So mad, I could eat glass right now...

Tonington
I've about had it up to here(up to my ears) with the National Student loan center. This year has been perhaps the worst yet. In the past I've had a number of issues, but this year it's been one thing after another.

It started when somehow my password was changed. On top of that, the security question was also different, and I had no way to apply for a new loan this year. I was working in Calgary when the loans became available, and when I tried to get the password fixed, I was told that I would have to call whatever division it is that is responsible for changing the password. Ok, I'm a little pissed.

They tell me that the password office is only open from 8-10 Atlantic time, as I'm a NS student. So that means I can call between 5 and 7am in Calgary. I woke up every morning at 6, made my lunch and was out the door by 6:20. Even at that time in the morning it took nearly 30-40 minutes to get to the worksites....So I decided I would wait until I was finished work and back in Nova Scotia. I had made enough money that the delay wouldn't bother me at all.

When I get back here, I find out that my other lending institution, TD, has given me $10,000 more on my line of credit. They don't give it to you obviously, just increase my limit. So at this point I'm thinking, screw the student loans. I have enough to pay for the whole year, why bother.

Then I forgot about the confirmation of enrollment you get with every new loan. On top of that, they somehow changed my address back to my mother's house. So she calls me up the beginning of October and tells me I have until the first of November to send off a confirmation of enrollment to both the National Student Loan Center, and to the Department of Education here in Nova Scotia, or I will get interest payments added to the balances. Fine, I do that about middle of October or there abouts. I got the fax numbers from the financial office, filled out my schedule two, gave the registrar the completed form plus both fax numbers as well as mailing addresses.

Now, just 5 minutes before I started writing this, I get a call. It's the National Student Loan Center. First I have to get them to change my mailing address back to what I had them change it to last year. That was about 5 minutes of excruciating brain piercing stupidity. She must have liked the sound of my voice, I had to spell everything out to her 3 times. How the **** do you think Pleasant street is spelled?

Then she informs me that there is an interest charge being added to my loan. By this point I knew it was coming, just had that feeling in my bones. I tell her, well I sent the schedule 2 about a month ago now. She asks me what number I faxed it to, I tell her I don't have it. That I picked the numbers up at my financial office, and then gave the note to the lady in the Registrar's office. She then asks me three more times for the same goddamned number. I tell her two more times, and the last time I'm about to tell her she remembers that we've been down this road a couple times already. So she gives me the number, I''m pretty sure it's the same one, and tells me to go do the whole thing all over again. She informs me that my account has now been adjusted to show the interest added. Asks me something like do I understand. Of course I understand, I'm getting ****** over, and I have to go repeat what I did last month. Theres nothing I can do about it is there? Well no...I can give you the number to our main call center.

Yah, I know where this goes. I'm gonna call probably three more times before anything gets fixed. I'll have to explain the same F'n thing three more F'n times....

I had to rant just now. If I had a punching bag in here I'd be going to town on it right now.....

vintagevince
Tell me about it man, they over paid my sister for her last term, and now she has to pay that money before she can get another loan...

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by vintagevinceView Post

Tell me about it man, they over paid my sister for her last term, and now she has to pay that money before she can get another loan...

That happened to me about 3 years ago now.... I hate them with a mind numbing passion.

karrie
geez Tonington. that's ridiculous.

Wish there was a way to help. But, since there's not, vent away!

(and no eating glass k?)

Tonington
No, I won't eat glass, but jebus feist...

I'm too angry to call them right now. All theyd get are inaudible noises with random expletives. My hands are actually shaking with rage right now. Been a while since I've been this heated...

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

No, I won't eat glass, but jebus feist...

I'm too angry to call them right now. All theyd get are inaudible noises with random expletives. My hands are actually shaking with rage right now. Been a while since I've been this heated...

I get that way over the telus bills that keep coming for my place in BC. lol.

Tonington
I got out my schedule two, sure enough the fourth copy (pink) was torn out by the registrar. Now I just have to calm down and then call up the head office...

karrie
paperwork and bureaucracy... they're the REAL reason our children will live shorter lives... because they'll all drop dead of ulcers before they make it out of school.

lone wolf
Ton, they don't get any brighter as time goes on. A year ago I received notice about my unpaid student loans. Odd thing is ... the debt was forgiven by reason of disability in 1999. Maybe someone was clearing out old files or something. Who knows? Who cares? The collections harassment dancefloor sounds like a great place to scatter some of your recycled glass....

Woof!

Tonington
The matter is only made worse by two different levels of government. Double taxation is bad, double sided red tape is worse...I did just call. Though I may have a beef with the people in the registrars office. I can only imagine how bad it must be for self-employed Canadians, gahhh!

Philo Cojones
Quote: Originally Posted by vintagevinceView Post

Why did she spend it?

in any case, the student loan system is a necessary evil. I was working in my first year of school, and was told to quit my job... it would lead to more bucks to actually cover tuition, etc.... i went along with it as i disliked my job. a week later, i find out that my tuition has not been paid because my loan was re-adjusted. I spent a month pleading not to be kicked out while at the same time demanding my tuition be paid. it was quite the hassle.

it all worked out. and i don't complain about it much.... at least we have a loan system, oui?

that's not to say it couldn't be made more efficient... but the same could be said about any organization really...

Tonington
Never had a problem with TD. They give me money willingly, they get interest payments every month. That's the one thing I like about student loans. They normally don't make you pay interest. The downside to student loans is that when there is a mess-up, it's a real pain in the butt to fix.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I've about had it up to here(up to my ears) with the National Student loan center. This year has been perhaps the worst yet. In the past I've had a number of issues, but this year it's been one thing after another.
It started when somehow my password was changed. On top of that, the security question was also different, and I had no way to apply for a new loan this year. I was working in Calgary when the loans became available, and when I tried to get the password fixed, I was told that I would have to call whatever division it is that is responsible for changing the password. Ok, I'm a little pissed.
They tell me that the password office is only open from 8-10 Atlantic time, as I'm a NS student. So that means I can call between 5 and 7am in Calgary. I woke up every morning at 6, made my lunch and was out the door by 6:20. Even at that time in the morning it took nearly 30-40 minutes to get to the worksites....So I decided I would wait until I was finished work and back in Nova Scotia. I had made enough money that the delay wouldn't bother me at all.
When I get back here, I find out that my other lending institution, TD, has given me $10,000 more on my line of credit. They don't give it to you obviously, just increase my limit. So at this point I'm thinking, screw the student loans. I have enough to pay for the whole year, why bother.
Then I forgot about the confirmation of enrollment you get with every new...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Oh.....the flash backs!!!

When i was in my second year of college, some type of 'glich' caused EVERY ONE'S loans to be a few hundred dollars instead of thousands. By the time this was corrected, everything had to be re-done causing the loan payments to be LATE.....like the end of October late. So, you either recived $300 dollars or nothing until late into the semester. That's just one of my stories.

Tonington
Oh my, that would certainly suck. Must have been really horrible to get nothing at all. Buy textbooks, or buy food...