Are you brand loyal?

Are you brand loyal?

• Yes, I will only purchase products made by 'x'.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes to an extent.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No, I go with what is the best bang for the buck.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No, I go with what is cheapest.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Good topic Bear. I probably am a bit of #2 and #3 pick, depending on the product or service.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Me...

I'm brand loyal, but not to a fault.

I field test and read reviews, I look for pro's that do not have a financial attachment to the product and listen to them.

When it comes to Hunting and Fishing, I'm a minimalist. I want what's best and I want very little of it.

So I look for items that are good for multi species of prey and or game. I look for multi season gear, I look for durability, quality and price.

But most of all, I look for gear that will bag me my target.

Flash, hype, sparkles and gimmicks don't do that.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Personally I've seen WAY too many instances of products coming off the same line and having different labels applied to reflect a hierarchy of "quality"

So in my view, "brand" has NOTHING to do with anything. IF a particular brand has the best quality/value then so be it, but should a better quality/value become available I don't see why I wouldn't change to that if I need it

And with the myriad vertical monopolies out there in many cases it would seem to me that it makes little difference, all the money is going to very few places at the top when it's all boiled down

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Cool insight mabudon...

Here's a question for ya.

If you went into a store looking for one manufacturers product, but that store didn't carry that manufacturers product, but the same product made by someone else. Would you believe the staff if they told you that they believed in what they carried and proceeded to tell you why it's the best choice?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Nope, the only reason I am usually looking for a specific product from a specific manufacturer is when I am told by a professional friend of mine with a LOT of knowledge in the field said it's that or nothing. NO one working on commission is going to convince me that my professional friend (and most of my friends are kinda super-intelligent and straight-up) was not telling me the whole deal

If I'm just "buying blind" then usually I am just looking for a specific thing (say screws or a float for my toilet or whatever) and in that case I am an excellent judge of construction of physical things(as in what materials perform how and what type of design flaws are built into the thing, whatever) so I just asess what I need and grab the thing that looks most suited.

I do NOT like people trying to sell me anything EVER(that's why certain things politically make me so angry, I can see a pitch from a mile away and good products tend to sell themselves). If I want opinions on something I either ask my friends or research it online thoroughly...

Not sure if that answered the question you posed tho, if not I can make another attempt

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I am brand loyal but only to a certain extent. That is, if I find a product that does what it says it does and is reasonably priced, I stick with it. If - as often happens - the quality of the product deteriorates, I will drop that brand like a hot potato and look for something else. And yes, price does play a role as well - if they start jacking the price up, again I will look for another brand that is comparable but more reasonably priced.

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
#2 for me.

I long ago stopped buying things based on price and instead focused on quality, though I would still shop around for the best price on a quality item.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I am brand loyal to an extent.

There are some things that don't make sense to me to pay more for, even if it's better quality, due to the nature of how quickly they are used. Toilet paper for example. Ziploc bags. Food wrap.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Here's my conundrum,

I have a series of products I find to be of the absolute highest quality.

Bear Archery
PSE Archery
Browning Fishing Rods
Shimano Reels
Mitchel Reels
Okuma Reels
G Loomis Rods
Hindsight Inc Sights
Carbon Express Arrows
Muzzy Broadheads
True Glow pin sights
Alumitech Climbing Stands
Gorilla Stands
Cabella's Outterwear Camo
Columbia Boots
Irish Setter Boots
Danner Boots
Primos Calls
Knight&Hale Calls
Buck Master Calls

These haven't achieved the Bear's seal of approval easily. They have been field tested and put through their perspective paces.

I've read all sorts of reviews, from the pro's and hunters alike.

Take the PSE Archery bows. The PSE Deer Hunter bow, which is the Bow that my boys got for Christmas. It's an upper end entry level Bow. I read several reviews, one of which claimed it was loud, the cables were shyte and the package sights were garbage. But the price, was excellent. It comes as a complete package, Bow, Sight, Quiver. All you need to add is arrows, release, Hindsight, kisser button and nock loop.

These Bows are near silent, the cables are top notch.

Sure, it's going to cost you around $300 CDN completely kitted to hunt. You could spend more and trust me, I looked at higher end Bows. They were noisier, and if they weren't, they were comparable to the cheaper PSE. So why pay more?

So, if someone were to ask me for a recommendation, I would recommend this Bow for a beginner. If I were a retailer, this is what I would push on someone looking to enter the sport as an adult, let alone getting their kids into the hobby or sport.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Bear, what I know about hunting or fishing could fit on the head of a pin. The one thing I'm sure of though is that is an activity where you want to be as best prepared with the best equipment you can afford. Also, this type of outfitting doesn't have to happen with regularity does it? I mean, once you purchase the main gear, you should get years of consistently good use out of it right?

With that in mind, I'd think people would be willing to pay the extra to get a good product that is built to last and remain reliable, no?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I suppose it depends on who you're marketing to. If it's generally a bunch of guys on beer trips they probably won't spend a lot. If they're retiring boomers with money to spend on their reirement dream, they might. Also, is it a captive audience or can they easily find a local Wal-Mart to buy cheap?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Bear, what I know about hunting or fishing could fit on the head of a pin. The one thing I'm sure of though is that is an activity where you want to be as best prepared with the best equipment you can afford.
I bet you think it would take alot to learn how to shoot a bow, for the fun of it, or for hunting?

