The Negative Voice Within Us

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
According to some in the know, each of has about 90,000 different thoughts every day and about 85% of them are negative.

One psychologist that I know said it is human nature to think and mentally prepare for the worst. People don't want to be 100% certain of a positive outcome then be dealt a negative, fearing that would feel worse than being primed for letdown.

The inner voice is constantly creating roadblocks for us. It talks us out of picking up the phone to make a sales call. It explains all of the potential disasters related to speaking in public. It analyzes every situation and puts its own spin on things, changing our perception of events and people.

Can anyone relate to that? I sure can.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd have to say that for me it's fairly 50/50.... the negative voice giving potential pitfalls, the positive voice trying to find ways around them, make things run as smoothly as possible, problem solve. One without the other is what drives people insane. lol.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
85%, huh? There's a thinker. I'd put myself more in the 60% range. I suppose this statistic is spread out amongst a control group.

I will say though that I have to actively practice pronoia, which is the opposite of paranoia. It doesn't come natural. One needs be proactive.

I'm jumping into this thread because I am very curious to hear from the people who will claim a much lower rate, due to their, dare I say it, religion.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hermite, your inner voice would be at work preparing for the religion group.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
I listen to the voice that says "don't care" most of the time. You know, the one that speaks loudest when the voice of reason says, "don't do it. There will be consequences."

The voice that says "don't care" manifests itself in almost every aspect of my life. Whether it be passing on something that is generally perceived good, like sex, for example, or proceeding with something despite warnings of dire consequences. The "don't care" voice is the one that tells me that I don't have to do things that others enjoy simply because they enjoy them. The "don't care" voice is the one that most thoroughly helps me establish my identity.

Some would say that my attitude is more akin to being emotionally numb, but I think the opposite is true. I think that being comfortable with yourself, your ideals, and your pleasures speaks more truly of your heightened awareness and vitality.

I'm not willing to be anyone other than myself. And the voice that responds to critics of that view, is the one that says, "don't care."

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
Wow. Awesome answer there, ww. From the heart. I wish you blessings.

I have wished for years to feel, "I don't care." . But I just can't do it. For some crazy reason, I continue to care. Which leads to worry. And, thus, the 85% statement.

Got a link for that article, by the way? "They say" is so Faux News,

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
Hermite, your inner voice would be at work preparing for the religion group.

I am new here so I don't quite understand what you are saying. I DO have an inner voice but I don't know the religion group of which you speak. I do participate in other forums but always avoid the religion groups. Too much anger there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peas on earth, goodwill to all.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hey Hermite, nothing meant by it. I was just speculating that the voice within was anticipating a negative from the religious crowd.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I think we're all susceptible to the power of negative thought. I'm surprised at that 85% stat though - it seems to me that these things tend to go in spurts. A rough patch in life will often trigger further negative thoughts about all kinds of other situations in life. When something positive happens though, it seems to make everything else seem much better too.

Maybe that's just me?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Zan, I think it depends on what you classify as a 'negative' thought. I'm assuming they lump in the daily worries about kids getting hurt, how you should sand the walk or risk slipping and falling, not speeding because you could die in a wreck... stuff like that. To me those aren't necessarily 'negative' thoughts though, merely survival tactics. :smile:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Negatives can be in smaller degrees. Has anyone ever made sales calls? Call reluctance is a huge element for nearly every salesperson. It's often considered "stress" but the stress is the little voice continually telling you reasons not to pick up the phone. Or it could be not wanting to go into the store because your hair isn't brushed. Or wondering what people will think because you have the coffee stain on your shirt. Or concerned what the boss will think because you didn't do this or that. Or worried you may have forgotten something even though you're not sure what. Or what happens if you ask the person for a date and they laugh in your face. Or you hate going into the car repair shop because you think you might be intimidated into paying for things you don't need. Or you hate going to socials because you always forget names and are afraid to be in that situation. Or you wonder if you're dressed appropriately for your meeting. What if...etc etc

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"happens if you ask the person for a date and they laugh in your face." Quoting the big K.

:smile: Despite my good looks, hi IQ and hot bod, that usta happen so often I got married.

Figured, hey, she thinks I'm kinda ok, why not................:lol::lol::lol:

Like I wasn't doing a whole lot of anything important anyway......:roll:

God, she's a lucky girl

:read2:(You realize of course, Nug, she reads this and you are just so dead...........just so dead)