AVRO Arrow. One of the saddest Canadian Aviation tales

#juan
Well, we've pretty well worn out this topic.
In your opinion, what is the best fighter in the world today?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

In your opinion, what is the best fighter in the world today?

based on personal opinion only...The Raptor...If you asked me what my favourite military air craft was...It would be the Warthog.

lone wolf
Best ... or most useful? Best, IMO, was left on the dancefloor. Zoomie can stand on his tail and do Pirouettes all over the sky. What good is any of it when the guy you have to fight is on the ground burying improvised mines where he knows you'll be walking. Skyraider kept 'em on their toes for hours in the Nam

Curiosity
I love this site - to read up on new prototypes and what the current favs are

www.janes.com/news/defence/ (external - login to view)

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Best ... or most useful? Best, IMO, was left on the dancefloor. Zoomie can stand on his tail and do Pirouettes all over the sky. What good is any of it when the guy you have to fight is on the ground burying improvised mines where he knows you'll be walking. Skyraider kept 'em on their toes for hours in the Nam

Oh hell...if we're gunna start talkin' antiquated prop types...Gimme a F6F Hellcat any day!!!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

based on personal opinion only...The Raptor...If you asked me what my favourite military air craft was...It would be the Warthog.

I would go along with the Warthog. The A-10 does it's own specific job(tank busting) probably better than any other military aircraft does any job. It looks like a big unwieldy, heavy beast but it is agile enough to take out tanks with thirty millimeter cannon rounds that it sprays like a fire hose. It has to be big to carry that Vulcan cannon and a ton or two of cannon rounds

CDNBear

It looks like a big unwieldy, heavy beast but it is agile enough to take out tanks

I can relate to it......

Tonington
I have a few favourites, some mentioned already. The A-10 is phenomenal, I still remember the first time as a kid when three of em came screaming over the trees in SW Nova Scotia. They did that four more times and then they were gone.

For old aircraft, I don't think theres an aircraft out there as gorgeous as the P-41. I've always been an F-14 fan, since I was a kid.

#juan
I don't know much about the Raptor except that it is really expensive. I think the best all around air superiority fighter is still the F-15 Eagle. The Raptor might have something of a performance edge on the Eagle but the F-15 is out there in big numbers and it seems to be almost indestructable.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchve1aKxAN7bAs

lone wolf
Warthog does low and slow - but has zilch for endurance. A1 is an antique, yeah, but loitered enough that Charlie called her "The Moon".

Wolf

#juan
I thought that one-winged landing by an F-15 was nothing short of miraculous.

CDNBear

I thought that one-winged landing by an F-15 was nothing short of miraculous.

Damn...I can't remember if it was in Nam or Korea where (I believe it was a Saber) pushed another jet to the safety of the ocean...Only to have the pilot drown in the prop was of a SAR helo.

Now that's bloody amazing!

Mowich

Not quite yet...........great post by the way. Happened to be watching CTV News moments ago when retired Maj. Gen. Lewis MacKenzie came on as a guest speaker. I was most interested to hear what he had to say about the possibility of Canada reviving the Arrow project and what it would mean for jobs in Canada. Then I found this article about the Arrow.

Avro Arrow redesign pitched as alternative to F-35 fighter jets | Canada | News | National Post

"The Arrow project would also create a made-in-Canada plane and an industry that would add thousands of jobs and billions of dollars to the Canadian economy, the proposal’s author wrote.

“The government of Canada is in a position to project foreign policy initiatives within the global community while simultaneously leading Canada’s socio-economic capabilities to rise to real security, defence and industrial policy challenges at home and abroad,” the proposal said."

...and this one.

Will legendary Avro Arrow make Lazarus-like return? - The Globe and Mail

I definitely part ways with the government on this one. Would really like to see some of our MPs pick up on this and start a discussion in Parliament - it is at least worth taking a good close look at the project. IMO.