I bet I could get you hitting a 3x3 target in 15 minutes. In a months time, good enough to actually put on game.

It's not hard.

Also, this type of outfitting doesn't have to happen with regularity does it?
True and false.

I'm still using the very first Bow I ever bought. 15 years old and it's only draw back, is weight, it's quiet and it still kills animals dead. Would I like a Truth 2? You bet, do I need a Truth 2? Not at all. This is where I get all preachy about status symbols and dick extensions.
I mean, once you purchase the main gear, you should get years of consistently good use out of it right?
Yep, the only things that should change are sights, rest and strings. As technology advances, you can follow along with up grading components without breaking the bank and be as productive as all hell.

I once walked up to a river bank, next to a guy dressed like he just fell out of a Fishing TV show. He looked at me with my rag tag gear, straight down his nose.

He began packing his gear up and stated that there wasn't anything in that hole. I dipped my light line in and drifted to shots. Bang, 30lb Chinook Salmon. Hangs on my wall today.

The gear means very little when all is said and done. It's in the craft.

With that in mind, I'd think people would be willing to pay the extra to get a good product that is built to last and remain reliable, no?
Yes, 15 years ago, my Bow was top of the line. To me today, it still is. In fact it's quieter then most of the new speed Bows.

I suppose it depends on who you're marketing to. If it's generally a bunch of guys on beer trips they probably won't spend a lot. If they're retiring boomers with money to spend on their reirement dream, they might. Also, is it a captive audience or can they easily find a local Wal-Mart to buy cheap?
It's a little known fact that there are multiple run products.

Retail outlets like Wal mart, CDN Tire, Zellers, require mass produced products with speed, cost and availability being key factors. The illusion of bulk buying being the key factor for the lower cost is just that, an illusion. When you buy a reel at Wal mart and the same reel at your local outdoor retailer, you are in fact buying two different products. The one at the retailer is usually of a higher quality, though for all intents and purposes, it looks and is the same.

And yes, the small retailers biggest competitor are the big box stores.

But where the small retailer can get the upper hand is in service and approachability.

I don't just want you to buy a Bow from me, I won't to make you a better hunter at the lowest damage to your wallet . It's great to be able to buy that $1000 Bow, but if you can't afford the gear to make it work, or the gas to get in the field, it ain't much good.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Bear, what I know about hunting or fishing could fit on the head of a pin. The one thing I'm sure of though is that is an activity where you want to be as best prepared with the best equipment you can afford......

Yes and no. If you fish like I do, then a sales person, no matter how much I like the store, telling me that the reason their hooks cost two or three times more is because they're the 'best', is completely lost upon me. Because I'm gonna lose the darn thing just as quickly if it's a Wal-Mart cheapo or a super nice lure. That's where a variety brands or at least a variety of price points can come in really handy.

Also, having a store that caters only to the expert fishermen/hunters might kind of leave everything out of the price point of the novice who wants to experiment with the products a bit.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes and no. If you fish like I do, then a sales person, no matter how much I like the store, telling me that the reason their hooks cost two or three times more is because they're the 'best', is completely lost upon me. Because I'm gonna lose the darn thing just as quickly if it's a Wal-Mart cheapo or a super nice lure. That's where a variety brands or at least a variety of price points can come in really handy.
Gamagastu are the best hooks and they are twice the price, lol...

I won't settle for anything less. lmao!!!

Also, having a store that caters only to the expert fishermen/hunters might kind of leave everything out of the price point of the novice who wants to experiment with the products a bit.
Which is why I'm leaning to property with enough room for an indoor and outdoor range.

I actually want my twelve year old with less then a years experience to pop a few arrows into a target at 30 yards right in front of a newbie, then have the newbie take a shot at it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I used to actually be pretty good with my brother's cheap little bow. It's something I wouldn't mind taking up again.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I bet you think it would take alot to learn how to shoot a bow, for the fun of it, or for hunting?

I bet I could get you hitting a 3x3 target in 15 minutes. In a months time, good enough to actually put on game.

It's not hard.

oh dear Bear - it's only fair to warn ya - that old expression "... throws like a girl".... ya... that would be me. I'd have more luck hitting the broad side of a barn if I wasn't aiming for it. If you're ever in the vicinity when I'm playing darts, it would be best to get out of the vicinity. Somehow I'm thinking a bow would be much the same.:p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh dear Bear - it's only fair to warn ya - that old expression "... throws like a girl".... ya... that would be me. I'd have more luck hitting the broad side of a barn if I wasn't aiming for it. If you're ever in the vicinity when I'm playing darts, it would be best to get out of the vicinity. Somehow I'm thinking a bow would be much the same.:p

Not at all. A bow doesn't require you to move and aim, it requires you to be still and aim. (unless you're like Bear and your target moves 8O)