Do You Lock Your Door?


View Poll Results: Do You Lock Your Doors
Yes 26 68.42%
No 5 13.16%
Occasionally 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Canucklehead
#1
I myself had never really made a point of locking my door unless I was gone for the day (ie. work) but when I was home or out shopping/having abeer or three or wotnot, it usually stayed unlocked. These days my door is locked for the shopping trips or runs to the corner store and all I can attribute it to is a change of residence from London to Edmonton (with a few months stopover on the Island). It's a strange feeling to have the need to lock up all the time... so I wonder... is this the norm?
 
Cosmo
#2
Shell and I disagree on this one. I wouldn't bother locking the door but she insists. We do live in an apartment building, though, with security doors. If I lived ground floor, I'd probably be more likely to lock up.

Gad ... remember the days when you left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition of the car at all times? Man, Canucklehead, we be gettin' old!
 
Canucklehead
#3
We ain't getting old, people are just getting nutty

Ya, it's a very strange thing to lock the door behind you... it feels very very unnatural and confining. Either that or the meds wore off and the paranoia is back full force ROFL. (and fer those of ya who dun knowme... it's a JOKE!)
 
karrie
#4
I leave it unlocked if I'm in the neighborhood. When I lived in a little acreage community, we never locked the house up, just the front door. The back was always left open 'just incase.' Incase a vehicle broke down and we needed to call a neighbor to let the dog out, or someone needed into the house for something. Besides, if someone breaks in, they're just gonna kick it in anyway... may as well not have them wrecking stuff.

But in the city, there's foot traffic. So there's the idea that once you get home, you wouldn't know if someone had come in the back door. So we lock everything when we're out. When we're home though, everything gets left open.

Actually, two days ago my husband had left for work, and returned fifteen minutes later when he wasn't expected. He walked right in the front door and when he saw me jump yelled "Hi! I'm Michael Moore!"
 
lone wolf
+1
#5
Haven't left my keys in the ignition for a while (only because I want to stay in habit) but my door is never locked. Guess it's one of the big advantages of living out here in the boonies....

Wolf
 
Canucklehead
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I leave it unlocked if I'm in the neighborhood. When I lived in a little acreage community, we never locked the house up, just the front door. The back was always left open 'just incase.' Incase a vehicle broke down and we needed to call a neighbor to let the dog out, or someone needed into the house for something. Besides, if someone breaks in, they're just gonna kick it in anyway... may as well not have them wrecking stuff.

But in the city, there's foot traffic. So there's the idea that once you get home, you wouldn't know if someone had come in the back door. So we lock everything when we're out. When we're home though, everything gets left open.

Actually, two days ago my husband had left for work, and returned fifteen minutes later when he wasn't expected. He walked right in the front door and when he saw me jump yelled "Hi! I'm Michael Moore!"


LOL

When I was in London, my apartment door handle broke and seeing as it was a long weekend... good luck getting in touch with anyone to fix it so... I left the door handle off for two days before getting around to picking up a lock to replace it with. I had no concern for my stuff or that Michael Moore would be on me couch polishing off the last of my cold pizza n beer... although that woulda been one helluva wild convo when I got back if he were there
Last edited by Canucklehead; Sep 11th, 2007 at 09:18 PM..Reason: never ever let Dell 'fix' yer lappy... the kb is eff'd afterwards ugh
 
Zan
#7
I do lock my doors when I'm away for any length of time, but I don't when I'm at home, or just stepping out briefly.

On more than a couple of occasions though, I've left my back patio door open by accident and come down in the morning to my curtains flapping out the open door. I've left my garage door open - which is probably really bad because there's a door into my kitchen (which I also hardly ever lock) through the garage. I've even left my keys hanging in the front door lock overnight before.... but that's just due to being in no condition to operate a set of keys at the time hmmm come to think of it, I've even left my van parked in the driveway with the windows down more than a few times.

I chalk it up to the fact that there's a much more affluent neighborhood only a block away.... I figure anyone who's intent on doing a B&E is gonna take the trouble to walk the extra block where all the good stuff's at.
 
lone wolf
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post

I chalk it up to the fact that there's a much more affluent neighborhood only a block away.... I figure anyone who's intent on doing a B&E is gonna take the trouble to walk the extra block where all the good stuff's at.

Aren't those affluent folks more likely to have alarm systems too?

