AVRO Arrow. One of the saddest Canadian Aviation tales

#juan
The AVRO Arrow would still perform with the best if we had one. At the time, there was nothing to touch it. When the Arrow was scrapped I made a promise to pee on either Diefenbaker or his grave....alas I haven't yet done either. If you compare the performance with any of the aircraft listed, it doesn't do half bad as is was in the fifties. With normal modifications to bring it up to date with current times, it would do even better.

http://tinyurl.com/2bywau

Unforgiven
Under normal circumstances I would be saying "ROAD TRIP!" alas, the destination is Saskatoon and I wouldn't even travel there to pee on Harper's head.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

Under normal circumstances I would be saying "ROAD TRIP!" alas, the destination is Saskatoon and I wouldn't even travel there to pee on Harper's head.

Not even if I pay for the gas???

I think security would have us even as we unzipped.

Ottywaw's closer, but he's covered in ArseyMP there.

Aw well...........................outhouse will have to do.

Jeez, now ya got me THINKIN about it. Not good.

(in spite of Steve)

karrie
My hubby's going through there on Monday... I'll see if I can get him to do it for #juan. LOL. I think he'd gladly help.

Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

lone wolf
The day of the manned interceptor was over so we sold out and went to American-made Bomarcs - then had to replace our AVRO CF-100's with American-made Voo Doos. Methinks the Yanks didn't want to be outshone - and we've been polishing their boots ever since. Figures.... Dief was a Tory!

Wolf

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by oldnuglyView Post

Not even if I pay for the gas???

I think security would have us even as we unzipped.

Ottywaw's closer, but he's covered in ArseyMP there.

Aw well...........................outhouse will have to do.

Jeez, now ya got me THINKIN about it. Not good.

(in spite of Steve)

Yeah University security. Like those bitches wouldn't end up in the trunk waiting for their turn at getting pissed on.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Dief was a Tory!

They're all evil, just like the Republicans.

#juan
Yeah, the day of the manned interceptor was over, but only until they managed to unload a batch of Bowmarcs on that hick from Prince Albert. that heretofore, were unable to hit anything but the launching pad After that, the Americans built nothing but manned bombers and interceptors by the thousands. A lot of those bombers and interceptors were being rolled out when Dief the dope bought the bloody Bowmarc.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

They're all evil, just like the Republicans.

Not all Tories are evil Walter....Just you and Dief, and a few others.....

lone wolf
Yeah ... today's Canadore College flight school - a place I've been to many times - sits on the site of 28 empty Bomarc bunkers.

From John A and his attempt to sell off a nearly-complete CPR to the USA, through Dief's destruction of the Canadian aerospace industry and Mulroney's trade-away of a lot of the rest, to Harper doing to us whatever Uncle Sam wants, name me one Tory who actually looked out for Canadian interests.

Wolf

EagleSmack

The day of the manned interceptor was over so we sold out and went to American-made Bomarcs - then had to replace our AVRO CF-100's with American-made Voo Doos. Methinks the Yanks didn't want to be outshone - and we've been polishing their boots ever since. Figures.... Dief was a Tory!

Wolf

You are SO GREEEEN!

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

You are SO GREEEEN!

...and how am I so green? The Canadair-built F-86 (under licence from North American) with its Orenda engine out-performed even the final version Uncle Sam's own Sabres. The Arrow was head-and-shoulders above the best you had.

Wolf

#juan

...and how am I so green? The Canadair-built F-86 (under licence from North American) with its Orenda engine out-performed even the final version Uncle Sam's own Sabres. The Arrow was head-and-shoulders above the best you had.

Wolf

The Canadair-built F-86 was the last jet I flew. The Sabre mark 6 had nearly twice the thrust of the earlier North American version. Jackie Cochrane(an American lady aviator)used a Canadian Sabre to break the sound barrier and set a ladies speed record.

Walter

Yeah ... today's Canadore College flight school - a place I've been to many times - sits on the site of 28 empty Bomarc bunkers.

From John A and his attempt to sell off a nearly-complete CPR to the USA, through Dief's destruction of the Canadian aerospace industry and Mulroney's trade-away of a lot of the rest, to Harper doing to us whatever Uncle Sam wants, name me one Tory who actually looked out for Canadian interests.

Wolf

We have the lowest unemployment rate in 30+ years. Stupid NAFTA.

lone wolf
+1
#15  Top Rated Post
Thanks to McDonalds, Walmart and Burger King - Note: all American companies who pay as little as possible - while companies like Weyerhauser close plants and move machinery to their homes in the US.

Wolf

Gonzo
I wouldn't want Canada to be a WMD supplier like the US, so it's kind of good that the Arrow project was shut down. We can put our efforts into science and research instead.

lone wolf
And what do you think the aerospace industry was? We're still in there with Canadarm and the Mars project. What could have been had the whole project not gone bust? Besides - where do you think Agent Orange came from ... or the uranium for atom bombs?

