He Got His Legs Back, No Thanks To Canada

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's a shame. RCMP generally has really good retirement benefits (my dad put in over 30 years too).

I also think it's a shame that less than 3 days in the hospital will cost $85 000.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's sick, is what this is.

If there is obviously better treatment, and it's not available here, it should be covered by our health care. We send people across the border all the time for procedures we do here, when there aren't available resources to do it. Considering what that woman in Ontario had to go through with the brain surgery and all. It's bloody sick.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's a shame. RCMP generally has really good retirement benefits (my dad put in over 30 years too).

I also think it's a shame that less than 3 days in the hospital will cost $85 000.

So you're a mounties kid Tracy, me too, my dad retired with over thirty-five years as well. It's a small but strange world isn't it.:smile::cool:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
That's a too common story these days it's not going to improve with Harper and the bankers, the same type of crap is happening all accross the land. I'm getting so sick of the way we treat people in this country, it's not the place I grew up in anymore, I want my country back.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
So you're a mounties kid Tracy, me too, my dad retired with over thirty-five years as well. It's a small but strange world isn't it.:smile::cool:

I'm a mountie's daughter, a mountie's grandaughter, a mountie's niece and now a mountie's sister... It's almost required in my family that at least one person in the family join the force:lol: No way was I going to do it, so it's a good thing my brother was interested.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wonder what the reasoning is not to cover this procedure? Doesn't make any sense if it's as successful as it seems to be.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder what the reasoning is not to cover this procedure? Doesn't make any sense if it's as successful as it seems to be.

You want to know my jaded view? They likely didn't want to do anything so cutting edge because it's viewed as wasting money trying to clear a couple pipes in a failing plumbing system. He's 65 yrs old, he suffers from circulatory disease, this won't be the last procedure like this he needs in his lifetime. If they could have gotten away with pain meds and slicing off limbs as they die, then it works out cheaper in the end, because you can only slice so much before you've either gotten rid of all the arteries small enough to clog, or you've killed the person. Compare that to 10, 15, or 20 years of upkeep with 85000 laser surgeries (because you can be guaranteed he won't want to go back to conventional treatment if they agree to pay for the laser), and laser comes out more expensive. All for someone who's no longer a contributing tax payer.

But that's just my jaded view on their reasoning today.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
You want to know my jaded view? They likely didn't want to do anything so cutting edge because it's viewed as wasting money trying to clear a couple pipes in a failing plumbing system. He's 65 yrs old, he suffers from circulatory disease, this won't be the last procedure like this he needs in his lifetime. If they could have gotten away with pain meds and slicing off limbs as they die, then it works out cheaper in the end, because you can only slice so much before you've either gotten rid of all the arteries small enough to clog, or you've killed the person. Compare that to 10, 15, or 20 years of upkeep with 85000 laser surgeries (because you can be guaranteed he won't want to go back to conventional treatment if they agree to pay for the laser), and laser comes out more expensive. All for someone who's no longer a contributing tax payer.

But that's just my jaded view on their reasoning today.

:angry3:You have got that just so right it's sickening. I think we all have to guard against becoming too jaded and negative in our outlook, but when you see people being flushed down the toilet every day, and the politicos smiling and shaking hands, and oh it's just a so wonderful world, it gets to be a tad much.

:canada:**** off Steve

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think we all have to guard against becoming too jaded and negative in our outlook....

I do have to admit, I'm in a bad mood the last couple days. I'm on handfuls of medication, and 8 hours between doses when it only numbs the pain for 5 or 6 is leaving me grumpy and angry and not sleeping right. I will revisit this article when I'm feeling better. I don't know if my view would be more optimistic, or give the docs more credit or not.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Really sucks to realize you're still expendable - even years after the cost of you was just a part of the price your country would pay to win a war. Gratitude, eh?

Woof!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I suspect it's still considered experimental. I don't know any insurance company that will cover experimental procedures down here, and I can't imagine the Canadian system would be any different. Think about it from their point of view. Had it not worked and they payed for it, the public would be saying that 85K was wasted on some old man for some pipe dream treatment that doesn't even produce results.

A girl's insurance company down here recently declined to cover the costs for a liver transplant because the chance of her surviving 6 months after it according to docs was only 65%. She was already in a vegetative state. There were protests and the company changed their mind, but the girl died anyways. Healthcare costs are weighed against the potential benefits...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...yet they'll spend a hundred million to four-lane a highway through pure rock because people are too stupid to slow down. Guess when they're behind a steering wheel, people's lives are worth more....

Woof!

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You know Karrie, Im gonna guess your 100% right.

The thing we have to ask ourselves, is , is that a bad thing? I have heard it said that people spend more on health care in the last 2 months of their lives than they do in the rest of it combined.

No matter how rich a country we are, we aren't limitless in resources and many children could use the money more.

Maybe we should ask ourselves why we fear death so much that we spend so much trying to cheat it for just a short while longer.

A surgery like this I can support, he gets to leave the hospital and hopefully live a few years more. But often medical treatments are shoved around when you know the person isn't leaving the hospital alive again.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
:angry3:You have got that just so right it's sickening. I think we all have to guard against becoming too jaded and negative in our outlook, but when you see people being flushed down the toilet every day, and the politicos smiling and shaking hands, and oh it's just a so wonderful world, it gets to be a tad much.

:canada:**** off Steve
What about the Newfie Preem?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
That's a too common story these days it's not going to improve with Harper and the bankers, the same type of crap is happening all accross the land. I'm getting so sick of the way we treat people in this country, it's not the place I grew up in anymore, I want my country back.
Harper has nothing to do with it. It's a provincial matter. Check the constitution.