Things to do before I die list......

johai

Time Out
Mar 23, 2008
Canada - Golden Triangle
After I graduated from university and got my first job, it for some reason was necessary for me to create such a list. I haven't the faintest clue why I made the list and stuck it on the inside of my front door and carried, to this day, the same tattered list in my wallet. Every once in a while other than either looking at it on my door, but not really paying any attention to it, I would pull it out of my wallet and see how well I was doing. Not very well some five years later. Then I decided the first thing to do on the list was make a will (not an easy thing to do). Some $400.00 later I had an official will. That being done I went back to my everyday life and ignored the list, but at forty years of age as I had purchased a new wallet, I found that list and found it so much more pertinent. I typed up the list and had it laminated and removed the larger list from my door. I had originally put ten things on the list and had only accomplished one. Well now at fifty-seven that list is still around and only three quarters of it have been done. Strangely, though the list still made sense.
Do we really change all that much the older that we become? Unfortunately some parts of the list cannot be ticked off due to circumstances beyond my control. I'm looking at it right now and berating myself.....but then again are we all not are own worse enemies?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Johai

Tastes change as you get older, and that feeling of invincibility tends to lose its luster...

Having the good fortune of being born into wealth is a tremendous head-start, not because you will necessarily benefit from the wealth of your family directly but because it's more likely that their influence on your development will broaden your horizons. If you're clever enough to take advantage of that lovely circumstance wherein your familial prosperity acompanies you through the many and various learning-curves, your approach to living will likely include travel...one of the greatest learning opportunities there is. I'd recomend doing everything you want to do but hold the line at what I regard as ridiculous "X-treme" stuff that places your continued health and well being at unacceptable risk. Time spent on the other end of the spectrum will also serve you well over time. Volunteering to help those less fortunate than yourself will lend depth and color to that broader horizon your fortunate familial circumstance provides. Good old-fashioned work, the kind that gives you blisters and muscle aches..and a tremendous sense of accomplishment will serve you well in appreciating the simpler easier things that a life of prosperity will yield.

Do everything you can and never lose touch with your inherent and inescapable bond with life the earth and everything around you.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I was always a conservatively liberal sort of guy, with no real plans, just taking the path of least resistance.

Now I'm a liberally conservative sort of guy, with no real plans, just taking the path of least resistance.

Go figure, eh!:cool:

:read:(like anybody gives a sh!t)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey Nugg!

Your contributions here at CC expose a solid grounding in common sense, not something one finds in abundance these days! Whatever that mix of liberalism and conservatism might compel you to do, the guide of common sense is the moderator and regulator that keeps those passions in check!

Keep on Keepin On Nugg! :)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thanks Mikey.

That ther brought a tear to me ol eye, eh!

Nice to be common.

Could use a few more cents.

Confusedus say: "no fleaking puns on Sunday"

:lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I already fulfilled my main desire and plan for life. The one big thing I wanted to do 'before I die'.

Now the rest is all gravy.

That's the speed I want to live my life at. I don't want to live in terms of things I'm missing out on. I want to live in terms of bonuses I've been blessed enough to experience.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Speaking of gravy...

I added a 'to do' to my 'to do' list a lil while ago.

So when you coming to Ontario Karrie?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Speaking of gravy...

I added a 'to do' to my 'to do' list a lil while ago.

So when you coming to Ontario Karrie?

Be flattered or slap the cad in the face? Knowing Bear either would thrill him. ;-)

How about I try for a layover in Ontario on my way to Dubrovnik this summer? lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is one thing. Some of you know that I was a fighter pilot back in the sixties. The Arrow was an aircraft that Canadians were very proud of. Diefenbaker scrapped the Arrow and ordered all the aircraft that had been completed destroyed. I have promised myself that one day I would pee on Dief's grave. I haven't done it yet but one day I will.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is one thing. Some of you know that I was a fighter pilot back in the sixties. The Arrow was an aircraft that Canadians were very proud of. Diefenbaker scrapped the Arrow and ordered all the aircraft that had been completed destroyed. I have promised myself that one day I would pee on Dief's grave. I haven't done it yet but one day I will.
Juan, if you need a drive to the cemetary, I'll gladly rent the Limo, dawn the lil black cap and play Chauffeur for ya...Hell I 'll even buy your favourite suds so you can build up some ammo.

Seriously.

So long as you allow me a chance to take a tinkle too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Juan, if you need a drive to the cemetary, I'll gladly rent the Limo, dawn the lil black cap and play Chauffeur for ya...Hell I 'll even buy your favourite suds so you can build up some ammo.

Seriously.

So long as you allow me a chance to take a tinkle too.

Done!!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would like to get married and be a parent before I die.:smile:

Being rich wouldn't hurt either, but it isn't something I need to be content.;-):lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh, did I mention my one condition?

You gotta drive me to Trudeau's grave afterwards...

Just kidding...;-)

Hey, that's the least I could do. I probably won't be peeing with you in Montreal but fair is fair.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Johai

Tastes change as you get older, and that feeling of invincibility tends to lose its luster...

Having the good fortune of being born into wealth is a tremendous head-start, not because you will necessarily benefit from the wealth of your family directly but because it's more likely that their influence on your development will broaden your horizons. If you're clever enough to take advantage of that lovely circumstance wherein your familial prosperity acompanies you through the many and various learning-curves, your approach to living will likely include travel...one of the greatest learning opportunities there is. I'd recomend doing everything you want to do but hold the line at what I regard as ridiculous "X-treme" stuff that places your continued health and well being at unacceptable risk. Time spent on the other end of the spectrum will also serve you well over time. Volunteering to help those less fortunate than yourself will lend depth and color to that broader horizon your fortunate familial circumstance provides. Good old-fashioned work, the kind that gives you blisters and muscle aches..and a tremendous sense of accomplishment will serve you well in appreciating the simpler easier things that a life of prosperity will yield.

Do everything you can and never lose touch with your inherent and inescapable bond with life the earth and everything around you.
yes, now that I am older, I have that strong bond with life on earth, and everything
around me.

I agree with the idea that being born into wealth is a huge advantage, as it gives you
the opportunities to reach out, try lots of things, I realize that now, cause we were
very poor, and the idea of travelling, or going to college, or many other things, did
not even enter my mind, way out of the question, so without any money at all, one
just has to settle for the very basic things in life, and learn to enjoy that, and the
adults around me were the same, as they had grown up poor too. everything becomes
very clear when you're older and can look back and figure it all out very easily.
I left school at the end of grade eleven, high marks, on the honor roll, but for me the idea of working and making money was the focus, so I did that.
My grandmother in Dublin, Ireland, died at the age of 97, and I never saw her, when I
think back today, I am sorry that I didn't fly there many times and visit, or even live
with her for a short time, but in those days, the idea of doing that was out of the
question, far too expensive, so the letters were written, and I settled for that, but
there was a way to save up over time, and do it, just couldn't, then all of a sudden
I was a mother, with four daughters, don't even remember 'my' 30s, was too busy.
Did lots of good old fashioned work, loved it, although it wasn't for money, it was
my house, garden, and family, as I was a stay at home mom, and would not change
that, ever, as when I look back now, I see, that was a very important contribution
to my children's lives, no day care, home cooked meals everyday, lots of sports for
them, but, still, no money left for anything else.
I am older now, wiser, calmer, and yes, we are going to start doing some travelling,
first thing this fall, the train ride across canada, expensive yes, but 'one thing I want
to do before I die', and I will be able to quietly look out as I travel across our beautiful
country, and take it all in, patiently and happily.