Wolf
 
karrie
#9
I just don't really see the point in worrying about locks all the time... theives usually break them or pick them to get in. The only people I've known who were robbed had their homes locked up tight when it happened. I worry about locking up at night, because I sleep so deeply I'd never know if someone was in the house with me. But other than that, I don't stress. Even with my van being broken into last night. What's the point of living in fear?
 
wallyj
#10
I always lock my door,always,always,and having doing it for the past 30 years since I left the roost. I do have a large number of psycho ex's though. But my parents still to this day do not lock the door. I think it is because my brothers and sisters would come and go at all hours and they want us to be always welcome. And,no one has ever broken in,even though they live in a moderately size city.
 
YoungJoonKim
#11
I am a bit paranoid about this "locking door"
AT NIGHT.
During the day, we actually leave our door open,unlocked...but when we noticed stupid flies invading our home, we really had no choice...
 
talloola
#12
I have my doors locked 'almost ' all the time. I would feel so silly and neglectful if someone came barging in, causing us unnecessary harm, which could have been prevented with locked doors. Same
thing with my car, always locked, even when I just run into a store for a minute or two, or, when parked in the driveway.

I never feel like I'm trapped inside, just secure and safe, and things are the same in my house with the doors locked or unlocked, doesn't change my activities inside, just makes me feel safer.

Those locks are installed for a reason.
 
Zan
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Aren't those affluent folks more likely to have alarm systems too?

Wolf



well ya..... but I have one too...........

his name's Rascal, and he sets up a pretty good commotion whenever anyone or anything walks by


My Alarm:

Last edited by Zan; Sep 11th, 2007 at 09:59 PM..Reason: added Rascal's pic
 
Albertabound
#14
It is so sad to here that people have to actually lock their doors when they're at home. I have not locked any doors to a home in my entire life. Not ever, not to the grocery store and not to go away for an entire winter. Never.
 
lone wolf
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by ZanView Post



well ya..... but I have one too...........

his name's Rascal, and he sets up a pretty good commotion whenever anyone or anything walks by


My Alarm:

Aha! The K-9. Happy looking variant too.... Beats any ten thousand dollar electronic gizmo. Custom nipper apparatus isn't available on gadgetry....

Wolf
Last edited by lone wolf; Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:13 PM..
 
Zan
#16
lolll Lonewolf.. and yes, he is a legend... in his own mind at least.
 
Dreadful Nonsense
#17
I live in a war zone..mississauga...locked all the time
 
Brat
#18
My doors are always locked.
If someone wants to steal my stuff, they have to work to get at it. I'm not going to hand it to them. If there was a home invasion while I'm here, then those locks might slow them down enough for me to call 911, grab my dog, hide, or whatever.
Check your home insurance policy. You may not be covered for theft if your doors aren't locked.
I also drive with my car doors locked. My mother had a guy try to get into her car at an intersection once. Scared the sh** out of her as he pulled on the door and pounded on the roof cuz he couldn't get in.
 
Curiosity
#19
My husband and I rarely locked doors - if someone wants in they will find a way (that was then - but this is now....)

Living alone as I do - I lock my doors all the time. If people have to break in while I am here at least they''ll have to make a noise getting in... I'm not really great at living solo having never lived alone in my life. I don't worry so much about it - but my family do so I play the way they ask me to.
 
TenPenny
#20
I lock the doors now, because the thieves that we see around here are mostly teenage crackheads, all they want to do is run in and steal something they can sell for a fix. They do it even if you're in the house; they just hope they can run faster than you. God forbid you leave the garage door open when you're in the basement.

Gone are the days when we'd leave the garage unlocked in case the neighbor needed a tool.
 
DaSleeper
#21
Just imagine a recording of a big ole Doberman barking that comes on when someone just touches the door or the knob......and it keeps going for one minute after the hooligans run away......unless you shut it off.
 
Unforgiven
#22
Sure I lock the doors but honestly that is just so that someone breaking in has to make some noise. I have insurance to cover the cost of things that get stolen or broken and that sort of thing. But to violate my rights means that you, in turn agree to give up all of yours should the tables turn and the predator becomes the prey. When you regain conscienciousness your screaming won't be an issue and while you will surely live to tell the tale, (merely a metaphor as you won't be capable to telling any tales at all) there won't be enough therapy or drugs to help you get over it.
 
talloola
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlbertaboundView Post

It is so sad to here that people have to actually lock their doors when they're at home. I have not locked any doors to a home in my entire life. Not ever, not to the grocery store and not to go away for an entire winter. Never.

