How's your relationship with your computer?

Zan
Seems many of us can get a l'il emotional about our computers.......

Itís the relationship you spend more time on than any other. It has deepened even during the past few years. When things go wrong, you become enraged and tearful and attack inanimate objects ó but youíre willing to spend hours making things right.

When confronted with a dead computer, 19 percent admitted to wanting to hurl it out the nearest window, 9 percent felt stranded and alone, 11 percent used language normally reserved for special occasions, 7 percent did so loudly, 3 percent did so tearfully and 3 percent additionally vented their wrath on inanimate objects. (They were not asked about animate targets ó it was a survey, not a police blotter.) Full Story Here (external - login to view)

Kreskin
Mine knows better than to tick me off too much.

Sal
Quote:

When confronted with a dead computer,

I pretty much fit all categories simultaneously.

triedit
I am happier with my current computer than I have been with anything living or inanimate in my whole life. Sad as it may seem, it does everything I ask it to, usually without reminder or nagging and it never talks back.

Media Center ROCKS!

eh1eh
I've reloaded windows more times then I can remember so a dead computer is easy.It it's the little problems that get me. Right now I have no sound because my sound card driver causes a fatal error and my comp spontaniously restarts. Very annoying. I'm going to try a different card. Meanwhile I've spent lots of time getting updates of the software and redoing stuff I've lost.

Locutus
I've gotta get me some of new fangled sound. I've been running a Flintstone 400Mhz for a coon's age.

p.s. I must have missed Canucklehead becoming a mod. I don't get the newsletter. So I say, bravo!

Kreskin
He's been mod since before your Flintstone

He walks softly but carries a big stick. He's like the team bouncer.

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

p.s. I must have missed Canucklehead becoming a mod. I don't get the newsletter. So I say, bravo!

Good grief, another one? How many mods does it take to....there's a joke in there somewhere.....

Canucklehead
lol I have been a mod since ummm December 16th 2005, just a wee bit on the absent side lately

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by CanuckleheadView Post

lol I have been a mod since ummm December 16th 2005, just a wee bit on the absent side lately

Down boy down!

Canucklehead
?woof?

Locutus

Well I'm a bonehead then because I never saw green on ya before

Kreskin

?woof?

You're gonna scare the crap out of everyone.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

You're gonna scare the crap out of everyone.

Ya, a barking otter. Scary.

Canucklehead
As for my relationship with my computer...well.. what can I say but....

that is really none of yer damned business!!! nosy nosy people!

pardon the abruptness but we are going through a rough period right now LOL

Kreskin
Are you and the PC going for counselling?

triedit
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Are you and the PC going for counselling?

Where would you go for that, the Geek Squad?

Canucklehead
The counselling was on the table until the threat of a salt water bath surfaced

lone wolf
Does user-friendly mean you can pick it up and throw it out a window?

Wolf

Kreskin
That's why they invented laptops Wolf.

hermanntrude
I am hopelessly in love with my computer. I created it from parts, admittedly assembled by a professional, upgraded it a few times, carried it across the atlantic and a large part of canada, up to the far north of alberta and back down again. If it ever dies on me it'll be hard to take. I think it's got quite a long life in it...

karrie
My laptop has been sick.... starting to sputter and die.

It's so unhealthy these days, that I've had to turn to my PC to meet my computing needs.

It's stressed our relationship very severely. I just don't know if we'll make it through this.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

My laptop has been sick.... starting to sputter and die.

It's so unhealthy these days, that I've had to turn to my PC to meet my computing needs.

It's stressed our relationship very severely. I just don't know if we'll make it through this.

uninstall some things. The more programs installed on a computer the more unstable it gets

karrie
I've barely got anything on it. It just loses communication with the harddrive every so often.

It doesn't seem to matter what I've got going on it.

hermanntrude
dodgy hard drive?

karrie
apparently. we've fussed and frigged around for months trying to 'fix' the damn thing. Cleaned and purged and defragged and scanned and everything else we could think. My IT guy can't find anything wrong... the only time anything is wrong is when it cuts out. and like a car acting up, it won't do it when anyone who should be looking is.

lone wolf
Reformat would fix mine ... but I don't want to lose my tunes 'n' vids ... and ol' FRED hasn't got a burner. What it does need is the Futureshop fixit to do anything.

Wolf

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

apparently. we've fussed and frigged around for months trying to 'fix' the damn thing. Cleaned and purged and defragged and scanned and everything else we could think. My IT guy can't find anything wrong... the only time anything is wrong is when it cuts out. and like a car acting up, it won't do it when anyone who should be looking is.

buy a new hard drive.

triedit
Wolf--consider an external burner. They're not that expensive, plug in to a USB and are awfully darned handy. If you lived closer I'd loan you mine....

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

buy a new hard drive.

I'm cheap. I will when this one finally kicks it for real.