a new low for canada (air canada)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Unbelievable?

I'm about to travel overseas, and I can't even fathom on an international flight, the kind of panic that would start if one of the passengers went into seizures and died along the way. Regardless of how many assurances could be given that she's not contagious, she'd be a dead little girl on your flight. People would panic. People are generally panicky creatures, and those flights are HUGE.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I am confused by this story

While Air Canada has a great Vancouver to HongKong flight system, why did his mother have to take that option when others were avaiable to her and her child?

She is from Kentucky and through the Red Cross International or Mercy Flights from the Doctors Without Borders group she could have secured a more appropriate flight with all
the medical necessities for the care of her little girl.

It was risky taking a flight where the routine could bring on stress which in turn could exacerbate a seizure.

The additional bad advice was given that AirCanada did not have the medical information necessary weeks ahead of the flight date so the child could have been accommodated properly. I can only think the child was functioning well and appeared it would be more
pleasant for her to be treated as a healthy traveller than a sick one.

Still - children are flown into the USA for all manner of mercy surgery and treatment from all over the world - I don't know why the family had to raise money and book a commercial flight.

Someone didn't check out all the options perhaps? This is a terrible outcome for a family.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I am confused by this story

While Air Canada has a great Vancouver to HongKong flight system, why did his mother have to take that option when others were avaiable to her and her child?

She is from Kentucky and through the Red Cross International or Mercy Flights from the Doctors Without Borders group she could have secured a more appropriate flight with all
the medical necessities for the care of her little girl.

It was risky taking a flight where the routine could bring on stress which in turn could exacerbate a seizure.

The additional bad advice was given that AirCanada did not have the medical information necessary weeks ahead of the flight date so the child could have been accommodated properly. I can only think the child was functioning well and appeared it would be more
pleasant for her to be treated as a healthy traveller than a sick one.

Still - children are flown into the USA for all manner of mercy surgery and treatment from all over the world - I don't know why the family had to raise money and book a commercial flight.

Someone didn't check out all the options perhaps? This is a terrible outcome for a family.

Air Canada sucks. Just MHO. No one has to agree.

I'm also confused why she didn't check out available stuff from home.........Kentucky Air or whatever.

Don't think we're getting the whole story.

Don't care. Nasty for the family.

BTW: Air Canada sucks.

:evil4:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

The issue is, these stem cell therapies that China is doing have been advised by both American and Canadian doctors to be avoided as unproven, unsafe, placebo effect procedures which are designed to prey on the pocket books of desperate Westerners. Getting a mercy flight to China for one of these procedures is highly unlikely.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Air Canada sucks. Just MHO. No one has to agree.

I'm also confused why she didn't check out available stuff from home.........Kentucky Air or whatever.

Don't think we're getting the whole story.

Don't care. Nasty for the family.

BTW: Air Canada sucks.

:evil4:

LOL Nugg

When you're the only bull in the barn..... well you know....competition brings safety standards, good public relations, recognition of the importance of passenger pleasure and accommodation, plus more efficient operation.

Air Canada and before that TCA used to be the standard bearer for airline regulations.

Karrie

So the family was going AMA? Now that's risky and changes the picture. Still this
medical information unavailable in time.... sounds a bit pricky.

More like "don't want to get involved".

Terrible decision for any family - and the child is the victim.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

So the family was going AMA? Now that's risky and changes the picture. Still this
medical information unavailable in time.... sounds a bit pricky.

More like "don't want to get involved".

Terrible decision for any family - and the child is the victim.
I don't know if their own docs supported it or not, but, in general it's a very contentious topic.

As for medical information not available in time... that's just plain bad planning IMO. With any rare condition like hers, one would think that the parents would be prepared knowing that it's not a simple thing to look up, and it's unlikely the airlines would have a 'guideline' for it.

The kid loses in the end all right. And that sucks, big time. But... well... I have my views of these procedures, and I don't know that things would have ended any differently for her. I've yet to hear of any good outcomes from these sorts of trips.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

A Chinese medical facility may not have the antiseptic regulations which are so necessary in similar settings in the western world.

Mom may have subjected her child to further problems.

I wonder if she was doing this without the advice of her medical advisors.

I often don't know mothers handle themselves when their kids' lives are at stake. It must be the depth of anger and rage at life watching a beloved child in trauma.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know about Chinese hospitals or sanitation. But I do know that I've gotten the impression that these therapies prey heavily upon desperation. And what would be more desperate than this mother? Hope for this child means hope for the younger child too. No help means watching not one, but two children, die to a genetic fluke. I can't even fathom how I'd react.