Forget crop circles - now we've got a mysterious SHEEP circle

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why did a flock of sheep form a circle in Kington, Herefordshire? Bizarrely, minutes later, sheep in a neighbouring field then did the same thing!

Forget crop circles - now we've got a mysterious SHEEP circle

25th January 2008
Daily Mail

There were strange goings on at the farm today when a flock of sheep made their own version of a crop circle.

About 100 of the woolly creatures formed an orderly ring - baffling the farmer and passers-by.

But after hearing the roar of the boss's tractor the animals scattered like a group of naughty schoolboys.

Ewe must be joking: Sheep form a perfect ring in Herefordshire in a bid to copy crop circle

Photographer Russell Bird, who captured the amazing scene, said:"I was quite taken aback. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," he said.

"I did see a dog worrying sheep nearby beforehand and the dog ran off round the hedge in a different field, so I don't know if they were discussing that."

Baa-rmy: A sheep yesterday enjoys some grass

Bizarrely, he then spotted another circle three fields away, but was unable to take a picture with both "formations" lasting around 10 minutes before dispersing.

Estate agent Mr Bird added of the scene in Kington, Herefordshire: "They moved around inside and were almost filling the gaps in.

"The only reason this circle came to an end was that the farmer came in with a tractor and some food."

Since the event he has been searching for an explanation but those experienced in working with sheep say Mr Bird could be disappointed.

Farm manager at Herefordshire College of Technology, Dan Seaborne, said: "I just think they've been fed with dry feed in that shape - you can get snacker feeders now and you tow behind a quad and it drops pellets on the ground.

"I would imagine that's what's happened."

He added: "I think there was a chap in Yorkshire who spelled out 'will you marry me' to his girlfriend in sheep by putting feed down."

dailymail.co.uk