Wolf

Kreskin
#juan, that's pretty cool that you flew the F-86. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of aircraft, remember when the Vulcan was a staple at the Abbotsford Airshow? I use to love watching that pig, especially when the pilot would tilt the nose up and put the pedal to the metal. It sounded like it got about an inch to the gallon of gas. The sound would rattle fillings.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

#juan, that's pretty cool that you flew the F-86. Amazing stuff.

Speaking of aircraft, remember when the Vulcan was a staple at the Abbotsford Airshow? I use to love watching that pig, especially when the pilot would tilt the nose up and put the pedal to the metal. It sounded like it got about an inch to the gallon of gas. The sound would rattle fillings.

Hi Rick
The Vulcan bomber was a test bed in a lot of ways for the Concord. The Rolls Royce Olympus engines on the Vulcan were eventually, with a bit of refinement, used on the Concord. During Expo 86 the Concord came to Abbotsford and we all got to hear that ground shaking rumble once again when that big white delta wing was climbing out after a low pass. It was an impressive beast.

EagleSmack

Wolf

Yeah the final version which was most likely obsolete. Basically you took an obsolete aircraft, put a stronger engine in it and said...

"Hey... our version is a lot better than yours!"

Enjoy!

EagleSmack

And what do you think the aerospace industry was? We're still in there with Canadarm and the Mars project. What could have been had the whole project not gone bust? Besides - where do you think Agent Orange came from ... or the uranium for atom bombs?

Wolf

Don't forget ASBESTOS!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Yeah the final version which was most likely obsolete. Basically you took an obsolete aircraft, put a stronger engine in it and said...

"Hey... our version is a lot better than yours!"

Enjoy!

In those days Eagle, a lot of aircraft were obsolete the day they were rolled out......some were obsolete on the drawing board. The U.S. version of the F-86 was upgraded as well with more powerful engines and other modifications. In those early days of jet fighters we had a lot to learn. Some aircraft, including the F-86 used to fly apart occasionally for no obvious reason. I'm still proud I got the chance to fly them.

Btw, the U.S. actually bought a few Sabres from Canada to use in Korea....I think it was only fifty or a hundred aiecraft. Canadair built over 1800 F-86s.
Last edited by #juan; Aug 27th, 2007 at 10:49 AM..

Kreskin
Very interesting #juan. Now that you point out the similarities I can see it. I was at that airshow when the Concord flew over. I attended airshows religiously before moving out to the Island.

MikeyDB
The nice thing about being an American is that even if Germans and other nations built their technology when it came to weapons and aircraft and space exploration...the American dollar is the final arbiter of "who did what"....

It's just a shame that Americans can't stomach the rest of the world but are more than happy with promoting "American" technology that came from many other nations than the United States.

America: The land of unbridled arrogance, whether truly "American" or otherwise....

#juan

Very interesting #juan. Now that you point out the similarities I can see it. I was at that airshow when the Concord flew over. I attended airshows religiously before moving out to the Island.

The other impressive aircraft at Abbotsford that year was that huge Russian freighter, the AN 225. It was bigger than the C-5 Galaxy by about half, and it was doing "short field" take offs and landings at Abbotsford, The Galaxy had to burn off most of it's fuel just to land in Abbotsford.

hermanntrude

I grew up just across the valley from Biggin Hill (external - login to view), and went to the airshows regularly. I also went to some larger shows around the UK... I love them. I saw concorde too, and one memorable occasion I saw the SR-71 blackbird (external - login to view).

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

I grew up just across the valley from Biggin Hill (external - login to view), and went to the airshows regularly. I also went to some larger shows around the UK... I love them. I saw concorde too, and one memorable occasion I saw the SR-71 blackbird (external - login to view).

For twelve or fifteen years we had the SR-71 at every show. Satellites are now doing most of the work of the SR-71s and they have been for the most part phased out. Great airplane though.

I was at Farnborough(sp) in 1960. I saw some of the great British aircraft......the V-bombers, There was an English Electric fighter that was very slick and very fast. I can't remember the names of them all. Great show.

Kreskin
One year the organizers decided to allow people to sit in the infield runway area, off to the left. We ended up in there. It was crazy. I remember one time a guy flying a Tomcat was pretending to be in trouble. The plane was wobbling and girating at low speed. Great show for those on the tarmac but for those of us on the infield we were scattering like field mice in case he wasn't joking. Amongst us there were a lot of comments about how fantastic it was but wondering how they could allow us to be there. I noticed next year they didn't have any viewing area on the other side of the runway. Maybe they do again but hopefully there would be modified flight plans to go with it.

#juan
Here is an interesting photo:

#juan
Here is another: The Arrow is a very good mock-up