what's the difference if they are locked or not, it is just something people begin doing and it becomes
a natural and normal way of life, unlocked or locked, my life is the same, but, as I did grow up in a fairly large city, it was the 'smart' thing to do, so it has stayed with me all of my life. Nothing sad
about it at all. People who think the world 'out there' is harmless are living in a dream world.
My daughters never lock their doors, and they are comfortable with that, but I wonder if someday,
all of their electronic gadgets with turn up 'missing', when they arrive home, as, when I read the
paper houses are being robbed all the time in this city, so I guess it's like russian roulette, wondering
when it will be yours, they paid lots and lots of money for all of that equipment, and I don't understand why they leave it vulnerable all the time, just sitting there waiting for 'thieves'.
It seems that since the 'drugs' arrived in our world, and so many people are addicted to them, they
steal anything to aquire money to buy them.
 
hermanntrude
#24
I've always locked my doors, everywhere i've ever lived. It's just safer to do than to not do. In my current apartment building they don't even have mailboxes any more because some ******* broke in and stole all the mail. Now I have to get all my mail delivered to the university, which is fine as long as it isn't a parcel, cos carrying large parcels home from work on a bicycle ain't easy.

It doesn't upset me, though. There are worse things in life than theives
 
Twila
#25
I lock my doors all the time. It's actually become a obsessive habit. We once had the RCMP at our door due to a disturbance by the neighbours kid. The officer came in to get a statement and I locked the door behind him when he came into the house.

I've locked my husband out quite by accident. He'll go into the back yard for a smoke. I'll pop my head out the sliding glass door to ask a question. Then close the doors and lock them.
 
JLM
#26
Whose business is it?
 
Blackleaf
#27
I lock the door to my apartment all the time, even though I don't really need to. My front door is like the entrance to Fort Knox even without it being properly locked. It has a normal lock and a Yale lock on it and no handle on the outside, so as soon as it is shut it is impossible to open it from the outside unless you use the Yale key. But if any would-be burglars tried kicking the door in they'd have a hard time because it's a strong, thick door and anyone trying to kick it in will only succeed in breaking their foot. The door barely even rattles in its frame when you kick it.

But I still lock it anyway just for their extra security, because the estate I live in - Langford Gardens - is rough as hell. There are many unsavoury characters that live on my estate - yobbos, drug dealers, thugs, hooligans - and my mate who lives in the apartment across the hallway from me fell out in February with a yobbo gay guy called Wayne (whom everyone calls Waynetta) who lives on the estate and Waynetta brought his thuggish mates and brother around to Stuart's late one night in February when I was there having a few beers with Stuart. Stuart's door is easy to open even when locked and these thugs just walked in, took a huge knife from Stuart's kitchen drawer, and threatened him with it. I was sat there on the sofa trying to ignore it all, just watching TV and swigging my beer, but I was absolutely terrified as I could see the guy waving this huge knife about in front of Stuart who was also sat down. But they eventually left with nobody hurt.


I live in one of these 1970s apartments - on the ground floor - in Langford Gardens, Bolton

Then, about a month ago, the same yobbos chucked bricks through Stuart's living room window and all four of his kitchen windows late one night. I was watching TV and I heard BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG then Stuart shouting. His windows are still boarded up. He's not bothered to have them repaired because he's decided to move to get away from Waynetta's thugs. He's moving back to his hometown of Blackburn.

So I always make sure I lock my dooe, even though it's as good as locked even when it ISN'T locked, just because my estate is so rough.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Oct 3rd, 2013 at 10:15 AM..
 
Cannuck
#28
I haven't locked my door since 1989 when I moved out of Edmonton
 
talloola
#29
my front door is 'almost' Always locked. i'm never going to give anyone the opportunity of walking into
my home uninvited.

have done it for many years, don't give it a second thought, its automatic.

and yes, my husband and I have locked each other out a few times, but the doorbell works, and we can
walk around to the back of the house and come thru that area, thru the cat room, so anyone better be
aware of a possibility of 5 cats and two choc. labradors greeting them at that door, good luck if they
are trying to be quiet or sneaky.
 
Cliffy
#30
The only beings that might want access to my house would be a bear and there ain't no way this tin can would stop it. Even when I lived in town I didn't lock doors. I figured my karma would protect me, and so far it has.
 

Similar Threads

90
Should we lock the Canadian Dollar with the U.S.?
by theconqueror | Apr 29th, 2010
0
Britain the lock-up capital of Europe
by Blackleaf | Jan 29th, 2007
5
Why lock the threads?
by NickFun | Dec 1st, 2005
2
Telus Mobility Trying to lock out workers
by acidcomplex | Oct 6th, 2005
no new posts