Amazing! Wild polar bear and Husky at Play

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
No problem...I was so excited when I saw this...could hardly wait to post it...It's way too amazing even for words...

4 months no food...need for food being the ultimate instinct beyond control... and yet..they play. Brings a tear to my eye and hope to my heart...I'm going to watch it again...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My only question is... who was monitoring if the bear had eaten or not? That seems like a wild assumption to me. Awesome regardless, but he didn't look like a hungry bear.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Several years ago I watched a nature special about wolves on PBS. In one segment, wolves were shown playing with domestic dogs. In the next instance, the domestics were killed and eaten by the wolves. It turned out that play is used by some wild animals to lure domestic animals to their peril.

This could well have happened here.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My only question is... who was monitoring if the bear had eaten or not? That seems like a wild assumption to me. Awesome regardless, but he didn't look like a hungry bear.
They know the bear hasn't eaten in 4 months because of the time of year. Churchill polar bears have been studied at great length because they are easiest to reach.

Yes, except that this has happened a number of times before with the Churchill polar bears. The difference here is that polar bears don't hunt in packs, don't need to lure. Bears are not known for their patients and control. If this bear was going to eat the dog (and polar bears do eat dogs) it would have simply done so right then and there.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
They mentioned that the pack ice had not formed yet so the bear hasn't been eating seals as polar bears are apt to do. Pretty clean to be a dump bear too.
Sometimes animals are just feeling good and when that gets through in communication, there is a chance for buddies in the sandbox.

I would suggest though that there is a growing likelihood of the bear having had some previous contact with people and most likely sled dogs. So that may be a factor though that is speculation on my part.

They sure look cute though.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Uniforgiven, they did mention that these bears have done this before...play with the sled dogs...but only these bears...bears further north kill the dogs when they come across them. Tied up they have no where to go and can't form a pack to protect themselves...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Just wanted to pump this up so other could see this if they missed it...too amazing to miss

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
Hopefully it is not a Marlin Perkins/David Suzuki Wild Kingdom/Nature of Things moment.

If it's real, and hopefully it is, it's wonderful

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
I worked for 42 years with the Forestry Service and I did have opportunity to see grizzlies play with wolves, black bears play with cats, a large mountain lion pickup and move a warren of young rabbits who were freezing to death and also one night at my residnece I saw a mountain lion mother with cubs at my door. It was bitterly cold and she looked like she was asking for help. I opened the door, they came in and laid down in front of the wood stove and i went a got a heavy comforter and placed in on the wood floor. they all moved to it. I had to feed the fire twice bvefore I turned in and I thought about a tool room I had connected to the cabin. I opend the door and turned on the light and then went upstairs. In the morning the mother had moved the cubs and the comforter on the floor into that room. I had to go to work and I did leave a metal baking pan out on the floor with venision on it. When I returned at noon and opened the door I could tell she was ready to go so I left the door ajar and she took them and left. Two nights later she was back. I later found out the temps. had set a new low record for the area and the snow crust had frozen and she just had all she could do to keep her young warm and protected and little time if any to find decent shelter. The following summer I came home from a fire and she was asleep on the porch and the young were in the adjacent meadow. I just left her and the family alone and they never seemed to feel threatened either. This was above the Swan Valley in Montana. I think animals are much more tuned into to humans and other animals than we give them credit for. This is unusual but not unheard of.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Norm, thank you sooooo much for sharing those stories! Amazing! I watched a documentary on a female lion who'd taken a gazelle and was trying to mother it. Unfortunatley the gazelle died from starvation as she was too young to be away from her mom.

I think our brain fuzz/auro's confuse them sometimes, but when one is calm, animals are able to read us better or get a clear picture of our intent.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Twila and Norm, thank you. I enjoyed the photos and and the stories.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Several years ago I watched a nature special about wolves on PBS. In one segment, wolves were shown playing with domestic dogs. In the next instance, the domestics were killed and eaten by the wolves. It turned out that play is used by some wild animals to lure domestic animals to their peril.

That has happened around our area. One lured a dog out of the yard and into an ambush.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
One thing I did find out in my long rewarding out door career is that the animals have and live by theior own codwes and we never seem to want to really study those and see what really motivates them. just ahwead of wild fires I'd see all types of wild life, even supposed natural enemies on the run just to get to a point of safety. The sankes would find burrows and maybe some burrowing rodents too but for the rest the big item was survival. I've seen eagles fishing on Flathaed Lake and get a fish too large to big out of the water. The bird would just use his wings spread out for some bouyancy and also as a propulsion system to get to shore with the prey. The other animals and even the birds of prey would respect that time and leave the over burdened bird alone. Look at the mothering instincts some zoo confined animals have. I've seen a mourning mother Tiger take on a litter of piglets who all had one thing in common. They shared the loss of a mother or a litter of kittens. It sure is a win/win when that happens. Isn't mother nature awesome? It s too bad mankind can't recognize this trait.

Iamyaya

May 28, 2007
On several occasions at night I've seen a fox play with the cats down the road from me right in the middle of the road. I drive very slowly and they move over to the side and wait for me to pass. Two of the cats are orange, almost the same colour as the fox.
A bear ran down the hill and ran right into and bent the steel fence post where I keep my horses. I think the bear was running too fast to see the electric wire. My horses took off. They didn't want to play I guess.
Deer have gotten in with the horses but the horses chase them away. I guess horses don't like sharing their food.