Why Soccer Sucks

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
1. Too few goals, a game for old men (little scoring)

2. Cheering for teams named Mansion, Fly Emirates, Bwin, AIG, Pepsi, Diadora, Samsung, 888

3. Terrible effing reffing

4. Teams that wear white shirts/blue shorts white trim; white shorts/black shirts white trim

5. No names on the back of jerseys

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why soccer doesn't suck.

No out of shape lardos, everyone is fit.

Cheap to play, your family doesn't need to be affluent to afford the gear.

An emphasis on team play, a team of individuals playing as such is not nearly as good as an unselfish team.

Highly competitive sport across the entire globe.

Fans that make the games much better than our other North American sport.

With a good slide tackle, you can watch your opponent get up with sod in their teeth!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I don't understand the obsession with lots of goals. A good soccer game is incredible, mostly non stop action, with amazing passing and ball control.

I know that people who grew up with American football aren't able to keep up with non stop action, they need the play to stop every 18 seconds, but why is this? Attention span too short?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm with you there tenpenny. It seems silly to me to judge it based on a desire for constant scoring.

Some of the best hockey games are the low scoring ones, when the teams are playing their hardest but are just evenly matched. The constant back and forth is AWEsome.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm glad to see we have people who appreciate soccer here. I personally love to see hard fought games with more defense rather than high scoring blowouts. It's much more exciting to see a wonderful set piece where the goalie pulls out an incredible save, than it is to see a striker pass the ball into the net. I'm a bit biased though, as I played full back exclusively;)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
FOOTBALL rules.

But only when it's a game in a knockout tournament. I can't stand it in the leagues when both teams stand to gain from a draw. Thye piss about and knock the ball up and down the pitch for ever and that's giantly boring.

However... when it's germany vs england in the world cup.... phwoar! It's a very interesting game, tremendously exciting.

Phil B

Electoral Member
Mar 17, 2007
Brighton,UK
I'm absolutely amazed that with the obsession for lots of scoring, lots of breaks in play, numerous bizarre rules, strange positional names and endless amounts of statistics that Cricket is not more popular in North America.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
The sports you like as an adult are the ones you played when you were a kid.

for me soccer wasn't around in Canada when i was a kid...Never played the thing....

When I watch a soccer game i know what they are trying to do....but then something happens in the middle of the field and everyone goes uuuuuuu or shouts....i totally missed it even though i was watching it happen... I don't get the subtlties of the game for i never played it.

The whole last world cup i got one thing out of the game....

When beckham bounced the ball off his head and it went flying perfectly in the reach of another player and that played kicked the ball and scored.....I thne realised why he is considered one of the best....now that play made me happy and i enjoyed it....but so much more of the game is lost on me.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm absolutely amazed that with the obsession for lots of scoring, lots of breaks in play, numerous bizarre rules, strange positional names and endless amounts of statistics that Cricket is not more popular in North America.

We like our sports to finish in 3 hours or less, not 3 weeks.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
is it the rules you don't understand or just that you miss some of the action because you weren't looking?
I admit i'm not totally up on all the rules....it's not that i wasn't looking..i've discussed this with people i watched games with.....

It's like i played hockey and i can see a play and how it works out....stick handling....getting the puck off someone in the boards....checking ......

cause i played the game....
But soccer and it's foot techniques, ball handling beyond kicking and stuff is lost on me....how they set up certain plays....that sort of thing....

my point is a simple one Hermann....unless you played the sport you never will fully understand the subtle moves......

Also it's hard to get excited about a sport one never played.....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I've never really played much footy either but i can appreciate a good game. Although I do know what you mean about not being in-tune with a game. When I watch hockey, there are long periods of time when I can't even see the puck. I suspect Canadians don't have this problem.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've never really played much footy either but i can appreciate a good game. Although I do know what you mean about not being in-tune with a game. When I watch hockey, there are long periods of time when I can't even see the puck. I suspect Canadians don't have this problem.

The trick is to watch the players, instead of following the camera;)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
there was no camera... i was right there in the stadium. I still found it very hard to follow. it's just a matter of familiarity I think. I suggest that any sport requires a certain investment before one can really appreciate it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
there was no camera... i was right there in the stadium. I still found it very hard to follow. it's just a matter of familiarity I think. I suggest that any sport requires a certain investment before one can really appreciate it.

Ahh, my bad. I would say you are right with the familiarity. I love watching rugby, but I have a very limited understanding of the rules, so I'm often left wondering, what was that all about?