Unions Outsource Picketing

Toro

Senate Member
Picketing is for the Little People.

The picketers marching in a circle in front of a downtown Washington office building chanting about low wages do not seem fully focused on their message.

Many have arrived with large suitcases or bags holding their belongings, which they keep in sight. Several are smoking cigarettes. One works a crossword puzzle. Another bangs a tambourine, while several drum on large white buckets. Some of the men walking the line call out to passing women, "Hey, baby." A few picketers gyrate and dance while chanting: "What do we want? Fair wages. When do we want them? Now."

Although their placards identify the picketers as being with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters, they are not union members.

They're hired feet, or, as the union calls them, temporary workers, paid $8 an hour to picket. Many were recruited from homeless shelters or transitional houses. Several have recently been released from prison. Others are between jobs.

"It's about the cash," said Tina Shaw, 44, who lives in a House of Ruth women's shelter and has walked the line at various sites. "We're against low wages, but I'm here for the cash."

Carpenters locals across the country are outsourcing their picket lines, hiring the homeless, students, retirees and day laborers to get their message across. Larry Hujo, a spokesman for the Indiana-Kentucky Regional Council of Carpenters, calls it a "shift in the paradigm" of picketing. ...

Supporters of the practice consider it a creative tactic in an era of declining union membership and clout. But critics say the reliance on nonunion members -- who are paid $1 above minimum wage and receive no benefits -- diminishes the impact and undercuts a principle established over decades of union struggles.

"If I was a member of the general public, and I asked someone picketing why they were there, and they said they don't work for the union and they were just hired to stand there, that wouldn't create a very positive impression on me, nor would it create a very sympathetic position," said Wayne Ranick, spokesman for the United Steelworkers of America. ...

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters is the only union that routinely hires homeless people for its picket lines, union leaders and labor scholars say. It targets locations where work such as carpentry and drywall and floor installation is done without union labor. In a June newsletter on the union's Web site, the union's president and chief executive, Bill Halbert, referred to the pickets as "area standards campaigns." ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072302011_pf.html

That's fabulous.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What happens when the picketters picket over their low picketting wages? Will there be a brawl when picketters cross the picket line to picket in the original picket line?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Then they can pick a peck of pickled peckers. Cuz they'll be screwed. lol, lol, lol.

Here's a better headline.

Union hires scabs to protest scabs. :lol:

Reactions: Tonington

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well, on the bright side the homeless are making some money.

Yepper. Me thoughts egggzzzactly. Someone has finally got jobs for the homeless.

Surely homes will be next.

Alamand left and alamand right
Grab yer nose and pickett
Yahoo
Doh see doh

Too much.

8O(really, I'm ok), just old.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I just hope they aren't striking over the fact that their employer wants to outsource...8O

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
What happens when the picketters picket over their low picketting wages? Will there be a brawl when picketters cross the picket line to picket in the original picket line?
As a long time union member,I can only LOL and LOL again. I will be sending this article to all my buds(esp. my fatcat union bro) at work with whom I have walked the line . And we wonder why we are branded as lazy snots.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
If true, it at least shows how unions create jobs for the poor whereas the wealthy create jobs overseas by exporting our jobs.

Unions create jobs for those in charge of the unions.

Unions long ago were a worthy and noble cause. Today their "leaders" are bums in a suit.