out of their cages, stretching to try to get free entirely.

It's not a typical prairie summer, and frankly, the humidity is shocking to me.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Meh.... we needed the rain here in Atlantic Canada, as the Tropical Storm that passed us helped remove the fire ban and reduce the index.... not to mention the break from the humidity here sure is a nice change, now that it's cloudy and blocking the sun from heating up the ocean and surrounding area.

Still typical Altantic Canadian weather here..... cain't wait for more Tropical Storms/Hurricanes.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A pleasant surprise to return to ehh Karrie? The humidity reminds me of home ;)

Though I do enjoy the cooler weather. Last summer was killer. The guys around here say that EC was forecasting a hot summer, >40°C. I'm glad that didn't happen.

I'm starting to sound like a farmer with all this weather chat/complaining :D

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A pleasant surprise to return to ehh Karrie? The humidity reminds me of home ;)

Though I do enjoy the cooler weather. Last summer was killer. The guys around here say that EC was forecasting a hot summer, >40°C. I'm glad that didn't happen.

I'm starting to sound like a farmer with all this weather chat/complaining :D

I'm happy for the cooler weather too. It's easier and cheaper to try to keep the sod healthy and the gardens growing.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Makes my boss more money on his maintenance contracts, though we're behind schedule by a week on construction jobs. I like it because I sweat less :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In Nanaimo we've had sunny with cloudy periods or cloudy with sunny periods and temperatures around twenty three to twenty eight for the last month. This weather looks to continue for at least the next week. The only down side is that our front lawn is looking a bit like shredded wheat. We water the flour beds that we've put a lot of work into but we don't water the lawns. There have been a couple days of rain over the past month and a bit but I like the sunshine.

A neighbor accross the street has put a wonderful vegetable garden in his front yard that looks as good as any landscaping that I've seen but he spends at least two hours a day working on it....I prefer to watch and admire....:lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A neighbor accross the street has put a wonderful vegetable garden in his front yard that looks as good as any landscaping that I've seen but he spends at least two hours a day working on it....I prefer to watch and admire....:lol:

I'm liking the route we took, with veggie beds all around the yard instead of one large garden. It means that I can pick and choose what needs the most attention, and just tend a little bit without feeling like I've stopped part way through.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We have a single Beefsteak tomato plant in a half barrel. It's about five feet high with lots of flowers but no tomatoes as yet. We might have started it a bit late.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We have a single Beefsteak tomato plant in a half barrel. It's about five feet high with lots of flowers but no tomatoes as yet. We might have started it a bit late.

HA! They all come in at once. Before you know it, you have people avoiding you because they know you have another bag of tomatoes for them.... My cherry tomatoes have just started flowering. The vines met on the trellis a week ago. Mom said it would take a couple of years. Jungle growth. eh?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My neighbor planted Early Girl plants the same time I planted the single beefsteak and he has tomatoes already....Small and green, but he has tomatoes. We'll wait and see......not much choice...:smile: