Nature Over Nurture

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
ah, that's sooo cute. I wonder if she'll change once she has a calf of her own?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
ah, that's sooo cute. I wonder if she'll change once she has a calf of her own?

Good question. She does associate with the pod down river so there is the possibility that she will mate. Could be that she will introduce her offspring to a free meal and a day at the spa like so many mothers have done for daughters before her. heh heh

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
lol. Day at the spa!

so it might mean that aggression in hippo's is a learned thing...not a genetic thing...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
lol. Day at the spa!

so it might mean that aggression in hippo's is a learned thing...not a genetic thing...

Maybe. Like bulls being some what territorial can be blown into a bull suited to bull fighting or bull riding. Not so uncommon to jump to a conclusion and have that become the collective assumption.

I have to wonder if she gets aroma therapy too? heh heh

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I have to wonder if she gets aroma therapy too? heh heh

hmmm, I wonder what a hippo would find soothing....ode d' stagnant water? croc poop toilet water?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Once she has a calf of her own that keeper will lose his arm feeding her like that.....................or at least that's what "they" say.

They are extremely protective of their babies and generally kill anything they perceive to be a threat.................or so I'm told

Read somewhere that hippos kill more people every year than any other African wild beast with the exception of the militias around Darfur.................but you didn't hear it from me, ok?

If I were a mama hippo I would too, as people in general, suck.................it's rumoured.

Anyway, if you bothered to read this you're too damn curious.

ha ha ha:angry3:

:canada:SAVE THE HIPPOS.....SEND "STEVE"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Who is steve? I wouldn't want to cause indigestion...have you checked out the cannibal thread?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Maybe. Like bulls being some what territorial can be blown into a bull suited to bull fighting or bull riding. Not so uncommon to jump to a conclusion and have that become the collective assumption.

We used to have a bull that I trained to run over whenever I came to the corrals, and lie down for a belly scratch.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
We used to have a bull that I trained to run over whenever I came to the corrals, and lie down for a belly scratch.

Ferdinand? Too funny. My brother used to have a cow that would follow him around the farm all day. I love how creatures can have these funny little quirks just waiting to be discovered and sometime excentuated.