School 1977 and School 2007

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

[FONT=&quot]SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007[/FONT]
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1977 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack’s shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the RCMP are called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal’s office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra provincial funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1977 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1977 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro’s cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Canadian Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against provincial school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Canada Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1977 - Ants die.
2007 – Canadian Firearms Centre and the RCMP are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. CSIS investigates parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny’s dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Reactions: Zzarchov

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Interesting reflection on how presumably politically correct we think we are.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
OOohh, the last one made me think of what keeps happening to my son.

They have a merry-go-round thing at school, and to prevent injury, they have the new rubberized playing surface, so that if kids land on it, it cushions enough to prevent concussions or broken bones.
My son has come home three times now, in pain, trying to keep his pants off his own bum, because he's gone flying backwards off the merry-go-round, skidded across the rubberized surface, and gotten rubber transfer burns across his backside where his pants slide down as he skids across. They're horrific, and no one at school can do anything to help him with them, because they'd be touching his bum. It's driving me bonkers! Plus, because of the rubberized surface, he ends up, seriously, with a rubber coating over it, so trying to clean it out, put polysporin etc, is next to impossible, and you can't just scrub rubber out of a friction burn. I'd prefer good old fashioned asphalt to this stuff!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Nah, engineer a surface which excretes a mucous like substance on contact. The kid will slide into a soft cushioned barrier, and smell like fish slime to boot! lol

I prefer concrete and ashphalt too Karrie, that's how kids learn limitations. You should see all the lessons my body has learned ;)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol. Well, you know what, yeah, it is when first aid is needed. There are 10 women in the front office. Why can't three or four women put a bandage on a kid (witnesses are a great thing to avoid suspicion of impropriety)? Or have the presence of mind to PHONE MOM to come and bandage the poor little bugger up?

Beaver, we're not talking a tiny scratch here... we're talking a burn as big as the palm of my hand. To ignore a medical problem THAT major because it's on a bum is just stupid.

What's needed is a professionall authorized bum touching revival.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
lol. Well, you know what, yeah, it is when first aid is needed. There are 10 women in the front office. Why can't three or four women put a bandage on a kid (witnesses are a great thing to avoid suspicion of impropriety)? Or have the presence of mind to PHONE MOM to come and bandage the poor little bugger up?

Beaver, we're not talking a tiny scratch here... we're talking a burn as big as the palm of my hand. To ignore a medical problem THAT major because it's on a bum is just stupid.

I understand completely. However, we must consider the childs moral education.
If four women were to intervene as you have suggested it could be misconscrued as organized systemic abuse. Insurance concerns increasingly caution against proceedures previously thought benign. No I'am afraid from a modern cost/benifit perspective the matter has in your case been most efficiently handled, or rather not handled.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Can you imagine getting shot in the arse, walking into a hospital, and the docs looking at you and saying, "no, sorry sir, we don't touch bums." lol.

I understand completely. However, we must consider the childs moral education.
If four women were to intervene as you have suggested it could be misconscrued as organized systemic abuse. Insurance concerns increasingly caution against proceedures previously thought benign. No I'am afraid from a modern cost/benifit perspective the matter has in your case been most efficiently handled, or rather not handled.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

[FONT=&quot]SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007[/FONT]
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1977 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack’s shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the RCMP are called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal’s office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra provincial funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1977 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1977 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro’s cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Canadian Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against provincial school system and Pedro’s English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Canada Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1977 - Ants die.
2007 – Canadian Firearms Centre and the RCMP are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. CSIS investigates parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny’s dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

All far too true, and I should know, as I am of an age that saw me in high school in the early 70s, and I went and got a B.A. and B.Ed. at the age of 35 to start teaching in the early 90s..........I taught for 7 years, and hated it. I don't do that anymore.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
However, we must consider the childs moral education.
If four women were to intervene as you have suggested it could be misconscrued as organized systemic abuse.

