Customs and Canadian Border Question....

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
I have been to Windsor, Canada 3 times. March and May of the latest. All I was required to bring was my birth certificate and my social security card. I was wondering if they changed the laws in the past 4 months where I cant brring those 2 things anymore and I need a passport only? I made reservatioins there already and I cannot get a passport within the next 3weeks. I looked on the Canadian Border Services Agency(CBSA) website and it states:
------When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID.

But at the bottom of the site it says last modified in December 2006. I also called the (CBSA) and the computerized recording states that a passport is required OR other acceptable forms of identification. My friends all tell me Starting in JULY 2007 they require ONLY PASSPORT to be able to enter. I tried talking to an OPERATOR at that number but was on hold 20 mins before i hung up. If anybody here could be of help id GREATLY appreciate it. I dont wanna drive 4 Hours from Chicago to get there to have to be sent back. Thank you.

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
Uhm.

I heard that Jan 1st 08 is when the passport thing was manditory when i first went in March. But as of recently people have been telling me it was July 07. Im just trying to figure out a definte answer if anybody could be kind enuff to help me.

Thank you for your response, I will be able to sleep A BIT easier tonight.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I don't think you'll need a passport to get into Canada, but soon you'll need one to get back into the U.S. You already technically need a passport to enter the U.S. by air, but they instituted a grace period because so many people were having trouble getting a passport in time.

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
So how certain are you that If im driving from Chicago TO Canada like I have twice this year ill be okay at the border if i show them birth cert and social security card like last time. I swear I hope its 2008 when they started that because yah. It would take AT LEAST 9 weeks to get a passport when i got hotel reservations in 4.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Nikile

You have been given good advice - Next January 2008 will be the final date for auto travel.

I love the way government issue these dire warnings and change them with no explanation - and aren't readily available to answer questions.

Check with your local Congressman's (woman's) office if talking to a live person will give you assurance..... or.... e-mails if you prefer - this way you will have it in writing.

Another source of information is any U.S. Consulate office - they are listed in your phone book.

If you are going to travel on a regular basis, you will have to invest in a Passport and because the waiting time is astronomical - I would take care of it soon.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
try to get a visa and THEN tell me about expensive and inconvenient.

Also try travelling anywhere else without a passport and tell me about expensive and inconvenient

triedit

inimitable
Granted. But most Americans don't travel outside the US. Heck most CANADIANS don't travel outside Canada except to the US. You have to have a driver's license and birth certificate for other things as well, so those costs seem to be more "worth it".

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
Nikile

You have been given good advice - Next January 2008 will be the final date for auto travel.

I love the way government issue these dire warnings and change them with no explanation - and aren't readily available to answer questions.

Check with your local Congressman's (woman's) office if talking to a live person will give you assurance..... or.... e-mails if you prefer - this way you will have it in writing.

Another source of information is any U.S. Consulate office - they are listed in your phone book.

If you are going to travel on a regular basis, you will have to invest in a Passport and because the waiting time is astronomical - I would take care of it soon.

Thank you very much. Thats a BIG sigh of relief. Im glad i thought to come on a message board like this. Thank you!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
maybe "most" don't, but those who DO shouldn't complain about having to get a passport.

If you're going to travel, the first thing you need to get is a passport, then a ticket, then reservations and luggage etc...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Nikile

Forums are great places to ask questions - how about returning here and taking us through your government red tape journey lol.

The passport is good for enough years that once it is in your hands you can relax and enjoy your trips...

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
Nikile

Forums are great places to ask questions - how about returning here and taking us through your government red tape journey lol.

The passport is good for enough years that once it is in your hands you can relax and enjoy your trips...

Yah, I most defintely will. The last border story i had was a funny one. They are real mean people to nice people like myself. I did accidently hit my back windshield whiper instead of the open hatch button and he got squirted with water but still... VERY MEAN. Ill let you guys kno how it goes and Thanks again for my help. Ill defintely be going to sign up for a passport in the next week or 2 for future trips outta the coutnryy. Thanks again you all for your great help! Much appreciated.

triedit

inimitable
My border crossings are always interesting when Im travellling on business. For paranormal investigations I carry a lot of audio and visual surveilance equipment. And when they ask the reason for the trip, and I tell them, without fail they have a grandmother/uncle/friend who has/had a haunted house.

Nikile

Sep 24, 2007
My border crossings are always interesting when Im travellling on business. For paranormal investigations I carry a lot of audio and visual surveilance equipment. And when they ask the reason for the trip, and I tell them, without fail they have a grandmother/uncle/friend who has/had a haunted house.

Lol,, thats some crazy sstuff. I called customs aswell and they said photo id birth cert and social card

are fine... Thanks for all the help guys.