I've Learned that I am Not Capable of Doing....

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
the same things I did as a child with no repercussions. From the logical stand point I kind of knew this already...

What came as a shock was the severity of the repercussion! I also learned that I'd forgotten an awful lot and that coordination is taken for granted when you're a child.

I wanted to go horseback riding so I found a lovely ranch with really friendly people and took my first lesson as an adult!

1 hr lesson, 1 hr trail ride. A lot of fun. I haven't been riding since my early 20's.

Yesterday I became aware of the full severity of repercussions for believing that I could do exactly as I did as a child. The outside of my calf, the back of my legs and my ass muscles are protesting vehemently to this treatment. I work out 5 days a week. Lift weights. I do the exercises that should have prepared my body for this.

Turns out that the only exercise that can prepare you for horseback riding is the act of horseback riding.

I also learned how uncoordinated I've become. As a child I use to ride all the time. It came second nature. I've never fallen, but I have been thrown. It was a rather sad realization this uncoordination thing.

This is one aspect of getting older I dislike...

Reactions: Cosmo

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Did you have one of those polite ponies who'll let you go over the fence first?

I've had those...but I'm such an animal lover that when I went over the fence I landed on my feet still holding the reins so the horse wouldn't run away and get hurt. A bit of a shock for myself, the horse and my instructor at that time. If that were that same thing were to happen now I'd end up face first on the other side of the fence holding only a glump of dirt!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Karrie, that machine is hilarious! looks like it might be handy for some things but not for the legs...nothing to grip!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When I was growing up, we had these two ornery ponies. Horrible little beasts. We had to be johnny on the spot when riding, because they'd try all sorts of little tricks, like rubbing us off on the barbed wire fences and such. Yet, the only time I ever fell off was when a dog startled my pony, and it quickly moved to the left, while I stayed where I was. I was probably a 5 minute ride from the house when it happened, and my sister took off for help. I didn't wake up until my dad was picking me up off the ground and putting me into the pickup.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, that machine is hilarious! looks like it might be handy for some things but not for the legs...nothing to grip!

you grip along the white base with your legs. Having no stirrups is half the point, so that you have to really squeeze your thighs to keep your legs in place.

Seriously, I dare you to go find a shop that carries them and try one out in the show room.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Seriously, I dare you to go find a shop that carries them and try one out in the show room.

yeah, maybe next week. Definately not this week! This morning I was back to the work out and while trying to do an inside leg squeeze I couldn't get my leg of the floor! Nada, no movement...I don't think I could hold a pillow between my legs while lying down on my side right now!

The girl in the instruction video looked like she was just sitting there. I think I'll stick with the real deal...way funner anyway...Is funner a word?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, the reason I posted it is that personally, if I were into the occasional horseback ride, I'd definitely invest in this thing for while in front of the tv, etc. That way you don't pay for a week when you make it out onto an actual horse. It's hard if you don't own your own horses, to make it out often enough to keep those muscle groups truly in good enough shape. And it's largely core muscle weakness that leads to that uncoordination you were talking about.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Twila.

I hope you have someone to rub your muscles. I have a simalar probem now whenever I try doing one of the projects around the house I used to do, like build something. You can really tell what muscles you haven't used for so long after that. Whatever you do don't try a cartwheel. ;-)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Whatever you do don't try a cartwheel.

hmmm, I think I may have to try...when I can actually cross my legs without using my arm to hoist a leg up...and when I can walk a normal speed without grimacing...then..by gum I'm going to do a cartwhell.

I'll take a pic of the black eye and broken nose and post it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I remember being young and being able to drink until closing going home getting a couple of hours sleep and heading to work.

Now? I need a weekend to recover from 4 smirnoff

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I remember being young and being able to drink until closing going home getting a couple of hours sleep and heading to work.

Now? I need a weekend to recover from 4 smirnoff

Second that... I went downtown on the weekend, swilling it up, was hurting all Sunday and Monday. I HATE YOU MOOSEHEAD!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
hmmm, I think I may have to try...when I can actually cross my legs without using my arm to hoist a leg up...and when I can walk a normal speed without grimacing...then..by gum I'm going to do a cartwhell.

I'll take a pic of the black eye and broken nose and post it.

There's the potential groin injury too. Although I'm sure I won't get a pic of that.:-(

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There's the potential groin injury too. Although I'm sure I won't get a pic of that.

Should a groin injury happen I will definately take a picture of that too...but you're going to be disappointed.