F.A.C.T. Families Against Crime and Trauma

bluecollarguy

Jul 9, 2007
New Westminster B.C.
A Community Forum was held today by F.A.C.T. in New Westminster that I was glad that I had the chance to attend.
This organization was formed by families who have been affected by violent crime, or have lost a loved one to a criminal act.
Speakers were David Toner (F.A.C.T.)-James Miller (End Youth Violence)-Wallace G. Craig (Real Justice)-Len Miller (Ex-Law Enforcement Officer)-Mike Farnworth (MLA Port Coquitlam)-Bruce Ralston (MLA Surrey, Whalley)
The mission statement for this organization is,
-To provide a voice for those affected by a violent crime, or loss of a loved one to a criminal act.
-To create a change in the Criminal Justice System.
-To provide guidance and direction pertaining to court procedures.
-To educate the community and victims about there rights.

I found these peoples opinions and views to be very well informed. And the attitude of this organization to help others who have suffered form violent crime very commendable.
If more people took the time and say the Justice System isn't working and that the Criminals have more rights then the Victim or there Families. Maybe the Judges and The Law Makers will take notice.

For more information on this very worthwhile organization please visit http://www.familiesagainstcrime.org/

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Exactly how are these groups important? I'm not saying they aren't, I'm merely asking for someone to make the case that we need yet another advocate for victim's rights or privileges or whatever.

Victims aren't heroes. Nor are they noble innocents who need whatever we can throw at them. Nor ought they too great a say as to the punishment of the offender.

Have at me, folks. Make your best case.

Pangloss

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I can agree with that. Victims deserve the full protection of the law, that being said, they aren't heroes (usually).

One of the reason they tell you to wait for police rather than get involved in an altercation is how the average person reacts. If you see two men assaulting one man, and get involved (To even the odds so to speak) 9 times out of 10 the man who was being assaulted will flee..leaving you to be assaulted by two men.

We really need a clear and consice police for the justice system. Punishment, Prevention or Rehabilitation.

Too often we try and rehabilitate those who are not rehabilitatable (such as parole for violent sex offenders) to make a statement. Then we put stiff punishments on people who's crime ultimately stems not form malice but incompetance (such as a parent who gives his kid too much medicine, as hes' a reject 18 year old too dumb to put on a rubber) since you can't rehabilitate stupid we decide harsh punishment, again, to make a message.

So pick a system and go with it. And any ruling or law which does not hold to that end goal is scrapped.

If you go with punishment and someone is given a ruling to rehabilitate, automatic resentancing by another judge (the old one is suspended).

If you go with rehabilitation and you sentance someone (say the idiot parent above) to jail time rather than say, taking away his right to be in the care of children, he gets a retrial and the judge is suspended.

bluecollarguy

Jul 9, 2007
New Westminster B.C.
Exactly how are these groups important? I'm not saying they aren't, I'm merely asking for someone to make the case that we need yet another advocate for victim's rights or privileges or whatever.

Victims aren't heroes. Nor are they noble innocents who need whatever we can throw at them. Nor ought they too great a say as to the punishment of the offender.

Have at me, folks. Make your best case.

Pangloss

At the very least these groups can help people who are going through the same things.
At the most they can affect change in how victims are treated and just maybe how the criminals are sentanced.
Your right these people aren't Hero's. And if someone called them such they would be the first to deny it. They are just regular people who feel that the justice system has failed them and that have the guts to stand up and say so.