Crackbook..I mean Facebook

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Any one here on it? Addicted? Found it useful for finding old friends, school mates etc?

I found my grandparents family who still live in the "old country"

I find it quite amazing....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I have been using it for a few months now, it was quite addictive in the beginning, now I just check it every other day or so. I am horrible for losing phone numbers etc, I appreciate that Facebook does that for me now.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
I've joined recently and really enjoy it.
I have found people who I haven't seen in 20 years. We have basicly picked up where we left off. It's awesome.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Does it give you willies seeing people out of the past .... I mean high school people ... I can't bring myself to try the place out.... I like to remember some of them as they were then.... still I would love to hear how their lives have turned out.

Oh no... is that a sign of getting old or what?

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
No,no willies. LOL
It was actually quite nice to see how they have changed. We all get older. I know I don't look like I did in high school, but I'm not embrassed to show it. It's neat to find out what their doing, who their doing and where their doing it.
The profiles can be limited as to how much you want to share with people and who you want to share it with.
I actually found an old boyfriend, well, he found me and we're talking again. I talk to my cousin's, friends from highschool, college and people I use to work with, etc.
It's alot of fun. You should try it. Even for a little while, if you don't like it, delete your account.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Curio, the best part of facebook is that you don't have to do long emails or anything. It's like you can just "check in" with people. A qiuck note here or update your "page" and people can see what your doing without having to do the "how are you, i'm fine" bull****. Some people don't use pictures of themselves. Some do. You can always "test" it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Once in a while I like to go hunt for some people from my past. It's not all that difficult to find something in reference to them and once in a while I get a hit and take it from there.

Not too long ago I picked up a lead on an old acquaintance that for the short while I knew him was a stabilizer and peace maker in personality and action. Unfortunately he passed away from thyroid cancer about a year before I found out. There was a memorial site for him with comments from his friends and loved ones. Some I recognized, others I didn't. I felt conflicted in posting a remembrance of him as it almost felt like I was intruding on a world I was never a part of. He was deeply loved and missed by these people and I just backed off from perhaps opening it up again for some.

That kind of put me off the whole looking up people from the past thing. I figure if they come and look me up, then I'll crack open a beer and deal with it then. If not, best to let sleeping dogs lay.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Unforgiven, but what if they feel the same? sit back and wait for somebody else to make the first move? then you both miss out.
I've sent emails to people I went to school with and felt quite nervous about it. Some responded and some didn't. No biggy. But I'd never have known if I hadn't tried.

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Facebook and sites like it just makes that search for someone a little easier.

I should also mention, that if there is someone that you don't want to have contact with then you have the option of "ignoring" and blocking that person.

Someone once said " I'd rather have one rose and a kind word from a friend while I'm here, than a whole truck load when I'm gone.

Last edited:

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Not sure how that works.
I figured you aren't listed until you join that group.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Unforgiven, but what if they feel the same? sit back and wait for somebody else to make the first move? then you both miss out.
I've sent emails to people I went to school with and felt quite nervous about it. Some responded and some didn't. No biggy. But I'd never have known if I hadn't tried.

Meh, you know I figure that we had our time back in the day. I did meet up with an old band mate who was screening his film here in Toronto. It was nice to reminise and catch up. But the things we used to do are a long faded memory. He doesn't even play guitar any more.

I suppose if it's suppose to be, it will come about on it's own accord. Nice to see people do hook up and reconnect.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I find it especially useful for keeping track of all my friends from different schools and places I've been. Don't have to scribble out outdated addresses or phone numbers online.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Any one here on it? Addicted? Found it useful for finding old friends, school mates etc?

I found my grandparents family who still live in the "old country"

I find it quite amazing....

I'm on it. I've gotten in touch with the group organizing my ten year highschool reunion. I've been able to keep in touch with the events occuring amongst my local circle of friends. And I've even been able to get in touch with cousins I'd lost contact with. I've been loving it.