Caring for houseplants

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've recently decided to give it another go at trying to have some plants in my flat. My problem for the past couple of years is that they constantly die after a few months so I'm seeking tips on how to keep these guys for atleast a little bit longer if not much longer.

I've asked the florist what I did wrong with the last ones and she came to the conclusion I gave them too much water.. but sometimes I give them too little and they dry up.

As you can see in the attached photos, I prefer tropical palm plants so I don't even know how much sunlight they require. I've placed them by the window, but most summer days I have the shades closed because of the eastern sun, it becomes extremely hot in here. Furthermore, I give them fertiliser approx once a month...

... but they still seem to die quite quickly!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
is that a radiator they're on? that might be the problem if they get too hot they wont like it.

In most cases when a plant dies on me it's because i gave it either too much or too little water. Most plants will survive, but not terribly well, without any fertilizer at all. Check the labels when you buy a plant to find out if it likes shady or sunny, wet or dry, and try to stick to that

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
The radiator is off during the summer, but when winter comes I'll move them some place else as it does get too hot for plants.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i see. Generally, i think just getting the right amount of watering will keep them alive. the right amount of sunshine and some food will make them fluorish.

You'd be surprised how little water some plants need. I have an aloe which requires a trickle of water once every three weeks

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
it's either too much or too little water I would guarantee it. Those guys don't need too much light, I grow them year-round in a north facing window.
The fact that they die so quickly indicates something MUCH worse than low-light, those types of plants can just sit there and do nothing for months without much light and hardly any water

Do you re-pot them yourself into your own growing medium or do you just keep them as-is? And also about the fertilizer, that kind of plant really doesn't need much- do you use a plant specific type?? What kind of fertilizer do you use?? I would suggest less water and less fertilizer

OH and real important- do the pots provide adequate drainage?? Poor drainage will kill plants FAST

I grow a LOT of very difficult plants, the ones you like are easy, I WILL help you make them live- no joke, I don't even have to try to grow them

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yep potting is an issue here too. They usually come from the place you bought them from nearly root bound. And by the looks of them, they are probably there. Do you care for these plants? I don't mean do you water them and stuff, but do you like them as though you would a pet? Try it. If I were you I would let them go without water so that the soil on top is dry. Repot them in larger containers, with some perlite, compost and plant soil. Then water them. A tell tale sign of over watering is the tips of the leaves begin to turn brown.

You should buy a spray bottle and then get into a routine of watering once a week, and misting (foliar feeding) each morning. You might also want to buy a meter that tells you the moisture of the soil. They run from cheap to expensive and will help you learn what the soil looks like when it needs water and when it doesn't.

Once a month, move the plants to the bathroom and run the shower to steam the bathroom up. Then let them sit in there with the door closed for a while to soak up the humidity. They are tropical plants after all.

Lastly, that radiator will kill the roots even if it comes on once in a while.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi, Andem;
I see you got some good advice already. I, too, would think it is a watering-problem,... too much of it. From own experience over the years I have found, when leaves turn yellow it is an indication of too much water. If leaves dry-up and shrivel... too little water. Certainly, all plants HATE getting wet feet, standing in water. Check your pots for drainage, there should be at least one hole. If water collects in the Untersetzer, then dump it immediately.

Here is good advice off the web:
I am an avid gardener and I get asked this question all the time, the funny thing is the answer is so simple you will wonder why you didn't think of it. Put your finger in the soil of your plant up to about 1/2", if it's dry, water it, if it feels damp don't water it just yet. Also always use a pot with drain holes in the bottom and put a tray under it, if there is still water in the tray don't water.
Good luck!;-)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Treat them like kids. Put the TeleTubbies on the tube. Sing lullabies when it's nighty-night time. Discipline the little buggers; Tie them to sticks if they aren't standng up straight.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One tip for you Andem.

The dracaena 'dragon tree'... the one on the left in the last set of pics... and the deifenbachea (or dumbcane), in the second pic on the right hand side... those will be your most vivid 'indicator plants'.

When watering, wait until either one of those (you'll see which one is more sensitive), droops a bit, before you water. You don't want to be overwatering, and that will show you that they actually got a bit dry. Try not to let them keel right over of course, because doing that too often is hard on them too. But, wait until one of them droops a bit, and then water lightly.

They will also tell you the clearest if you are overwatering, as both are prone to 'tipping' (the tips of the leaves will turn brown) if their root balls get too soaked.

All of those have fairly similar light and watering needs, so, you should be able to just listen to what your indicator plants are telling you, rather than fussing over each one.

Best of luck.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Andem, It also looks like you may have a light issue as well with that building next door. This makes 'drying down' between waterings more important.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Andem,

Over-watering is the primary reason indoor plants die. Plant roots need water and oxygen to flourish, too much water leads to oxygen deprivation because it blocks oxygen from reaching the roots.

The rule of thumb when watering your plants is to stick your finger in the soil, if it is dry, water it, if it is damp leave it alone.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hehe, I see lots of good advice has already been given. All I can say is... if you want to be able to take care of more difficult tropicals, consider buying a really good house plant book (with colour photos!). They can be invaluable in determining what plant you just bought if they don't come with a good tag.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I tend to over-water. As long as I have good air circulation and a fair amount of light, my in-house jungle thrives. Hell, a few years back, one of the kids hung a red plastic monkey (from Barrel of Monkeys, I assume) in a pointsettia I've allowed to bush. I only discovered it a couple of days ago while I was pruning it back....

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wow. Tons of great advice! Good news: The plants are still alive and not drooping or changing colour.

@eh1eh: Light issues? The only issue would be too much light. Since I'm on the top of the building, I get way too much light, too much infact that it's upto 8C degrees warmer inside during the summer than it is outside (with the air conditioner off).

What I've learned so far:

> Brownish leaf tips are a sign of overwatering. (I assume yellow also counts?)
> Dried up leaves are a sign of too little watering.
> If soil seems damp, watering is not required. Check with finger upto 1/2 inch.
> Dry soil = needs water.
> Make sure the drainage water is dumped immediately and that there is infact a pop with drainage.
> The 3rd and 6th plants are the indicator plants.

Bold = what I think I did wrong with the last lot.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Check your PH
If your medium is organic soil in those small pots you do not have enough buffer to compensate for over watering or over fertilizing, I once grew lots of plants in pots that size and proper PH and PPM were vitally important.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, yellowish tips also count. It's the biggest reason for overwatering, because the tips get crispy and dry, so people assume 'more water!' when in fact they need more oxygen to their roots.

And dried up leaves aren't necessarily a sign of underwatering. Limp leaves are. Sometimes dried up leaves just means that you're plant is trying to 'leg out' to get to the sun, so it drops old leaves and puts energy into growing taller/longer instead. Look at the whole plant to decide if the odd dried leaf is a water issue or not, or if maybe your plant just wants a move.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Use pots that allow exess water to escape. I'm guilty of over-watering so it has spared many a plant from root rot or outright drowning. Also, once in a while you should leach the plants to rid them of accumulated salts. Just set the pot (assuming it allows drainage) in the bathtub and let the water run in a mild stream for fifteen minutes or so. Let the soil dry before watering, then give it a taste of Miracle Grow (about half what they recommend) as a treat

Last edited: