English Civil War ghost is caught on film

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An eerie image caught on camera is believed to be that of a soldiers that was killed during the Battle of Naseby, on 14th June 1645, during the English Civil War.

The battle was fought between the Parliamentarian army (the Roundheads) and the Royalist army (the Cavaliers) in Northamptonshire, and saw a heroic last stand by Prince Rupert's Bluecoats.

The Roundheads were commanded by Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell and the Cavaliers by King Charles I and Prince Rupert.

It was a decisive Roundhead victory, and the Royalists never really recovered from this battle, leading to a Roundhead victory in the war.

Between 1649 and 1660, England was a republic - for the only time ever in its history.

English Civil War 'ghost' captured on film by paranormal enthusiasts

13/07/2008
Telegraph

A ghostly figure, supposedly the spirit of a dead soldier from a key battle in the English Civil War, has been captured on film by a group of paranormal enthusiasts.

www.northamptonparanormal.org.uk
The spirit of a dead soldier from the Battle of Naseby has supposedly been captured on film by a group of paranormal enthusiasts

Scene during the Battle Of Naseby in the English Civil War, 1645

The Northampton Paranormal Group caught the figure on camera during a visit to the site of the Battle of Naseby, a field between the villages of Clipston and Naseby in Northamptonshire, last month.

The visit coincided with the 363rd Anniversary of the Battle of Naseby. Members said they heard clunking noises as well as sounds like cannonball fire.

The Last Stand of Prince Rupert's Bluecoats

When the group then looked through pictures they took during the visit, they spotted what appeared to be mysterious figure walking out of the dark carrying something in its hands.

Emma Whiteman, leader of the group, said: “The picture was taken about an hour after we heard the noises but we didn’t see anything at the time.

“When we saw it, when we were looking back through the pictures, we were gobsmacked.

“We’re saying that it’s a soldier. Some people can see it sitting on a horse and some people just see it as a walking soldier.”

The Battle of Naseby in 1645 was a key win for the Parliamentarians over the Royalists in the English Civil War.

The battle involved more than 21,000 troops when the Royal army, under Prince Rupert, was beaten by Parliamentary troops led by Sir Thomas Fairfax.

Adrian Perkin, an author and 'ghost detective’, said he thought the image was a soldier with a musket or pike walking through a gateway.

He said: “If this is genuine it’s a very, very, good example. It’s the best I have seen for many years.”

Sceptics said the effect was caused by the camera itself.

Anne Haddon, of The Naseby Battlefield Project, said: “I haven’t heard anything like this at the battlefield in all my association with it. It’s fair to say I’m a bit sceptical.”

telegraph.co.uk