Any Honda Oddessey owners here?

jjaycee98
Our Oddessey is getting to the KMS to be off warranty soon and took it in for a service and good inspection. The shop says we should change the "Tming Belt"-$500 to do so. Anyone know about this?

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98View Post

Our Oddessey is getting to the KMS to be off warranty soon and took it in for a service and good inspection. The shop says we should change the "Tming Belt"-$500 to do so. Anyone know about this?

When I worked for Honda, we would change timing belts at about the 80,000 km mark. RUbber belts stretch, and if you wait till it breaks or skips, you could be looking at a hell of alot more than $500.

TenPenny
Absolutely change the timing belt. I seem to recall a 100,000 km rule of thumb. Depending on your engine design, a skip in the timing belt can mean your piston becomes intimate with a valve, which means your mechanic becomes intimate with your wallet.

My sister in law has something like 400,000 on her 98 Odyssey.

Toro
I have an 01 Odyssey. We take it in every six months.

karrie
I follow a very simple rule of thumb.

If a mechanic says it needs replacing, and the vehicle can't run if it fails one winter day when the kids need to get to school, then I let the mechanic replace it, but demand the old parts be kept for my review.

$500 for a new part is cheaper than $500 plus towing.