• Maybe

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
adoption

This is kind of a moot point since all our kids are long grown and gone; but, I think if we were young and wanted kids and couldn't have them for some reason, we would adopt. Think we would apply for Canadian kids though, sorry.

N'Ugg.:canada:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I know many who are trying to but they find themselves in a mile of red tape.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
I think I would too regardless I can have my own child or not and regardless I'm married or not when I feel ready to be a parent.
Don't believe it, but my palm was read once and I was told I'm going to have a girl. If it's true, I'll adopt a boy and vice versa, with not so big gap in the age.

Of all things that have gone wrong in our society, why not make a difference even just for one child if you can be a good parent.
Just hope Madonna and Angeline Jolie for instance are not doing it just for publicity...

Had a talk with a flatmate who was majoring in psychology and she said it'd be difficult to educate an adopted child who is 5 years old or above especially if s/he has had bad experience till then. But is that good enough reason to give up? A child can be difficult, but does it mean that child has an impossible chance to change? It sounds like nobody cares about these children who are 5 years old or older thinking that they would be impossible to educate. If nobody cares, who will?

Oldnugly, there is no sorry here I reckon, its a personal choice and involving a personal preference too, no right or wrong here.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Had a talk with a flatmate who was majoring in psychology and she said it'd be difficult to educate an adopted child who is 5 years old or above especially if s/he has had bad experience till then. But is that good enough reason to give up? A child can be difficult, but does it mean that child has an impossible chance to change? It sounds like nobody cares about these children who are 5 years old or older thinking that they would be impossible to educate. If nobody cares, who will?

I voted No in this poll. first of all, I expect to have children of my own someday, and second - like your flatmate said, children over 5 years old are hard to educate, and it would be especially true if the child is of a different racial or ethnic background. It's possible to overlook these differences if the child was adopted at a very early age, before it had learnt to speak, for instance. Children learn very rapidly during their first years, regardless of whether they remember it later or not. And what they learn during these years is the foundation for their future life and their personality. This includes national and religious traditions, and the ways of the country they live in. I don't think that I will be wise enough to combine these things with what they will need to learn in a new community, or to make the tansfer process, so to say, from one set of values to another an easy and gradual one for the child. That is why I'd rather not undertake it at all.