Idiot Sightings

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
IDIOT SIGHTING: We had to have the garage door repaired. The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a "large" enough motor on the opener. I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time a 1/2 horsepower. He shook his head and said, "Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower." I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4. He said, "NO, it's not. Four is larger than two. We haven't used Sears repair since IDIOT SIGHTING: I live in a semi rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on our road. The reason:Too many deer are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore. From Kingman, KS IDIOTS IN FOOD SERVICE: My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco. She asked the person behind the counter for minimal lettuce. He said he was sorry, but they only had iceburg lettuce. From Kansas City IDIOT SIGHTING: I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge? To which I replied, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?" He smiled knowingly and nodded, "That's why we ask." Happened in Birmingham, Ala IDIOT SIGHTING: The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red. Appalled, she responded, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?!" She was a probation officer in Wichita, Ka IDIOT SIGHTING: We were having a luncheon for an old and dear coworker; she was leaving the company due to downsizing. Our manager commented cheerfully, :This is fun We should do this more often." Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare. This was a lunch at Texas Instruments IDIOT SIGHTING: I work with an individual who plugged her power strip back into itself and for the sake of her life , couldn't understand why her system would not turn on. A deputy with the Dallas County Sheriffs office. IDIOT SIGHTING: When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver's side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked. "Hey, I announced to the technician, its open!" His reply, "I know. I already got that side." This was at the Ford dealership in Canton , Mississippi STAY alert! They walk among us... and they REPRODUCE!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Just the Facts

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
And the scary thing is there are more and more of them out there all the time.8O

Them, and Darwin candidates.;-)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
IDIOT SIGHTING:

true story: The other day our SHAW cable went down. We rely on it for our phone and internet service. As many of you know my wife is very pregnant and so we weren't very comfortable having no phone or internet service (stupid to rely on only ONE phone system... everyone knows you HAVE to have a cellphone). So we called up shaw and asked them to fix it asap. They said they'd come the next day between noon and 4pm. stupid #1: They phoned and left a message (on our non-functional phone) to confirm. stupid #2: they turned up at about 9am, despite insisting it was impossible to get an appointment earlier than 12 noon.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
IDIOT SIGHTING:

true story: The other day our SHAW cable went down. We rely on it for our phone and internet service. As many of you know my wife is very pregnant and so we weren't very comfortable having no phone or internet service (stupid to rely on only ONE phone system... everyone knows you HAVE to have a cellphone). So we called up shaw and asked them to fix it asap. They said they'd come the next day between noon and 4pm. stupid #1: They phoned and left a message (on our non-functional phone) to confirm. stupid #2: they turned up at about 9am, despite insisting it was impossible to get an appointment earlier than 12 noon.

Yep, their idea of "convenience" is to come when it is convenient to them, not to you.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
oh I just love it when companies change policy and state "for your convenience" They should have to provide a 800 number for complaints.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
IDIOT SIGHTING:

I swear I've talked to that guy.
You could have said that the door repair man wasn't due til 9:30.

The cell phone thing though. You don't have one? I find it's what helps to keep me from worrying too much about the kids and it's handy for talking between the wife and I. Now I can just phone the kitchen from the livingroom and have the Guinness delivered. :lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Hermann

You should have yelled through the door - it would be impossible to open it until 12 noon....

Or you could just tell him that you have to walk around naked as your clothes are in the wash.

"Oh, they should be ready at approximately 12pm.".:lol:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
The cell phone thing though. You don't have one? I find it's what helps to keep me from worrying too much about the kids and it's handy for talking between the wife and I. Now I can just phone the kitchen from the livingroom and have the Guinness delivered. :lol:

it wasn't that long ago that cellphones didn't exist. Now they're a neccessity of life? Look how well they've been marketed. Now so many people have them that the land-based phone companies can afford to be completely unreliable, since "everyone" has a cellphone to fall back on. And two bills to pay, of course....

GaurdianX

Jun 3, 2007
Twila, the dumb door mechanic and the blind crossing was the funniest idiots I have ever seen.

hermanntrude, your idiot sighting is sadly a re-accuring sighting.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
it wasn't that long ago that cellphones didn't exist. Now they're a neccessity of life? Look how well they've been marketed. Now so many people have them that the land-based phone companies can afford to be completely unreliable, since "everyone" has a cellphone to fall back on. And two bills to pay, of course....

Just read the Stephen King novel 'Cell' and you will be picking one up in no time.;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I somehow forgot my cell at the office this afternoon. First time ever.
Best damn drive home i've had in a long time.

At least you didn't chuck it out the car window. I can't remember where I read it, but a commuter did that when he got pissed off.:lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I've got my cell phone problem solved.... I tell people it only works for 'outgoing calls' in case of an emergency .... and nobody has challenged me yet hehe

Truth probably is they know this cannot be - but don't know how to break the news to me...in words I might be able to understand..... about cell phones I mean...

Nasty little conveniences!!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Shadow

I saw some guy open the door in his bathrobe to a reporter trying to get an interview on television this morning... and he opened it up and did a full frontal expose hahaha.... the camera was joggling as the photo guy was obviously laughing at the female reporter who nearly gagged.... (the guy wasn't a sight to behold at all)

I wish I had the courage to do that to some people who show up unannounced or hours late without an excuse....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Shadow

I saw some guy open the door in his bathrobe to a reporter trying to get an interview on television this morning... and he opened it up and did a full frontal expose hahaha.... the camera was joggling as the photo guy was obviously laughing at the female reporter who nearly gagged.... (the guy wasn't a sight to behold at all)

I wish I had the courage to do that to some people who show up unannounced or hours late without an excuse....

Unless it was a person from a contest about to give you a cheque for a million dollars.:lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

All true but still it's a simple way to keep the little problems in like from becoming major hassles. Now you call road side assistance from the car. You let someone know you're half an hour late. Not to mention that should someone have to get a hold of you, like about your kids or wife, then they can.

Sure you get to pay two bills and all the other little foibles associated with it, but at least you have the option.

No you don't have to have one. But then you could technically walk to work and home again. But it's nice to have a car, indoor plumbing and central heating. It just makes things easier.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
oh I just love it when companies change policy and state "for your convenience" They should have to provide a 800 number for complaints.
The Royal bank that I used to deal with changed thier hours"for our convenience" and put out pamphlets detailing the new hours . They cut about 4 hours off thier time that they were open. Of course,I brought up a pamphlet and questioned the teller(poor girl,she did not deserve my tirade),she was at a loss and said I could talk to her supervisor. I waited about 20 minutes and then another lady came up and told me that the manager would talk to me,BUT he was not in right now and could I come back later. I explained to her my concern,and said I wasn't coming back,ever.Sometimes it is best to go with the heart instead of the head.