Does Canada have accents?

My accent isn't due so much to my geographical location but to my cleft palette/hairlip. I sound kinda like Rita McNeil with a huskier tone.
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Another Saint John Guy! Welcome.

But you haven't spent much time ion the North Shore......I used to do a weekly 2-day tour there......most people speak both English and French......but the French are not Quebecois, and didn't seem to mind at all that I spoke not a work.

The most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on, in her 20s, worked in a Caissie Populaire in a small town there. She was in management, so had some education, was friendly, and didn't speak a single word of English.

This was in 1998.

Hello Colpy! Yep, I am from Saint John. Yes, I have been to the North Shore alot. Yes, there are some great people up that way. Yes, some people up there are not bilingual, as there are in the southern province. Just look at the stats from the French Immersion Program in the province. The government is thinking about scrapping it because it just isn't working....More and more people are leaving the province because they are being forced to speak a language they do not want.......I feel bad for the unilingual French, as they do not have much of a choice to go anywhere if they cannot speak English........Look at places like St. George and St. Andrews....what is the dominate language in these areas?
Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I sound kinda like Rita McNeil with a huskier tone.

Oooh, baby...

Canada's full of regional accents. They're often not as obvious as some American regional accents, but they're certainly there. The Newfoundland lilt is pretty obvious, for instance, and has roots in medieval Irish, and I can spot a southern Ontario accent in about three words, I just have to hear a few flat, nasalized vowels. As a long-time Habs fan I also often watch hockey games on the French language channels, which always include interviews with French-speaking players at intermissions. My French isn't very good, I certainly wouldn't claim to be fluent in it, but I can spot regional French Canadian accents too. There's a very distinct French accent from the border region between north eastern Ontario and north western Quebec, an obviously very different one from the longer-settled areas along the St. Lawrence River, and yet a third from the Eastern Townships. It also shows up in the way bilingual players speak English too. And French speakers on the prairies where I live are different again.

Accents I think are produced by isolation. In the modern world of mass communications such isolation doesn't happen much anymore, in the long term all us English speakers will probably end up sounding pretty much the same, the so-called "mid-Atlantic" accent. Such accents as remain are just residues of previous isolation. I listen to BBC and CBC a lot, and my impression is that the announcers are converging toward a common pronunciation. The diversity of accents in England far exceeds anything in Canada or the United States (ever heard a Lancashire farmer talk? Barely sounds like English), but people with the more extreme accents don't get jobs as radio and tv announcers.
yeah, canadians have an accent...I hear it when I talk to my canadian friend and he rambles that most of the time the conversations go over my head...instead of talking, he's taahking! haha!