Why don't bands sell videos?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Why don't bands, in order to tap a new stream of revenue, start selling videos of their performances? They are already on TV sometimes.

Why don't they set up a website of all the bands and the customer can pick and choose which ones they want, and the songs they want on it. It would be very simple, all the technology exists. I have my wallet ready to buy the videos I like by the bands I like.

Some of us want to see the music, not just listen to it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They already sell them to MTV and such. It may very well be part of their contract that they not release anything other than concert recordings.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Sell them to MTV. Hmm. Kinda like saying Hollywood sells movies and there's no need for selling videos, DVDs or downloads anywhere else. How did Blockbuster ever make a buck?

Who said that there was no need? I just said perhaps it's part of their contracts with the music video stations.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Check out what NIN did with their last album "Ghosts" ~ It was originally sold just on their site for various prices (Depending on what you wanted to do with the music) My girlfriend downloaded all 36 tracks for $5 plus album artwork and web banners, etc. It's now in stores to buy.

I guess Trent was a bit PO'd from an Australian record company that charged a pretty hefty price for his last album and claimed "They'll buy it no matter what the price is" and then he dropped his record companies and made this album independant. Apparently Trent "reportedly made $1.6 million in the first week." which seems as though the internet is a very good way of marketing your band then through the old fashion way with a middle man taking money out for something apparently a band can do for themselves now.

The Band I follow, The Tea Party had a lot of awsome live performances caught on cam and released their Intimate and Interactive performance at Much Music in the late 90's. The lead singer who is on his own solo thing now, Jeff Martin has released one solo album, a live DVD, and several live performances from Australia and Ireland..... and is currently working on his second album now. His last live CD he released was actually quite interesting, in that the concert was recorded from start to finish and then burned right there and handed out to the fans as they left the concert. Kinda cool to have the concert you're still at on a CD w. Album artwork and such as you leave.

It's a good and cheap way of making money, as well, it also helps bring a better perspective to the fans and new listeners as to what the band/artist can truly do during a live performance.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Why would anyone buy a music video!?!?! That's like buying a Pepsi add. Have we really become that pathetic as a consumer culture?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Why would anyone buy a music video!?!?! That's like buying a Pepsi add. Have we really become that pathetic as a consumer culture?

Well you sure have hit the nail on the head Scott. Besides, it's music. You're suppose to listen to it, not watch it. I lived the video revolution. MTV/MuchMusic. As a matter of fact I lived the birth of FM commercial radio. WPHD, Rochester, WBUF, Buffalo, Q107 and CHUMFM Toronto, there were others in this area too. The radio thing was way more exciting and actually felt genuine.
Videos were made and distributed as you say, as advertisements. Mind you some videos were well produced and art in their own right but not really the vision of the song writer. Unfortunately the videos of today are utter trash.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Depends on the type of music and the director of the music video. Most videos can either explain the story better then the lyrics (Depending on encryptic writting, etc.) or they can add to the overall expression of the song in question.

Most of the Pop videos out there are about as equal in quality as some of the music, such as punk rock crap music..... Garbage In.... Garbage Out. How many more videos do we need to see of some skinny and oily kids trying to act tough and cool in a super market, riding in shopping carts and ripping bags of chips all over the isles?

Absolute Crap and a waste of everybody's life. Yeah, you're the big rebel against the big machine alright..... probably don't even know that the Machine is.

Mommy's vibro perhaps?

But there are some really good ones out there and if you're into art and visual stimulation, it's easy to appreciate these types of videos.

Perfect example: Pink Floyd The Wall.

Yes it was a movie, bu it was also one big music video.

Commerical?

I figured it was telling a story.... much as most other music videos that have some effort into them.

R&B and Hip Hop? You bet that's commercial.... every second cut is them looking at their fancy new cell phones in neatly placed marketing positions, fancy cars, clothing..... oh and let's not forget:

Gangsta Ice Creams!!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Some people are avid fans of musical groups and they will buy anything released by them. Also, not all music videos are the equivalent of pepsi ad's. Go watch an Arcade Fire video and explain to me how it resembles a corporate ***** in any way.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Videos were made and distributed as you say, as advertisements. Mind you some videos were well produced and art in their own right but not really the vision of the song writer. Unfortunately the videos of today are utter trash.

Eh1eh, going back your logic, one should not go to a concert or watch a high def recording of a concert? The video and sound quality of a Blue Ray concert is second to none, it is quite immersive and the audio blows out anything you would hear on a CD.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Buying a video, sounds sinful to some. Yes, we're all consumers all the time in the marketplace. I think most vidoes suck but their are some classics like "I'm not gonna take it anymore" by Twisted Sister. This is great to watch. There are even some people who might buy a whole DVD/video of one song if they could. Sigh. Alas. Can't spend mah mona where ah wan'.