I wonder if anyone has consulted a child about what message they receive when their wounds are not taken care of? Or what message they receive when an adult shows they not only care but are willing to take care of it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I wonder if anyone has consulted a child about what message they receive when their wounds are not taken care of? Or what message they receive when an adult shows they not only care but are willing to take care of it.

I suppose you think that the child is the issue here. Nothing could be further from the case. What we're talking about here is the economy. Every action or inaction must be costed. How would that act of child care be paid for? If you think we can continue to spend lavishly with care and affection under the umbrella of a healthy nurturing environment without economic repercussions then you are mistaken. It's exactly the soft liberal pinko thinking you suggest as a cure for humanitys woes that have led us to our present fiscle imballance.:lol:

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
All far too true, and I should know, as I am of an age that saw me in high school in the early 70s, and I went and got a B.A. and B.Ed. at the age of 35 to start teaching in the early 90s..........I taught for 7 years, and hated it. I don't do that anymore.

I commend you for surviving 7 years. I'm curious ... what about it made you want to get out, and did you find a second career that related to teaching? (I know, slightly off topic, but a quick response won't side track the thread).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

"Ew... I'm not touching you there..."

Yeah, that must be better for the psyche, right? lol.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006

My son crashed on the playground a couple of years ago and I didn't find out until I picked him up at the end of the day. He had dried blood trails all down his leg and I could see, at a glance, that it was no ordinary cut. He required several stitches. The cut was not even cleaned - just a bandaid to hide the damage. The doctor was digging gravel out of the wound before stitching.

The message he got was that there was no reason to properly care for injuries, and "not in my job description" applies to teachers.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The message he got was that there was no reason to properly care for injuries, and "not in my job description" applies to teachers.

A woman I know once got a call.... "You're daughter won't stop complaining about a head ache, come and pick her up if you want."

She got to the school, and they said "She fell and bumped her head, and won't stop complaining... she's really playing it up."

She got to the office, took one look at her daughter, and phoned an ambulance. Her one eye was completely crooked, her pupils were unequal, and she couldn't speak a straight sentence. She had a fractured skull from falling onto a concrete planter.

The school was sued, not for money, but for enforced first aid training. It was a HUGE deal in the town. And highly representative of how it goes at all schools it seems.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
suppose you think that the child is the issue here. Nothing could be further from the case. What we're talking about here is the economy. Every action or inaction must be costed. How would that act of child care be paid for? If you think we can continue to spend lavishly with care and affection under the umbrella of a healthy nurturing environment without economic repercussions then you are mistaken. It's exactly the soft liberal pinko thinking you suggest as a cure for humanitys woes that have led us to our present fiscle imballance.

Dark, you should know I live in an idealistic world...when it comes to children and animals I will carry on the good fight and I will struggle against greed and corruption. I know the realities I just don't have to play that game.
It's sucks, that game. Greed causes nothing but pain, anguish, stress, and feelings of inadequacy. Animals and small children, on the other hand cause smiles, joy, fits of giggles, lower blood pressure, and feelings of being accepted. hmmm, the scales seem weighted to one side, don't they?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Johnny gets brutally buggered by a classmate

1977: no-one does anything at all because one doesn't speak of such things and the school doesn't want anyone to know about it anyway. Anyhow, Johnny should learn to fight off people like that... maybe he's gay
2007: johnny has a counsellor he can approach, charges can be made and johnny can move schools if he needs to. Johnny's parents are aware of the trouble and can help him get through the emotional trauma

Jimmy blows his face off trying to pull the ants-nest trick

1977: Jimmy bleeds to death
2007: Jimmy is taken into the first-aid area where trained members of staff give him emergency first aid and call an ambulance. Jimmy gets better in hospital thanks to some high-tech skin grafts

Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and gets beaten by his father

1977: billy develops a deep hatred for his father and all authority figures. Gets frustrated at school and drops out, ends up in prison because he lashed out at a policeman
2007: Billy knows that what his father did was wrong, reports him and lives happily with his mother, who doesn't beat him. He is still made to pay for the car window

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hey, the other side! Good turn around Herman...Sometimes the bad is easier to remember...not the good.

So the moral of the story is balance...balance and moderation in ALL things