Info Needed: All Things Saskatoon

Kjetil

Mar 5, 2008
Vancouver, BC (for now)
So, I will be moving to Saskatoon in about two months to work and attend the University. I have been told about The West Side "Alphabet City" and heard both sides of the debate. However, what I am looking for is information on city life, specifically what you figure is best about the city. What is Saskatoon like for pubs and ethnic food? (El Salvadoran papusas are a favourite right now) Festivals? How does the booze selection compare to Vancouver or Montreal? Best places for used furniture? etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hmmm... I don't think we have a lot of people on here who are actually living in Saskatoon. A few in other areas of Saskatchewan, but, I think information to answer your question may be limited. I don't normally suggest other sites, but, you might want to see if you can find a city specific forum for Saskatoon. You'll probably get a better variety of info that way. Also, the City of Saskatoon website should be able to answer some of your questions (Chamber of Commerce business listings, etc), even if it's not from a more personal vantage point.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
So, I will be moving to Saskatoon in about two months to work and attend the University. I have been told about The West Side "Alphabet City" and heard both sides of the debate. However, what I am looking for is information on city life, specifically what you figure is best about the city. What is Saskatoon like for pubs and ethnic food? (El Salvadoran papusas are a favourite right now) Festivals? How does the booze selection compare to Vancouver or Montreal? Best places for used furniture? etc.

I am from Saskatoon and I LOVE it.
We have a lot of choices when it comes to ethnic food. If it is El Salvadoran food you are looking for you will want to try EE Burrito, service is horrible so give yourself a lot of time but the food is amazing! The Restaurant is on 22nd across from the 7/11. There is also a take out place on 8th street .
Lots of pubs around I really like the Yard and Flaggon on broadway and also O'Sheas on 2nd Ave Downtown (best poutine and chicken fingers in the world there!)
About the Booze, I have no idea, I don't drink but there are quite a few bars and pubs all over the place.
For Furniture we have the basics like the Brick (which I personally don't like) we also have some really nice ones like on Broadway beside Broadway Cafe (which is a really good place for lunch 60's diner like) There is a really nice furniture store where I got my couch that I love if you turn off cicle drive onto Faithful ave. Don't know what it's called, I am such a woman, Like you know that place around that corner behind that thingy! LOL
I really just like saskatoon, it is a big enough city to give you all the options but small enough that I can get from one side of the city to the other in 17 minutes at 8:45 am (my mornings are very specifically timed out)
There are a lot of things going on in the Summer probably no different then other cities. The Jazz festival, the Fringe, the Ex, taste of Saskatchewan, Folk fest.
Anyway if you have any more specific questions let me know!
All the best!
Haz